carrots

sezied coilovers

hi my jom coilovers are sezied any ideas on how to free them off i want to raise the back a bit.

I'd start with some penetrating oil on the adjuster rings (presuming this is what's seized)and try to take the weight of the springs with compressors.

I can't believe I gave the above response without using the many possible double entendres to be had (funnar funnar)

I'd start with some penetrating oil on the adjuster rings

Giggidy.... :fondle:

Can be a right f ucker them spigot rings, hammer and flat head in the notches, or apply some heat, also try winding them the opposite way. If that dont work then i would get some new ones, Jom are a bit naff anyway tbh so they could be at the end of there 2/3 year life span.

Indeed. I've generally spend whatever money has been needed on my Corrado over the last few years but suspension really is a massively expensive hurdle I struggle to get over. Anything half decent is serious money :(

In my experience, I've never been able to fully un-seize coilovers on the car. Move them a little yes but solve the problem completely no.

And even if you do, you tend to make of mess of the adjust rings. Bashing / hammering / chiselling etc...

Best way i've found is to strip either a pair or all four off the car and using a vice to hold each one still, thoroughly soak and clean the accessible threads with a wire brush.

Remove spings / helper springs where possilble and leave just the body of the coil over remaining for a thorough degrease - wirebrush - clean.

They often seize or jam when they've been adjusted without being cleaned before hand so you end up with dirt/grit in the threads between the body and adjuster ring.

Carried this out with 2-3 sets of Weitecs and given them all a new lease of life. Including a set which were thoroughly seized on the car and wouldn't move a inch.

Re grease and then protect in some way during the winter months. That's my 2penth. :)

Edited by StueyB

I might get the blow torch on mine,are there any budget coilovers beter than jom or are they all from same place with different colour springs

If you can take them off, cut the top off a 2 litre pop bottle and soak them in diesel for a day or 2 ;)

Careful with heat, they might pop lol

*COUGH* and the interest isnt actually that bad *COUGH*

*COUGH* so you could have epic coilovers for like £35 a month *COUGH*

*COUGH* aaaaaaaaaaaaaand they have nylon spigots and entirely stainless bodies, to adjust mine i literally wipe them with a cloth loosen the grub screw and spin them with my fingers *COUGH*

ill stop being a bad influence now....

but i will leave this here

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/performance/coilover-suspension-kits/car/volkswagen/corrado-vr6/kw-suspension-variant-2-coilover-kit-lowers-front-45-85mm-rear-45-85mm

and they have a sale on..

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/performance/coilover-suspension-kits/car/volkswagen/corrado-vr6/st-suspension-st-xa-coilover-kit-lowers-front-40-70mm-lowers-rear-40-70mm

:thumbleft:

Had that problem on my KWs and other brands of c'overs in the past. Life's too short for hours of faff, so I just cut the seized spring perches off and bought new ones, and as Stuey B said, wire brush the f'ck out of the threads before putting the new perches on! Gaffer tape the exposed threads, which works well.

Liking Borachris's idea too!

Had that problem on my KWs and other brands of c'overs in the past. Life's too short for hours of faff, so I just cut the seized spring perches off and bought new ones, and as Stuey B said, wire brush the f'ck out of the threads before putting the new perches on! Gaffer tape the exposed threads, which works well.

Life maybe too short however I only went down the new spring perches route once after finding out the cost to replace all 4 with Weitec/KW...

Taping exposed threads is a good shout though. Remove and redo if you need to adjust.

I want something better n fully adjustable damper n height?

Looking at ST range or KW if I can stretch the budget.

Unless something else is as good and cheaper???

I want something better n fully adjustable damper n height?

Looking at ST range or KW if I can stretch the budget.

Unless something else is as good and cheaper???

suspension is very much you get what you pay for

KW V3's are meant to be the dogs danglies

i wish i could have made the jump from the V1's but i couldnt afford it at the time.

if funds allow in future i would like to put the V1's off the VR onto my valver & then get the V3's on the VR :D

I was thinking of goin for kW v2s or the st equivalent

I don't think my car will ever be going around a track, so v3s maybe overkill? Or should I be going for the v3s

I don't think my car will ever be going around a track, so v3s maybe overkill? Or should I be going for the v3s

IIRC the V3's are full adjustable & allow: height, rebound & compression to be set individually

thus you can get them set exactly as you desire

plus with some playing around & testing you could have a 'soft(er)' setup for normal journeys & motorways & then a 'firm' setup for spirited or track driving

FYI i found buying them direct from KW was the cheapest option for my V1's & they will price match (or used to)

dont get me wrong i love the V1's & on smooth roads they are superb, around the bends they are awesome too but our UK ****ty roads can sometimes make them feel rather bumpy. the V3's would allow you to set them to avoid any harshness

or another idea that came to me on the weekend......im sure ive read on here that KW can provide an alternative spring rate to that which is 'out of the box' so to speak.

IIRC Kev Bacon knows of a slightly softer spring rate which you could specify for the V1's for example, thus removing some of the harshness caused by our awful roads (the suspension would not give you any issue if they would gave us decent roads to drive on)

I have V2's and can honestly say along side a full poly bush kit they are phenomenal, best coilovers ive owned and constantly get comments like "i cant believe how smooth it is and its that low" they have adjustable rebound and height also, much bigger gap between the v1s and 2s than the 2s and 3s is the general feed back i acquired from across the web when i was looking for mine.