MDMTechnik

VR6 Storm full restoration

Incredible work ,

it does make me feel a little sad that all the work I have just done on mine is rather second rate by comparison :( !

Edited by Harrier

Just superb, what have you done with the engine parts?

All nuts, bolts, brackets etc have been zinc treated with yellow passivater. Block has been painted gloss black and all other parts have been soda blasted.

Gearbox is also getting same treated.

Does get a bit annoying if you forget one part that needs to be zinc treated and have to send stuff off again and again.

Gearbox takes ages as need to strip, clean, soda blast, rebuild and then give to gearbox company so they can strip and rebuild with new gears, syncros, bearings etc. Then take off parts that need to be zinc treated, send them off and then refit. Should be ready in a few weeks.

Serious work, any protection/coating applied to the alloy parts? It all looks fantastic, no wonder you're mate was getting jiggy!

All protection is applied during soda blasting process

What are you doing with the brakes out of curiosity? Are you just buying new calipers or refurbishing the existing ones - and if so, how are you going about refurbishing them?

I've been trying to find information out about getting them refurbished in a more traditional zinc coating rather than painting and just wondered, as you've been going zinc crazy with the bolts, whether this is an avenue you've been down before on this project or another?

A few more little bits done today. Couldn't resist fitting inlet just to see what it looks like.

c7535f6c6d98d4913ddf2bd5a39d4aab.jpg

40a6c5761af641dd9069a8a17eca18d4.jpg

7270d3632e294ab365f7c27e3719c0d2.jpg

8ede4d5ace7385337a07ed740389b55c.jpg

931f9d2265efe25f70bd26afa48eba74.jpg

5cec0b7a65062077dbc3418e6cd2483f.jpg

7d68106e0364f9e07e4c88c5eb74a0f9.jpg

8114d0e3077c17c5d5b4353892d10f5d.jpg

And this is the Idiot who painted my car. Adrian. Adrian decided to finger and lick my throttle body. Adrian also decided to hump my throttle body.

Adrian also owns a Ford.

Don't be like Adrian.

Don't be a twat.

c5737a7d1c88e01b4b828ce4a99ae6d1.jpg

5988d1d12ad7dac413df180dc32cc7c3.jpg

with an engine like that in the workshop I would be doing the same as Adrian - good lad lol

EDIT - though I would never own a frod! ;)

Edited by g0ldf1ng3r

What are you doing with the brakes out of curiosity? Are you just buying new calipers or refurbishing the existing ones - and if so, how are you going about refurbishing them?

I've been trying to find information out about getting them refurbished in a more traditional zinc coating rather than painting and just wondered, as you've been going zinc crazy with the bolts, whether this is an avenue you've been down before on this project or another?

Hello Jim.

To be honest I haven't even thought about the underside yet. I'm still debating on just shocks and springs, coil overs or even air ride. Shocks and springs is more than likely but that's as far as I have got. I will need to speak to them about zinc coating calipers as they would need to be fully stripped down as dipped in loads of solutions inc pickling acid which would mean new seals etc. 99% sure I will get them zinc treated. Might actually sent them off in the next batch. I will keep you posted.

Hello Jim.

To be honest I haven't even thought about the underside yet. I'm still debating on just shocks and springs, coil overs or even air ride. Shocks and springs is more than likely but that's as far as I have got. I will need to speak to them about zinc coating calipers as they would need to be fully stripped down as dipped in loads of solutions inc pickling acid which would mean new seals etc. 99% sure I will get them zinc treated. Might actually sent them off in the next batch. I will keep you posted.

I had my rear rear calipers refurbished at Biggred, if you specify high quality plated finish they send them to derby plating for the finish. I then spoke directly to derby plating and paid additional cost to have them 'copper strike' the calipers first and this adds additional corrosion protection to the calipers.

These are mine after plating:

IMG_1508_zpsqxprxb9k.jpg

IMG_1509_zpsx7y26duv.jpg

When I did the fronts, I sent direct to derby plating but I don't think they shot blasted them first (like biggred did) and they have started to tarnish slightly.

They look great but dare I ask how much that costs? Big Red aren't cheap anyway - and that's before you factor in additional treatments on your calipers!

They do look the nuts though Chris and exactly the sort of thing I had in mind.

They look great but dare I ask how much that costs? Big Red aren't cheap anyway - and that's before you factor in additional treatments on your calipers!

They do look the nuts though Chris and exactly the sort of thing I had in mind.

It was about £120 to biggred plus an additional £100 or so for the copper stike and high quality coating. The fronts were cheaper (directly to derby plating) but they didn't fit new seals, pistons and shot blast the calipers.

I guess for calipers and carriers, and given it's a full refurb, that's not bad. Cheers :)

Have just read the full thread, All I can say is it just blows me away the level and quality of the rebuild. If only I had the money time and knowledge .

Hats off to you sir.

After the previous post Chris made about your p/s pulley being the wrong way round I noticed a slight squeak from my belt today while tinkering with the car, sure enough, I had fitted mine the wrong way too !!

Thanks for that :thumbleft:

Been a good week on the stormsey.

The gearbox is stripped and is in the process of being soda blasted, Milltek exhaust ordered, wiring looms fitted, brake servo, brake and clutch master cylinder, heater box with new heater matrix and dash fitted. Sunroof in and fully tested, headlining fitted along with A, B, C pillar trims.

da505555b1a9ae338d0cbe3acbbabe60.jpg

d6183c510be1ddda1b4d3ae09b0e90a6.jpg

f093d3af649db45a995428d6a24735b1.jpg

a44d97a528fedb5ab9fe32ba1191b14a.jpg

3f284842d737c9f136c53205abbdea1d.jpg

Where on earth did you find that clutch master cyl ?!!

I struggled to find one 4 years ago !

I forgot to mention that the master cylinder I purchased was for non ABS C but I was sold it as a ABS version so it's being returned. Can't seem to get hold of a ABS master cylinder so I cleaned and painted the old one. Looks just as good.

Clutch master was cheap from memory and it's a genuine VW item. I don't want to take any of this apart again so I would rather spend the money now when it's easy to fit.

Not much gone in with Corrado as I have waiting for some parts and some free time.

f4dfbe1e48a6055b1ce28cbed20111c2.jpg

bd59915ece2a71aaef77f3da4b269a51.jpg

e8066bdedc896aea6887d0618922900f.jpg

Managed to get door on and some of the interior in.

2af89bf492bcaae6d609130430660103.jpg

Now decided to do underside aswell instead of doing it after summer. I just couldn't bring myself to build it up knowing some of it was ****.

Front subframe, arms and rear beam being stripped and then powder coated. All new bushes, bearings, joints and boots. Milltek exhaust is ordered so just need to decide on KW or Bilstein suspension.