carrots

urrrrr cracked windscreen

Auto plus windscreens based in Sheffield are well worth contacting. They do insurance work and are well renowned on here. Highly reccomended.

Auto plus windscreens based in Sheffield are well worth contacting. They do insurance work and are well renowned on here. Highly reccomended.

Can't see um wanting to travel to wrexham,can't get on insurance site to see if I have cover

Insurance coompany done mine. The guy took 2 attemps over 2 days to get it fitted and managed to get sealant everywhere, not best pleased

Can't see um wanting to travel to wrexham,can't get on insurance site to see if I have cover

Frankly given some of the horror stories on bad windscreen fitment, I'd travel the 90 miles myself to get it done properly (Wrexham really isn't far from Sheffield).

Frankly given some of the horror stories on bad windscreen fitment, I'd travel the 90 miles myself to get it done properly (Wrexham really isn't far from Sheffield).

180 miles and over 4 hours round trip, you'd have to wait for the sealant to cure and what if there's rot to sort?

Better to be safe than sorry. It's one of the jobs I've been dreading on mine, I have some slight delamination in the corners and a fair few scratches, but have been putting it off for fear of the fitter messing it all up and breaking all the trim when doing the replacement.

Better to be safe than sorry. It's one of the jobs I've been dreading on mine, I have some slight delamination in the corners and a fair few scratches, but have been putting it off for fear of the fitter messing it all up and breaking all the trim when doing the replacement.

So are you going to travel from Dublin to Sheffield?

My advice is to contact a local bodyshop and ask who they use to remove and refit glass for them

Not to the UK, no. lol: unless I pop into Stealth for a bit of TLC on the way! I can get my windscreen replaced under insurance here, but you get stuck with whoever they send out. Personally I would drive the car to the fitting shop myself and ask to speak to the most senior/experienced fitter there and check if they have done a Corrado before. Then I'd watch the whole thing from start to finish - at least that's my plan for when it eventually gets done.

Quote easy actually, did all 4 Windows on 2 different corrados around 10 years ago, just got my dad to help me put the front screen in using crap, cheap window suckers..Getting the buggers out is the difficult bit.

Take your time, use Sikaflex windscreen bond, clean all around the perimeter and the screen and don't forget the rubber spacers and fit the seals on first.

Avoid getting the sealant on anything except the frame, utter bastid to remove.. Aim the screen properly and lower it into the frame.

Don't use too much sealant or it'll ooze out inside and look crap.

Fitters just seem to have problems with them. Getting them in the exact position so that the outer seals fit nice and snug seems to be an issue. Also the issue with rust on the bonding surface is a problem for corrados and your everyday fitter will just bond on top of it. My advice to anyone is to have it removed first either by yourself or a professional, make sure all is well before contacting insurance company or arranging an independent fitter. Then make sure they know exactly what they are doing before letting them loose.

180 miles and over 4 hours round trip, you'd have to wait for the sealant to cure and what if there's rot to sort?

I don't really consider that as a round trip to be a significant hardship - again, knowing the horror stories of windscreens which I've read on here time and time again, I'd travel across the country to get the job done right. People travel from all round the country to garages like Stealth Racing to get work done as they know it's done right.

And if there's rot then it's a similar amount of time for a train home I guess!

But I do take your point - you would hope you could get it done locally, to a good standard! :)

And if there's rot then it's a similar amount of time for a train home I guess!

But then you're in a position where you don't know a bodyshop to repair the rot and you're on a train and your car open to the elements.

It would be better to contact the fitters for them to come to you IMO, even if the price is inflated to account for their travelling time / expenses etc

Auto Windscreens (Leeds branch) did mine - I went through the insurance so cost me £90 excess. Chap that installed it (on his own!) did a cracking a job and knew exactly what the standard fitting problems were.