Jim

Replacing VR6 cams.. which cam trigger wheel?

I'm doing some work on my Corrado in a couple of weeks - hopefully fitting refurbished injectors and new tappets as one of my tappets is making a real din. As part of this work, I'm removing my Schimmel SP263's and going back to the OE cams. The OE cams I have don't have a cam trigger wheel on them and from reading up on other threads relating to cams, apparently it's not uncommon for them to break during removal so I want to get a spare just in case.

Looking on ETKA there's two different ones, depending on your year. Mine is a later model (1995/M) so I reckon I should have the later, cheaper (thankfully!) cam trigger wheel. Does that sound right? (part number 021 905 163).

Thanks.

Cool - that's the one I was expecting it to be - same part number as what I put above. Cheers :)

My cam sprockets bolts were probably the hardest thing I've ever had to undo on the car so wish you luck with that.

My cam sprockets bolts were probably the hardest thing I've ever had to undo on the car so wish you luck with that.

Hold the cams in a vice and use a breaker bar. I actually split a socket first time on it (Cheapo crappy one though)

Exactly what we did and it broke his snap on socket. Had to heat it up and that's what destroyed the trigger wheel

The idea of sourcing cam sprockets and this trigger wheel is that I won't need to seperate them off the old car and can just assemble my OE cams off the car and drop them straight in.

Primarily just really interested to see how it feels on the original cams. Despite having owned a VR now for... 4 or 5 years it's only ever had the SP263's fitted. I'm interested to see how it feels / drives / sounds on the stock cams!

That and ever since I've had it the valve train has always seemed a bit noisy to me. I've no idea if tappets, etc were replaced during my engine rebuild (as I never did actually get a full breakdown of what was done.. sigh..) and they're noisier than ever now and from reading other posts by a number of folks over the years with noisy tappets on VR's, SP263's have often cropped up in the cars suffering the problem so part of me wonders if they do accelerate wear in the top end a little. As I'm fitting new tappets I figured go back to original cams and see if the noises return after 12 months or not!