SR_Neale

T cut / clay what's the difference?

Just been reading up on clay products and was wondering what the difference between using t cut and clay are. Do they do different things?

T cut and other cutting compounds like G3 are abrasive and remove paint or lacquer from the surface, a clay should just remove dirt not removed by normal washing

So if t cut has been used is there any point using clay? Only use t cut cos paint was badly faded will use clay in future. Is clay any good on faded paint?

T-cuts no good really for orignal paint as it's so hard... you need to look at the 3M products like Fast Cut Plus etc...

I'd have a word with a local body shop or detailer for advice...

I have polished car with mop and compound just used t cut to get the last bits of compound off. I am a fully qualified body repairer but don't work in the trade any more (not enough money in it anymore) but have never heard of clay until I started using this forum. You learn something new every day lol.

Hope last post didn't come across as a matter of factly not my intention but when I read it back realised it could sound like that.

I would clay first, as this will remove any contaminates that are bonded to the surface of the paint.

This would make cutting the paint a little easier, and stop your pad clogging with contaminates, and causing you more swirls to polish out.

Try a g3 glay mit with the g3 detailer you will never use a daft lump of clay again in your life !!

Try the 3 stage 3m green yellow and blue its what i used on mine after a full respray and its come up more than exellent

Try a g3 glay mit with the g3 detailer you will never use a daft lump of clay again in your life !!

Try the 3 stage 3m green yellow and blue its what i used on mine after a full respray and its come up more than exellent

Is that the same kit that's on ebay for £126.99? It should be good at that price.

Sling the leather as well . A MIT for washing and a micro fibre towel for drying .

I find a microfibre just slides water around rather than absorbing so always wipe off first with a chamois. Doing something wrong there?

Edited by fla

Some people now use a clay cloth, also there is IronX which is meant to do a similar job, really stinks though.

Minefield. Head blown

:)

Basically you used to wash car with a sponge and dry with a leather then polish with one type of polish - however that leads to lots of tiny scratches as both the sponge and the leather retain dirt on their surfaces, microfibers and mits draw dirt in reducing the damage.

Clay bars remove bonded contaminates from paint that regular washing won't, thinks like traffic film, tree sap etc you would be surprised at what comes off when using one even after washing.

You then wash again, dry and can use a cutting compound (dedicated scratch remover) of various grades and abrasion to achieve a high shine - think of the cutting compounds as various grades of wet and dry.

Finally you then seal the paintwork with a wax - these are either natural like the various Zymol ones which give more 'wetness' but less definition (sharpness of the reflected image) or a synthetic one which used to give better definition but without the wet look.

It is a minefield and its also a field that is moving along at a fair rate in terms of development of polishes, waxes etc.

If you have a few hours someone like Polished Bliss will clear up a lot of questions and show what to look for etc Polished Bliss

Nah, iron-x/ ferris dueller etc remove embedded iron particles (brake dust, remnants from grinding, etc) without contact (spray it on and it all dissolves away)

Clay bars / mitts remove all surface contaminants from the surface that have wedged themselves into the clear coat. You'd use it before polishing and then waxing to make sure you have a 100% clean paint surface.

If any of you lot are interested, check out detailing world, there's a whole host of information on there about cleaning your cars!

I read somewhere you should absolutely not use the Iron-X stuff on alloy wheels, when / if you have painted brake callipers as it can destroy the paint finish? Any truth in that?

Basically , the clay bar , or the more modern stuff which someone else mentioned , removes the tar and the like off the bodywork . I learnt this when I bought mine . I spent hours polishing it , but when I looked closely you could see the grimy lumps trapped under the polish and wax . So I had to do the bottom again starting with a bar . Micro fibres do work , I always use one when I'm drying the car .

Edit , it took me too long to reply , already stated above .

wash a micro-fibre towel in detergent before using, like new towels they don't absorb water until washed a few times, much better than a leather once you get them absorbing water, and loads cheaper.

T-cut is pretty good at removing tar too, or petrol :)

There is a big difference between a micro fibre cloth and a drying towel

Yes the 3M kit is expensive but when you have a full car to wet sand and polish i wanted good results , i bid on a kit on ebay with 3bottles of liquid and 3 of each pad , green yellow and blue ,i think i won it at 90 quid so quite alot fpr your money