karmannski

Noisy engine VR6 , what it is?

Mileage 105K

VR6 Corrado.

Starts at 2k + revs.

All shields are ok, my mechanic is not 100% sure what it is, perhaps lifters.

So I added special fluid to clean them, yeasterday but only done 5miles since. Maybe it will stop after whille.

any ideas?

Hmmm... have you had the timing chain & tensioners inspected? Might be worth also getting a stethoscope to see if you can work out from where abouts the noise is coming from.

I suspect it's probably some kind of valve train noise, and most likely lifters. Had an extremely stuck / noisy one on mine recently and tried some tappet additive from Halfords which, after about 60-70 miles seemed to improve things, but after a 200 mile round trip this weekend the noise has returned so. Your mileage may vary. Best to budget for a new set of INA tappets (which can be found for about £85).

Personally I think the noisiest bit on most aging VR6s is the oil filter drive gear-train. Really upset that we didn't think to swap the middle shaft when the timing chains were done.

Sound chainy to me, maybe chain passing over a worn top tensioner, as Jim says, get a cheap stethoscope, i found it amazing to pin point a noise