Ambulancedaz

Fuel pump

Yeah, when you turn the ignition on (but not start the car), you should be able to hear a faint hum where its priming. Do it somewhere quiet to minimise background noise if you can. It'll last about 5 seconds or so, so you should be able to make it out if all is well.

Not while running, as its very quiet compared to an engine.

Are you concerned that you can't hear it or that it's too loud?

Edited by GreenRado
Piece of incorrect information

67 or 167 is the relay for the fuel pump. The fuse is shared iirc, but can't remember which one it is. Have a look on the front of the fuse cover for the correct number fuse mate.

You won't hear a VR6 pump prime as it is in the tank - there is no secondary lift unit like on the other cars. You can feel the relay energise if you put your finger on it when you turn on the ignition.

• Like 1

A bit worried about mine nowasays as I can hear it while the car is idling...........can't remember I could hear the pump in the B3 VR6......is it on it's way out ??

It's a VR6? You shouldn't hear it with the engine running, and without, only in the tank area. If it's another Corrado with a two pump system, one of them could have failed, making the other one work harder. Either way a noisy pump is not a good sign. Replace your fuel filter first if you haven't had it done recently - it could be as simple as that.

I've posted these pics before, my car cuts on low tank around roundabouts due to the pump / swirl pot assy rubber mounts dissolving, as the pump is now resting on the floor of the tank the pump is noisy and can be heard at idle

photo%201%202_zps4vl6lkri.jpg

photo%202%202_zpsth44u3ka.jpg

I've not been well for the last few days, hopefully I'll pull the pump again tomorrow and swap it either for a G60 housing assy and my current pump or the whole pump assy from my storm.

@dox - what part# is your pump btw?

I cant see a part number on it - probably a label removed when fitted?

Anything rubber inside the swirl pot / pump assy is just a melted mess, the G60 pump is seized so I've fitted the whole assy from the storm - this pump is noisy, but not too bad, I can hurl the car around roundabouts now with no starvation and once primed the car seems to start better, but its early days.

The original VAG or Pierburg parts number for the whole assembly should be on the round white lid that sits under the plastic flange on top of the tank. There may or may not be a part number on the damned pump itself. Thanks for looking - I'll let you know how I get on. My parts contact has asked Pierburg the 3 or 4 bar question and apparently they are pretty good at coming back to him. Best of luck with yours.