Sign in to follow this  
aide

Wheel bearings

After being robbed £71 quid by a local garage for changing a front wheel bearing (and its still making noise) have decided I'm going to do other bearings myself.

The rears are pretty easy I've heard, and I've arranged a hydraulic press for the fronts.... is there any stumbling points I should be aware of, as I don't want to take it back to the local guy half done and be robbed a second time :x

Any comments appreciated :D

Made a school boy error - i told him it was the front, which it was at that time.

Problem now is I suspect he hasn't fitted it perfectly, and the noise is indistinguishable from possible other bearings going.

That's partly reason for investigating!

He managed to break a mates land rover axle last month :shock:

My left front bearing is becoming very noisy too. :roll:

I am going to the service by myself as always... :mrgreen:

Any advices? :idea:

If you want it done in a day the best thing to do is to get some other hubs and get your new bearings pressed into them. Then all you have to do is swap the hubs over. im pretty sure corrado hubs are the same as 16v golf ones(16v and G60 are anyway). The only time consuming issues are splitting the track rod end and the main balljoint. Oh and sometimes the huge driveshaft bolt is well tight(dont forget to loosen that off while the car isnt jacked up :oops: ) As long as you set some time aside for it, its not really that big a job :roll:

Cheers Harry, good idea about hubs - will try and find some :!:

i am doing mine this weekend but i have bought new hubs and bearings, i remember doing my golf ones, this will make it easier. i am also putting new wishbones, rollbar link rods and complete lowering kit on. so it should be like a new car at the front end. hopefully :)

done a front wheel bearing today, the hub bolt was a b!t@h as was the ball joint one,

air guns and a blow torch seemed to do the job after an hour or so, defo worth getting a proper press to but the bearing in the hub though!!

Finally identified 'noise' was actually from rear wheels after driving around with rear seats down :roll:

Anyway, checked rear bearings and they were fine - then decided to file down the edges and corners and internal web of both rear discs, hey presto noise gone... :D Can't believe it was that simple :oops: