Jamie

Corrado V Porsche 911s

Just wondered if anyone on here has ever made the step up to a 911 from a Corrado? If so, how have you found it - would it be considered a wise move? I see so many people on here sell up who don't seem to be away very long before they end up back in a Rado just wondered if many had gone through it with a Porsche....

Tried a 997 Carrera a month or so back. Very nice car, not the quickest but did feel a lot more special than the Corrado would. Different league to be honest.

Yeah, driven a few 911's (almost bought a 996) and it's a different league to the corrado. Step up in quality, step up in price though!

I'd also consider a Cayman S.....

Yeah I understand it's a completely different league but just wondered with the price of 996s so ridiculously low whether it's actually worth the additional outlay to make the step up as opposed to say going turbo route with my VR. Always fancied a 911 but I must admit having a really sorted Rado to surprise the odd Porsche owner really appeals too :lol:

Love the Cayman Mic but just wonder whether I'd spend the rest of my life thinking "I wish this was a 911"

Yeah not sure they can be really compared to be honest! I think the 911 is the kind of car most Corrado owners aspire to move up to, myself included!

Now is a great time to pick up a 996 - they can't possibly go any lower in price!

996's are nice but not as good looking as the 997 which also seem to be coming more reasonable just lately.

Tbh Jim I wasn't really meaning how do they compare as such, more like you say - it's a logical step up the ladder - how many of us have done it and what's it been like sort of thing...

Haha Chris - I'm probably the only Porsche fan in the world that actually really likes the 996 :D Especially the C4S

Haha! Oh lord the amount of times I've debated that very question mate. And I change my mind all the time...... much to a few people's annoyance....

Thing that keeps me in the 'rado is that you don't see many (unlike a ten a penny Porsche) and my 'rado doesn't cost much so I don't mind the fact it only gets used a couple of times a month.

Haha Chris - I'm probably the only Porsche fan in the world that actually really likes the 996 :D Especially the C4S

You're not alone - I think the 996's look good as well. I'd have one in a heartbeat :)

I do like the 996 and especially the c4s but I like the classic headlight look of the 997.

If I ever sold the storm it would be replaced with a C4s or 997 carrera s

I'm with Chris. 997 over a 996. Looks much more lithe.... like a 911 should.

Haha tell me about it Mic - I've wanted a 911 all my life and may be in a position in the near future to realising my dream but I go from turboing the Corrado to a set of cams and a map, to selling it and buying a 911, to keeping it and buying a 911 repeat ad infinitum. Even considered an A4 3.0 TDi Cabrio (easy one to get past the mrs) but I would say that ones off the menu now.

The main sticking point for me personally is the amount of work I've put into the Corrado and also I really detest selling cars

I agree, I'd never get anywhere near what I've put into the Corrado if I sold. Part of me says I should turbo it, then if I still fancy something else sell up.

At least good rado's are keeping their money. Gotta watch some of the cheaper 911's as the 996's are known for issues with gearboxes and inlet issues

Issue is 996 and 997 Gen.1 cars have the real chance that the bores scores on them. Its a real issue. I wouldn't buy one that hadn't been inspected and even then it can apparently happen quickly. Looking at £6-7k for a rebuild.

I was looking at 996 C4S or maybe an early 997 C2S and 997 was a nicer car. I couldn't trade my S4 in for one as believe it or not it was faster, sounded almost as good and was actually just as much fun to drive.

I think the 996 is quite unique and its looks set it apart from the rest, remember seeing the gt3 in red and white and to be frank it's a car that really sticks in my mind on looks alone.

Funny this threads come up.

I'm considering options ATM for a weekend toy and a 996 is one of the cars on my list of candidates but I still think IF the right corrado came up for sale I'd be tempted. I do fancy another and have done for some time but the Corrado that I want I don't think exists lol.

I must be mad.

Funny this threads come up.

I'm considering options ATM for a weekend toy and a 996 is one of the cars on my list of candidates but I still think IF the right corrado came up for sale I'd be tempted. I do fancy another and have done for some time but the Corrado that I want I don't think exists lol.

I must be mad.

Not really its quite normal to want something unique.

I still like coxylaaaads old car,n3ps turbo'd motor and in fact quite a few others. Haywires old car also ticks a lot of boxes as does Jamies red machine, kipvr, micvr etc...

I'm with Chris. 997 over a 996. Looks much more lithe.... like a 911 should.

Snap, 997 every time especially the Gen2.

Ian.

If your serious look at the Hartech page for the reasoning behind the issues and a buyers guide.

Unfortunately the engine issues seem to affect the similar aged Boxsters as well. I tried the 911 thinking it would be a semi 4 seater but trying to get in and out the back would have been a PITA even for small kids. The best buy IMO is an Mk1 Boxster 3.2S, they arguably give you better handling, cheap to buy at the moment and you have that soft top option as well. There not much slower than a 911 costing double if not treble and the engine is known to be good.

My friend ran one as daily even through the winter and it cost him no more than a normal car would have.

Remember the 996 is basically a car designed around 2000 so they do feel a little old.

Still love them but if I was to get Id save up a little more and get a Gen.2 997 or 996 turbo.

The Boxster is a work horse by all accounts, and very capable. Only thing that puts me off is I'm not keen on soft tops..... of any marque really

996 Turbo could be a tempter

I've been reading everything there is to read about them believe me :lol: The general consensus seems to be any of the likely issues the early cars were likely to suffer would have been sorted by now. 911Virgin even recommend buying higher mileage cars rather than the lower mileage ones for this very reason.

Not really a fan of the Boxster so if I do make the jump it will be a 911. I know what you mean about the age thing Coullstar but I actually prefer the older ones, ideally if I had the money it would be a 964 or 993

Oh and cheers for the love Fla :)

964, 993 = get your chequebook out. I remember a few years ago a 964 Carrera would have been around £15k, now about £30k minimum.

993 even more.