davidwort

I feel sad for Greece

I love the country and Islands, I know the elite borrowed too much but they've had 5 years of depression and now it's all going to hell-in-a-handcart.

Apparently supermarkets and petrol stations emptying and pensionners collapsing outside closed banks this morning.

So much for European solidarity, I hope for gods sake we vote to leave next year.

I feel sorry for the people of Greece but they are being led up the garden path by their government. They cant expect to make improvements unless they address their overspending and ensure people are paying the taxes they should. Saying that im in too minds at the moment about Europe - part of me wants to leave but happy to stay if we are able to gain more controls back. Not convinced by those tat say leaving would mean we lose our ability to trade but then again trying to find fatcs to base my judgement on is nearly impossible

In all serious its seems to be case of have cake and eat it for Greece.

Quite happy to throw money at overly generous public pensions, tax dodging like its going out of fashion etc etc but don't want to leave the Euro.

Germany wants to keep the Euro afloat as it prevents exchange rates impacting their manufacturing output but if Greece was still using its own currency then arguably it would be in less of mess as the currency would have devalued to compensate.

Frankly the whole Euro project is a joke, they can't even get an annual sign off on the accountancy books!

All I can say is it makes me glad we kept our own currency and never joined in with it. Not sure how it was ever going to work really as the reality is not all countries are equal in terms of their GDP, etc and therefore their overall value.

Hope they can work something out for Greece - like so many of these situations, it's the average joes who are suffering right now and it's not very nice to see / hear about.