MDMTechnik

VR6 Storm full restoration

Last week I purchased a VR6 Storm in Classic green with slight damage to the O/S wing, headlamp and slam panel, so have decided to give it a full bare metal respray.

The carpet and leather will get a full clean to try and bring them back to new condition.

I am slightly stuck as what to do with the engine...Leave as a 2.9, bore to 3.2 high revving monster, R32, Supercharger, turbo???

what do you think, is it best to leave stock as its a storm???

Here are a few picture before I got my hands on it.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]82182[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]82183[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]82184[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]82185[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]82186[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]82187[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]82188[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]82189[/ATTACH]

I already had some spare late spec rolled wings in Red which I thought were in perfect condition. After taking all the paint off, they had been repaired due to a slight dent and rust around a indicator hole. The doors were basically the same, they looked perfect but upon removing the paint, there was corrosion in the lower corners and both doors had already had slight repairs.

So I am now trying to source new doors, wings and a slam panel.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]82190[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]82191[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]82192[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]82193[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]82198[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]82199[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]82204[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]82205[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]82206[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]82207[/ATTACH]

I don't know why some of the pictures are displaying upside down!

In the mean time, all interior has been removed. Doors are now removed and the glass is nearly all out so I can finish getting the whole shell prepared.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]82200[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]82201[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]82202[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]82203[/ATTACH]

Welcome to the forum! Fair play for restoring her, great progress so far.

I would leave the engine as is if I were you, but it's your car!

Welcome to the forum, great progress as said, its always good to see lots of attention being lavished on these cars!

As for what to do with the engine, it depends on your own long term plans really. If you're planning on any sort of return on your investment, I'd say forget it if you do lots of engine work or swap it out. If you're in it for the long run, then there are plenty of options!

Pretty sure the cylinder walls are too thin to bore it out safely to 3.2, so an R32 is an option that has been covered a fair bit.

Forced induction brings some fantastic results, but budgets tend to keep going and going unless you really do your homework and are realistic about how much you need to spend.

Either way, good luck with whatever you choose mate, and hope to see some more updates along the way! :thumbright:

Welcome along to the forum . Great work being done with your car . Both Diarmaid and Sean have made good comments about what to do with the engine . I would stick to the standard engine , these cars are getting more and more rare . Sure, there will always be a market for modified cars ,but i do feel the standard car will be more sort after in the future .But as stated above its your car and your personal choice . After all if we all did the same thing the car world would be a boring place to be .

Edited by robrado974

Thanks for the replies guys.

I will probably just rebuild it to a 2.9 with some very slight mods inc Schrick inlet manifold. That way I will be sticking to the plan of keeping everything original or rare option / parts.

The big power can wait for my other Corrado project!

Original front screen is finally out after 4 hours...its the first time he has removed one without breaking it!! :dance:

Always makes me really happy to see another Corrado getting saved. Nice work.

I'd always also vote for the original 2.9 - and definitely think the route of some suitable upgrades like cams, etc is the way to go. Can't wait to see it all finished :)

Looks like ex-copart?

The reg number is familiar too - ex forum member?

Yes your right Dox, it was from Co-part.

History of the car was very good and stayed with VW main dealers (if thats a good thing) up to 2011 if I remember correctly. Really no expense spared with it and genuine VW parts were always used which I like.

Engine is out and ready for the bay to be prep for paint.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]82217[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]82218[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]82219[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]82220[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]82221[/ATTACH]

You don't hang around do you. Are you doing any body mods or going standard. Good work will be keeping an eye on progress.

Bit of an update.

New doors ordered from VW and will be here next week.

Wings are now paint free along with tailgate, sunroof, rear bumper and bonnet.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]82224[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]82225[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]82226[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]82227[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]82228[/ATTACH]

Dash removed, front subframe removed and all guff cleared from engine bay. Will start prep work on this tomorrow.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]82229[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]82230[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]82231[/ATTACH]

No mods to exterior, I just want it completely standard, I have enough modified cars to keep me busy.

The aim is to get it fully prepped by the weekend and get it in primer by Thursday next week.

I HATE SANDING!!! :brickwall:

Out of interest (as I need to replace my wings sooner rather than later!) how did you strip the wings down? Did you use any paint stripper, or just a flap wheel on a grinder?

Bit of an update.

New doors ordered from VW and will be here next week.

Hope you don't mind me asking but how much did they work out at?

Out of interest (as I need to replace my wings sooner rather than later!) how did you strip the wings down? Did you use any paint stripper, or just a flap wheel on a grinder?

80grit 6" discs on mop, scotch brite wheels on angle grinder, wire wheels, thinners, heat gun, scraper, 180grit paper, degreaser and a **** load of patience. I did speak to VW in Germany about making a new set of wings but the tooling is damaged and they would want to make at least 500 sets!

Hope you don't mind me asking but how much did they work out at?

Brand new genuine doors worked out at £320 each (I think) plus postage from Germany. Also new outer seals which are approx £120 each.

Wow nice work. I get scared taking a door card off. I thought they sold new wings from vw heritage? Circa £200-300

Edited by edd

Wow nice work. I get scared taking a door card off. I thought they sold new wings from vw heritage? Circa £200-300

They do but only early wings. The late spec cars had wider front wings which are not available

Sh17 didn't know that. Was banking on this. Better get searching....

Engine is fully dismantled and sent off to the machine shop. Luckily its come apart as one chain guide had snapped and the tensioner was nearly worn through!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]82272[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]82273[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]82277[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]82278[/ATTACH]

New slightly oversized Mayle pistons (82.5mm) have arrived along with camshafts and heavy duty springs.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]82279[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]82280[/ATTACH]

A few parts being sent off to be soda blasted.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]82281[/ATTACH]

Edited by MDMTechnik