hodges75

broke heater matrix

I took mine out, I wish now I'd replaced the foam padding on the flaps while it was out, live and learn.

Some have struggled and done it with the dash in situ

I've done it myself and took the dash out. I know a friend of mine has managed to do it dash in. So. It's really up to you :) Advantage to leaving the dash in is that you won't have to worry about rerouting the wiring again once you come to put it all back together which is a big plus.

If you are a contortionist you can do it with the dash in . It's not easy though . The best way is to set aside a weekend . Remove the dash and old matrix , on Saturday , make a start Friday night if you want , get a head start .Then refit the dash and other parts on Sunday .

Edited by robrado974

I've done mine recently and IMO it's definitely a dash out job. You can do it in situ but getting the dash out isn't too bad and makes it so much easier. Plus you can sort any squeaks and rattles as you put it all back... Win win! :thumbleft:

I will also follow up my previous comment by saying if I can do a heater matrix replacement, ANYONE can do a heater matrix replacement. I'm perpetually terrified about working on my own car, and the matrix job basically was done out of necessity rather than wanting to do it as at the time it was my only car and winter was fast approaching.

I can't overstate the level of satisfaction when I put it all back together again and it looked like a car, everything worked, and the first time I put the heater on! :)

It's not a hard job. Just take your time finding all the little hidden screws. Ask on here if you run into problems :)

thanks for the replies guys, I think im going to have a go next weekend with the dash in !!!!!!! might by pass it this weekend to stop the carpet getting wetter though:thumbleft:

Even if you do, so long as you keep turning them, they should unwind the threaded bolt from the back of the heater box anyway allowing you to remove it then work out how to get the nut / bolt combo out of the firewall!

Don't do like I did and saw the heater box out of the car, and have to buy another heater box!

I'd go with dash out, its not that much extra stuff to remove and it means you can refit the matrix without nipping any of the foam seals.