Roger Chatfield

Was the Corrado meant to be the Mk2 Scirocco

Stealing this pic from Tempest's post I can't help but think the Corrado should have been the Mk2 Scirocco.

100_1681.jpg

It looks far more like a Mk1 than the mk2 ever did.

IMG_7172.jpg

side-view-Volkswagen-Corrado-G60-1991.jpg

phenom3.jpg

Then I think the Mk2 Scirocco should have been the Mk2 Passat coupe...

img91_02052010113615_2_350.jpg

Did someone mess up at VW.

Rog.

It looks far more like a Mk1 than the mk2 ever did.

The Mk1 Scirroco looks the better of the two IMO

Edited by MZpog

Suppose it was being sold at the same time for a while - but yes similar although more like the bigger beefier cousin

The Mk1 Scirroco looks the better of the two IMO

Know what you mean, I've always loved the shape of the Mk1, I had an Alfasud Sprint for a number of years, designed by Giorgetto Giugiaro, same person who designed the Mk1... I do think they have an uncanny resemblance to each other....lol.... Think someone got paid twice for the same design.

L-VW-Scirocco-1.jpg

Screen-Shot-2012-10-22-at-7.59.56-PM.png

Rog.

More bad marketing by VW. They sold the Corrado as the higher end option while the MkII Scirocco was still on sale. It was really kind of a side project for the designers. The special German Corrado book has lots of pics and history.

The Corrado was always intended to be the MK3 Scirocco however. It was just that development costs (and therefore the retail price for the car) spiralled beyond what was originally projected, and they quickly realised that they couldn't simply release it as the new version of the Scirocco with a significantly higher price than the outgoing model. So they ended up having to market it as a new model, and keep the MK2 Scirocco going a little bit longer.

The Corrado was always intended to be the MK3 Scirocco however. It was just that development costs (and therefore the retail price for the car) spiralled beyond what was originally projected, and they quickly realised that they couldn't simply release it as the new version of the Scirocco with a significantly higher price than the outgoing model. So they ended up having to market it as a new model, and keep the MK2 Scirocco going a little bit longer.

Didn't know this - really interesting and not completely surprising

That's quite interesting.

Never really been a fan of the scirocco, though I think they got it spot on with the corrado

This is the bible:

http://the-corrado.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=48717&d=1313740483

or

http://www.amazon.de/Das-gro%C3%9Fe-VW-Corrado-Buch-Heinz-Horrmann/dp/3958431429/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1441818490&sr=8-1&keywords=das+grosse+corrado+buch

It stops with the G60 and 16v models though - doesn't have a lot of info on the face lift cars or the VR6, but great on the early design and production stuff and has some brilliant archive photos.

Mk1 Rocco was designed by Giorgio Giugiaro, who Wilhelm Karmann knew quite well. It was based on the Asso di Picche prototype that Giugiaro had designed for Audi.

Giugiaro then in the mid 70s designed another prototype for BMW, the Asso di Quadri, which you can't help but think that it served as inspiration for VW's own in-house designers when they designed the Mk2 Rocco. VW was chosen as the preferred designer following a competition which was run by VW, into which Giugiaro did enter his design for a Mk2 Rocco, which was felt to be too similar to the design of the Mk1 Rocco.

When VW had finished their design of the Mk2 they handed it over to Giugiaro to "tidy" up the design, so you can imagine his mild surprise to see what similarity it had to his Asso di Quadri design.

Expecting a brandnew book on Karmann to arrive on my doorstep any time soon now, as recommended (and inspected by me whilst visiting him) by Wilhelm Schwebe himself.

Tempest

Yup, passengered in my C to the event campsite for him to sign all sorts of things like glove box lids etc. Poor man nearly developed writer's cramp!

Tempest

Know what you mean, I've always loved the shape of the Mk1, I had an Alfasud Sprint for a number of years, designed by Giorgetto Giugiaro, same person who designed the Mk1... I do think they have an uncanny resemblance to each other....lol.... Think someone got paid twice for the same design.

L-VW-Scirocco-1.jpg

Screen-Shot-2012-10-22-at-7.59.56-PM.png

Rog.

Rog, I do love the twin headlamps of the Mk1 Rocco and the Alfa Sprint. I only wish there was a decent,reliable, easy to fit twin headlamp conversion for the Corrado (the Nothelle conversion looks ace imo)