MZpog

Reliability - 2.0 16 vs VR6? Anyone using a VR6 daily? Anyone want a valver?

I current daily drive 2.0 has reasonable performance and gives a good average MPG despite it's sensible mods. It's also been pretty reliable (touches wood) over the miles I've put on it, but also should be with lots of preventative maintenance parts being fitted.

Recently I've been tempted by a couple of seemingly very nice VR6's and wonder if the VR's have better or worse reliability than the valver.

What sort of MPG can I expect from a VR6 used as a daily? Any other increase in running costs?

I keep telling myself better the devil you know (and love) but then think VR6 soundtrack.

Suppose I should test the water to see if anyone wants a valver as its sale would be needed to consider a VR.

Stuart.

My standard VR does 28 - 30 MPG on average, I do very little in town driving though. On a recent trip to Leeds and back the MFA read 38 MPG.

Other than general servicing I've not spent anything on the engine.

I wouldn't swap mine for a 16V

Having had both, I've been lucky that apart from an aftermarket immobiliser issue on the valver, and the rad going on the VR6, I've not had any problems at all. The VR isn't a daily though, but that said I'd have no qualms about using it daily if the need arises.

It depends on your commute as to economy though. If its mostly/all town driving, the you'll be lucky to see low 20s in a VR6. With a bit of a leg stretch, then mid to late 20s, and mostly motorway driving will return late 20s to mid 30s. Remember, that 38 mpg was probably taken with a warm engine and the trip computer reset on the motorway. Again, it all depends how heavy your foot is too. If you do a fair bit of preventative maintenance on the valver, I'm sure you'd carry that on with a VR too. Its not a complicated lump so most things are easily fixable.

Commute run not too much of an issue - 12 miles with 4 of it being traffic and 8 being moors b roads. Managed 36MPG today.

Having run both as a daily, to be honest they were pretty equal, but the VR is definitely a nicer daily driver just because of the gruntier motor and longer gearing.

Not sure I'd want to go back to using mine every day now. I'd have no hesitation jumping in it now and doing a long drive, but just don't think it's the kind of car to put through the daily grind any more. I know plenty of people who do though and love it.

Use mine everyday have days where i wish i had something newer but other days it still puts a smile on my face.

Commute run not too much of an issue - 12 miles with 4 of it being traffic and 8 being moors b roads. Managed 36MPG today.

My commute is 17 miles, only 1 mile of that is 20 zone, the rest is B roads

I tend to switch between the VR & the 1.8 16v throughout the week at present.....often deliberating which one to take as I eat my brekky in the kitchen lol

both of mine are very different beasts & I like driving both of them

however, despite the VR being much firmer due to the KWV1's (the valver is still on standard suspension & old ones at that lol) I find the VR is much less work. in that I mean in the VR you rarely need to change gear as it will happily sit at 20-30mph in 5th & not give a the slightest grumble when a little power is applied

the valver requires quite a few more gear changes

I have a 14 mile journey to work which is mostly 30-60mph country lanes & very often can see around 34mpg on the MFA in the VR.

I am unsure what the valver MFA reports as sometimes it definitely doesn't report correctly, 99.9mpg I don't think so ;) LOL

I do know some people prefer the smaller lumps as they say it gives a more responsive drive but to be honest I don't share that view as my VR has an awesome level of response to any steering input, it is superbly agile around the twisty's & gets the power down very well indeed

maybe if I got the valver to a similar state as the VR that view may change but the sound the VR produces will always win lol

Remember, that 38 mpg was probably taken with a warm engine and the trip computer reset on the motorway. Again, it all depends how heavy your foot is too. If you do a fair bit of preventative maintenance on the valver, I'm sure you'd carry that on with a VR too. Its not a complicated lump so most things are easily fixable.

Nothing was reset, the VR warms up quickly (compared to PD diesels anyway), it was an MFA reading so optimistic anyway.

I always brim the tanks of my cars and reset the trip too, for comparison purposes, MK3 tdi estate 55mpg, MK4 pd diesel estate 52mpg, 1.8T Octavia estate 33mpg, MK4 estate V5 10V 31mpg, VR6 28MPG, A80 cab 26MPG.

All are / were over long term ownership, not just a single tank, I've lived in the same place for 11 years and worked at the same place for 14 years, I tend to accelerate briskly and cruise at or around the speed limit

I use mine as a daily - but tend to try to avoid going into the thick of city centre traffic. On the motorway I average 30-35 mpg 75mph, around town low twenties. So if your particular commute is mainly open motorway (doesn't happen often) you'll be all right on the petrol costs.

On a twenty plus year old car you will inevitably have to spend some more money on maintenance and parts than on a newer beast, but that comes with the territory. The biggest pain is being off the road while you wait for parts to arrive from some obscure location - make sure you have access to a second car for those times.

Will say the VR is great in winter as the heating systems comes up to temperature quite quickly - so you get warm air out of the blowers in no time!

That's for sure Jim - that big hot 6 cylinder keeps everything nice and toasty - no real need for heated leather!

make sure you have access to a second car for those times.

or a second vehicle;)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]82233[/ATTACH]

I guess if you can run a 16v as a daily driver a VR6 shouldn't be anymore of a challenge. As with any older car I have found it is the ancillaries that cause the problems and then the inevitable delays in obtaining or fixing parts that are NLA from VW. A back up vehicle for these occasions is useful.

Another issue of using an older vehicle in the winter is that cracks in the underseal will let damp and salt in and cause rot.

Will say the VR is great in winter as the heating systems comes up to temperature quite quickly - so you get warm air out of the blowers in no time!

very true Jim

often, if you let the VR warm up n the drive for a few mins the blowers are warm before starting the journey :)

plus, though the leather can be hot in summer a toasty warm bum & back are very welcome from the heated seats on cold days

very true Jim

often, if you let the VR warm up n the drive for a few mins the blowers are warm before starting the journey :)

plus, though the leather can be hot in summer a toasty warm bum & back are very welcome from the heated seats on cold days

Already got the luxury of heated leather, I'll bet not many valver have though.

I thought a second car might come in handy for those journeys back from the breakers. Wouldn't fancy carrying a front bumper on a bike

I thought a second car might come in handy for those journeys back from the breakers. Wouldn't fancy carrying a front bumper on a bike

It's can be done with some quality tie-downs

[ATTACH=CONFIG]82234[/ATTACH]

Just a shame that the bowden cables are goosed and all the hot air blows down at your feet lol!

C's gotta love them.