Sign in to follow this  
Robbo149

Fan / electrical problems

Thought I'd post my own thread after hijacking someone elses, apologies.

Anyway, more bizarre fan behaviour on the way home from work tonight.

I started it up & straight away the temp gauge shot up to the top & the coolant warning light started flashing! switched off & checked the coolant - ok, so I turn on the ignition (without starting), & temp gauge is fine, no warning light. As soon as I start the car up, the temp gauge shoots up again! 'Ar$e' I thinks, & drive home. Arrive home & oil temp is around 90 (coolant gauge has been at max all the while). Switch off to have another look under the bonnet & the fan kicks in! Switch ignition back on (without starting engine) & temp gauge is normal (around the 80 mark), but the fan stops. Start the engine & up goes the temp gauge again! Switch off & the fan kicks in again! & stays on for ages (even at 80 deg).

What's going on???!!!... help!

Isn't there some kind of coolant temp sensor on the block?, could this be at fault?

Cheers,

Robbo

Sounds like a seriously dodgy earth to me... check your earth strap from the battery to the engine/gearbox (via the chassis behind the battery) If it's gone green and nasty, time for a new one (around £25)... ;)

Dunno where the other earths are on the VR6 though, but it could also be one of those... :?

More Shinnanigans this morning!... temp gauge goes straight up & warning light flashes as before (this is from a cold start), only now the oil warning light flashes too!!! All levels are fine, & oil & coolant temps seem fine when the cars warmed up. The fan still kicks in when I switch off the ignition (even when cold). It now appears that my rear wiper is working again though!... bizarre!

I think I need an auto electrician to check it out, I can't see anything obvious. Pretty sure it must be an electrical problem???

Ever seen the film 'Christine'?

Any suggestions welcome (thanks Henny).

Robbo

Christine, LOL!

Now here's a shot in the dark..... you know the 3 senders in the stat housing? Well the yellow one is for the dash temp guage. I'm guessing that's kabuggered by the way it thinks the engine is overheating from a cold start! Perhaps the ECU also takes a sneak peak at the sender and is also over-reacting based on what it's being told?

Dunno.... that was a very Inspector Cloiseau bit of detective work..... but you never know!

Seem strange how this has comea about after a spell in a garage.... they must have disturbed something.

I'd say yellow coolant temp sensor too, as that also control fan run on/

check the wiring first, if all appears ok try a new sensor.

im having a overheating problem with mine,ive bridged the 2 wires on the yellow sensor and the fan does work,so does that mean the sensor is fcuked?

Are these the three amigos on the front of the block, below the manifold? One blue, one yellow & one black? If so I checked the wiring & it seems ok.

How is the sensor removed to fit a new one? Does it unscrew?

Thanks for the tips guys. Not sure whether this would cause the oil warning light to flash, or my rear wiper not to work, maybe just coincidence & unrelated!

Cheers,

Robbo

you pull the c clip out and then you can pull the sensor out.

drain the coolant into a bucket first, or at least some of it.

Do you have a water leak above your fusebard??? give it a spray with WD40, seems like you've got a few weird electrical faults.

Good point Phat, I'll have a look at the fuseboard, didn't notice any leaks when I changed the wiper relay though.

Weird is right!... I keep wondering what it'll do/not do tomorrow?!!

Cheers,

Robbo

Another update - this morning the temp gauge did it's usual, shooting up to max & warning light flashing, no oil warning light today though :?

Just been out to local dealer at lunchtime to order a new cps (no stock, on it's way from Germany... bugger!). Anyway, on the way back to work the temp gauge suddenly dropped to the bottom! but the warning light was still flashing.

Any more clues?!

Cheers,

Robbo

We don't have a clue!! It's earthing, or supply, or every single sensor has gone bonkers!

I'd suggest you start at the battery and work both ways from there with a voltmeter on various circuits till you find something weird!!!

(Do the basics first - what's the accross-the-battery voltage when the engine's running and not running etc.)