Sign in to follow this  
ben16v

new Koni`s & H&R`s

finally fitted my new shocks an springs today

absolutely fantastic!! i had to go round every roundabout till i was dizzy on my test run.

i`ve left em on full soft for now, the ride feels firm but very complient over the bumps, really tight without much body roll, compared to sonia`s standard C its really responsive, with the slightest touch of the steering wheel the car begins to turn in! (have a guess what her cars getting next??)

i had jamex setup before and although they felt fine they dont compare at all (and my front springs were in 3 pieces when i removed them!!!)

for someone who doesnt need coilovers i can recommend this setup as a comfortable but sporty drive.

thanx to Kev Haywire whose posts were very influential in my purchase!

if anyones thinking about new shocks and springs save up the extra and get some of these!

and thanx to everyone on here for such an informative and friendly forum-keep it up!!

Get some Neuspeed or Eibach anti-roll bars on there next and you won't believe what the car will then be capable of :wink:

dont you worry they`re already on my wish list!

do i need front and rear ARB`s or just rears for now?

Will be fitting this setup too my C at the weekend all going well. ALso have these in my GOlf mk2 and its by far the best all round kit I have come across.

Did you fit new top mounts, ARB links etc? If they are anyway soft or on their way out this new suspension will speed up the deterioration process. New bumps stops too I persume :)

Benji16v, you can fit just a rear Neuspeed (25 or 28mm - both have adjustable leverage) and fit a front as and when. Not sure about the 16V but the VR doesn't feel like it needs one at the front, but fitting one would definitely improve the handling still further. Go for 28 if you're feeling brave, otherwise the 25mm is fine, set on the middle pick up point. The rear one does the most work in terms of body roll flattening, so that one will have the most profound and noticable effect.

You think your turn-in is good now, wait till you get one of those strapped to the rear axle :lol:

Eibach are also good and you get a pair of them for around £200, whereas the Nspeeds are £170 each by the time you've added VAT and delivery, and more annoyingly, they have to come from the states, so you're looking at around a 3 week lead time. Awesome and C&R are two UK importers of Nspeed kit. Both are excellent companies to order from.

Markmcie, no reuse the drop links. If you fit new ones you'll never get them on the bar! VR6 owners are lucky as the drop links just thread onto the end of the bar, so swearing a cursing for us :lol:

The Neuspeeds are rose-jointed to allow natural wishbone and axle movement. The Eibachs are fixed and not adjustable.

Both are excellent products and will make your C handle better than you ever thought possible for a FWD car.

The chassis will feel so inert that it's hard to tell which end is driven, a suspensioned C is *that* good.

K

rihjt heres what i fitted

koni TA`s

H&R springs

both from stealth

rubberstop x2 part no 357412303E

stop x2 part no 191512131B

tube x2 part no 191513425

bellows x2 part no 357413175

mounting x2 part no 357412329

all from VAG

we checked all the other bushes, ball joints etc... and all seemed in good nick, just cut the bumpstops as required.

oh, and i left the rear height adjusting C-clip on the middle slot.

all this leaves the car sitting 55cm from the centre of the arch to ground with about 10cm of clearance on the front spoiler (90mm one) a modest drop but far from being too low! :D

Yeah my VR barely looks lowered at all with the same kit! But it's enough to drop the centre of gravity a bit whilst still retaining a generous amount of suspension travel.

My 90mm spoiler is 125mm off the ground, so the 16V springs are obviously a bit lower.

i`m parked facing down a hill and its pi$$in down so i rushed a bit and would probably say they`re the same!

LOL.. measured mine on flat ground and funnily enough it has the required clearance height for Stealth's rollers! No wonder he recommends that combination :lol:

My suspension is top of list to sort out... whats costs involved in H&R Springs and KONI Shocks?

I thought you'd defected to an A3? :wink:

Costs.... can't honestly remember mate. I think my Konis/HRs/Neuspeeds are the wrong side of £800. Plus fitting of course!

From memory, front Konis are about £100 each, the rears are approx £85 each and the H&Rs are about £140. And if you want the Neuspeeds, they're £170 each, or £200 for the Eibachs (pair).

Il fait tres cher....

K

about £500 for shocks springs inc delivery and vat from stealth

about £100 for the other stops etc...

then just fitting and tracking/camber costs!

Yep, if you factor in bush replacement, labour, VAT, you're looking at well over £1000 for a chassis overhaul of that calibre.

Worth every penny tho.

I thought you'd defected to an A3? :wink:

Costs.... can't honestly remember mate. I think my Konis/HRs/Neuspeeds are the wrong side of £800. Plus fitting of course!

From memory, front Konis are about £100 each, the rears are approx £85 each and the H&Rs are about £140. And if you want the Neuspeeds, they're £170 each, or £200 for the Eibachs (pair).

Il fait tres cher....

K

I nearly did till I went to the main dealer and it was a case of 'oh dear'.......... :lol:

Ouch thats heavy - the springs arent too bad though...

Wil fit myself of course and save the money left over for some Eibachs :twisted:

Good man, you *know* you want the Eibachs. I'm sure I can use my powers of persuasion to tempt you and Benji into those :lol:

Yeah the springs are cheap, after all, they're just a bit of bent wire, *but*, they do need the best dampers to control them and that's when things get expensive. Then when they are on, the old bushes can't hack them, so it's one big downward spiral of costs and more costs :cry:

£450....not bad.

Oh and I would *always* urge anyone considering this upgrade to get the TA rears too. They're only £8 more than the non-adjustables last time I looked.

Once you start dialling in that damping and feel the chassis perfectly in-tune with this setup over fast, undulating B roads, you'll be so glad you coughed up the cash :lol:

Have I flogged this setup enough yet?

LOL....so do Schrick :wink:

Tom, Roddy and a couple of others on here hate me for bludgening them into getting their moth ridden (especially Roddy's) wallets out :mrgreen:

And VT too...

(And as for my wallet, the moths had moved out because they couldn't stand the isolation!!)

LOL.... it's all about sharing the knowledge guys......share the wealth :lol:

You took some mega persuasion on the VTs Matt but you're glad you took the plunge, aren't you?

Koni part number: 8741-1259S front (£190)

8041-1108S rear (£130)

H/R spring set: 29872 (£130)

Where was that from?

As for my (one and only) VT mount kev, yeah I took some persuasion. But the main reason I did it was because I was going to replace the mount *anyway*, due to it being original and me whacking a big torque booster on the car, and the Schrick being close to the underside of the bonnet yada yada..

Primary concern was really keeping the Schrick under control, but the handling and gear change does benefit too (not all of the perceived improvement can be put down to the clutch change I did at the same time I'm sure).

Probably asked a few times but just replace the front mount or all of them? - As you know the VR is coming off road shortly and thought I might do the front mount too at same time as access will be easier with the bumpers off and the cylinder head!!! :lol: