GreenRado

93 VR6 intermittently cutting out and intermittently not starting

Taking a step back, have you checked wiring continuity from the relay to the pump? Try also applying power directly to the pump.

The feed and return pipes from the tank are not accidentally the wrong way round are they?

Relay 67 turning on and off as it should, tested a 167 in there as well, same story. Checked fuel hoses on the tank and they are correct. Took a separate hose off the feed line from the tank to test and not a drop came out.

I have a battery I can test the pump directly with, so I'll try that next.

As Hasan has said then, check you have power to the terminals on the pump (Lift the boot carpet and open up the inspection hatch), and go from there mate. Its pointing toward the pump though by the sound of things.

Taking a step back, have you checked wiring continuity from the relay to the pump? Try also applying power directly to the pump.

The feed and return pipes from the tank are not accidentally the wrong way round are they?

You were right on the money! Decided I'd pull the fuse box out a bit to check the state of the wiring and instantly noticed a black wire fall down with a bit of solder on its end.

Found a severed yellow wire on the end of a yellow connector more or less in line with the pump relay. Hey presto, holding them together and the relay clicks and she starts first time. Revs healthy, idles fine and then of course pulling the wire away and she stalls out after 10 or so seconds, with the exact hesitance she was exhibiting before. Time to get the soldering iron out and make sure that connection never comes loose again. No other loose/severed wires in sight.

FYI that wiring was nothing to do with me. Oh how I wish I'd checked that sooner! :bonk:

glad you solved it, thats perseverance for you, so well done to you.

Invariably with our cars with multiple previous owners these kinds of issues are likely to crop up, and these are the most common ones we are likely to discount. I for one automatically assume that all wiring etc is fine and immediately go to the harder more complex (& expensive!) items. And that's after owning my car for over 10 years

glad you solved it, thats perseverance for you, so well done to you.

Invariably with our cars with multiple previous owners these kinds of issues are likely to crop up, and these are the most common ones we are likely to discount. I for one automatically assume that all wiring etc is fine and immediately go to the harder more complex (& expensive!) items. And that's after owning my car for over 10 years

Nail on the head right there! Live and learn though I suppose! And thanks :)

Vw wiring diagrams are ridiculous!

Yes they are! I'm trying to sort a wiring fault on my inlet manifold temp sender but I don't 100% trust the wiring diagram is correct. The wire colours are different for a start