JSchollar

'94 2.0 16v - let the battle commence!

Good evening all,

I have been lurking here for a while but seeing as I have actually started work on the old girl I thought I would be worth putting starting a thread here.

About me:

James, 24 from Ipswich, currently working at Ipswich Volkswagen. I have always had a soft spot for the Corrado so as soon as the opportunity arose...

About the car:

It's a 1994 2.0 16v in Ice Grey Violey Pearl Effect, with a full (some dealer) service history and only 96k. I have a stack of paperwork with it showing it originated from Scotland and the previous owner had it for 11 years. Most of the usual bad points (sunroof and spoiler etc) are working perfectly, but I have my work cut out elsewhere...

Plans...!:

If I'm honest, the driving experience is somewhat... awful. It essentially needs a full front and rear suspension (bar the shocks) and brake rebuild. I'm going to do some subtle upgrades along the way, but the big stuff like anti roll bars can wait. I have a lot of parts ready to go, so I will document these things as they happen. Eventually a full re spray will be needed too, but overall there is minimal rust.

For now, it's had a clean and is up on axle stands ready for the off, watch this space! Pics below.

The day I collected:

F77A5C04-C20F-4B25-A4E4-DE59C8384686_zpscpizv1dj.jpg

After today's clean, note the new wheels!

8F555E1C-66E1-40BF-AA60-CF3A00A37319_zpsdobry550.jpg

A833B204-816C-47C2-9226-12F627103A91_zpsl6sebyw9.jpg

And up on the stands:

B5C58BDB-67DE-46B7-AED3-92B505C03603_zpsweq0r5yt.jpg

Edited by JSchollar

Thanks buddy! It'll look much nicer once I'm finished. I plan to, once the drivability stuff is done, to customise tastefully. It'll be a long slog but hopefully worth it!

Right, sad I know but it's actually taken a full year to get anything done! As previously said, it needed a full underside resto, that's what it got! See pics below.

Before:

1F2561F4-36AF-47CC-AB76-80569D21101A_zps2h1mwxpd.jpg

After!:

99E2EB98-1510-49E2-A58F-74F0CF618317_zpsx0mju9f5.jpg

We have new brakes, braided lines, load actuator, full suspension bushes all of which are standard stuff rather than poly. Engine mounts, gearbox mount...

FD06E0CD-6BD8-4413-B2A3-A3745B8E1CDF_zpslzhh7iry.jpg

72076A3C-7AB9-44EF-A982-50692E92B9B5_zpshgcik1yg.jpg

8E40784C-757B-4D4B-8E67-463313BAB1D6_zpsksnflvoz.jpg

Eibach anti roll bars of course.

AD65A735-96EF-4F9C-B80F-2839E5C97BFA_zpsfp77e0rw.jpg

6F87E67E-2A4D-4EA0-91A0-54240D4D245C_zpsimetmqie.jpg

Front and rear subframes blasted and epoxy painted, and a stainless decat exhaust to finish it all off.

275130A7-74AB-4AD8-B64C-05582B797041_zpso83xqc46.jpg

ACC8234D-A020-4DEA-A919-68AB4CDDDE0F_zpsfyk7ckqp.jpg

82C606CB-E203-4871-84DC-0F6846AE7759_zpsjeevu8ie.jpg

84E4D2C2-5FA7-4481-9C9D-F6053B655A30_zpsuxmdmmld.jpg

All that's needed now is a full service and 4 wheel alignment. Then I can finally drive the bloody thing!

I was only stood underneath this the other day with Jon. Looks great what you've done. If you ever need any parts let me know, my stash is just in town

Thanks gents, I'm chuffed with the work he's done, hopefully it'll last another 20 odd years!!

Thanks Odub, appreciate it. All I'll need eventually is a drivers door and possibly drivers wing. I am after a lupo/TT wiper conversion however

Nice work! Good to see someone putting the effort in to keep a valver on the road - they never get enough love!

Thanks Odub, I'll let you know!

Thank you Jim! She is a corrado nonetheless! I'll report back once I've done the service and 4 wheel alignment, it's been over a year since I last drove it.

How is the finish on the epoxy paint? Its hard to tell from your pictures, but I've been looking into what to do mine with. I've read a few good reviews of it so I've been looking here

http://www.rust.co.uk/buy-epoxy-mastic/p404984/

I'm not trying to hide rust so like you I'll get all parts blasted first, but I'd like a good thick coat to give the metal a nice smooth finish and cover any pitting. Is the epoxy paint thick enough to do this, or do you think I'd be better off getting it powder coated or using hammerite?

Anyone else got any thoughts too?

Cheers!

Sean,

I've used the epoxy paint in that link - the thing is you can mix it as thick as you like because you can also buy thinners with it for whatever job you're using it for. I did my subframe and left it neat, but would thin it down for smaller/more delicate jobs like brake shields. Mines not a daily driver but it's looking ok so far.

Tim.

Thanks mate, I did read it properly after I'd posted and it mentions what you say! Used without the thinners it'll go on to about 1/2 mm thick which should be plenty. Reading the reviews it's seriously hard wearing and is used for RNLI vehicles that bomb about on sand and low water, so I'm gonna go for it. I'd have to spend roughly the same for a dozen tins of hammerite anyway certainly worth it I reckon!

The blasting process took away petty much all of the pitting, it looks pretty much brand new as the epoxy is ultra smooth. It shouldn't chip either like powder coating can.

In all honestly I did it for the longevity, but as a side effect it looks pukker :D

As it can be sprayed on too it will have better coverage than hammerite, so you won't miss bits. I'm chuffed to bits with how it's come out.

Picking up service items soon so I can flush out 2 year old oil and fuel!