Guest petercabrio

Looking for a VR6

Guest petercabrio

Hello

I have owned vw's for 30 years now, I am looking for a VR6, there are a few on eBay and autotrader

Ideally I would like a Standard one with leather for around the 3k Mark

Any tips to look for, I looked at one yesterday and the seat runners weren't painted body colour, is the normal, also the vin number in the slam panel was in primer, again is this normal?

Is there someone on here I can PM with questions, I have done this in the past when buying my Karmann beetle convertible and my Karmann LT35 motor home and found this invaluable

Thanks in advance

Peter

Don't really know what you mean by the seat runners not being body coloured. Do you mean the bits in the bodyshell or the bottom of the seat?

Slam panel vin in primer is normal, mine is like that.

There's a nice looking storm grey vr6 on ebay at the moment, also a few other nice exmaples i've seen.

Just post up your questions here rather than PM'ing people - it means you get the wider knowledge of the whole forum rather than trying to pin one person down to answer them all :) That means they're also then in the 'public domain' for the benefit of everyone else.

Guest petercabrio

The runners in the floor pan the seat runs in, probably normal, just stood out against black carpet

Yes. Nice blue one on autotrader too

Hello

I have owned vw's for 30 years now, I am looking for a VR6, there are a few on eBay and autotrader

Any tips to look for, I looked at one yesterday and the seat runners weren't painted body colour, is the normal, also the vin number in the slam panel was in primer, again is this normal?

Is there someone on here I can PM with questions, I have done this in the past when buying my Karmann beetle convertible and my Karmann LT35 motor home and found this invaluable

Thanks in advance

Peter

having recently taken out the seats in my white valver & the gf's mystic blue storm [which is parting with us on Friday :( ] I can say they metal slot into which the seat is housed (ie the runner) is body colour on both

I have wondered whey the VIN's are in primer though

have a look at the buyers guide I the wiki on here if you haven't already as that may answer many of your questions

I don't think it's uncommon for metalwork in the interior such as the seat runners, to have been missed by the spray gun so I wouldn't be concerned about that :)

Same for the VIN number in the engine bay - I'm not sure if it's the case for EVERY car, but it's certainly not painted on mine either.

I don't think it's uncommon for metalwork in the interior such as the seat runners, to have been missed by the spray gun so I wouldn't be concerned about that :)

Same for the VIN number in the engine bay - I'm not sure if it's the case for EVERY car, but it's certainly not painted on mine either.

ahhh, actually inside of the metal runner channel is a bit sketchy in terms of paint but the outer of then is body colour

the VIN's on all 3 of our rado's (soon to be 2 boo hoo) are that way Jim

Guest petercabrio

ok, thanks for the answers on the paint, i will be more specific with other questions

thanks

Print this out and take it with you to any potential viewing.

http://wiki.the-corrado.net/the_corrado_buying_guide_checklist.html

By no means exhaustive, but invaluable and will give you an idea of common problems associated with the car.

Hope you find what you're looking for, but without sounding negative 3k isn't a huge budget, so there may be a couple of things that you'll have to compromise with. That said, there are still bargains around if you're willing to travel. Good luck!

3k will need time and money. Even with low mileage. You have to be realistic about what somebody wants to part with for the kind of money you are the talking about.

Guest petercabrio

There is one on autotrader for less than 3k and one on here for a bit more

I'm after a driver not a show quality car.

Only being honest matey. They are all old cars, I've got 2 I bought for around 3k a few years ago. The one I've spent the most most money on is more reliable and has a better driver feel. You have to be realistic and open minded as to what the previous owner hasn't done, as opposed to what they tell you it has had done

Guest petercabrio

Not afraid of basic mechanicals, discs, pads, shocks etc etc as long as the body's not hanging or the big oily bits knackered or wiring problems, then I'm ok with a few jobs to do

Get one with nice interior, Recaro if pos? no rust around window rubbers, no rust in boot. Check the windscreen very carefully, I didn't, very expensive it's a complicated lesson. Clean engine bay, runs ace with clean oil. Underseal looks untouched, no iffy jack ups or rust bubbles.

4k plus if better.

Trade off the above if you spot the above. It won't be perfect, but fixing everything else is relatively cheap and easy

Hello

Thanks in advance

Peter

Hi, any pics of your current fleet?

It may be worth mentioning your location in case members know of cars available in your area

Guest petercabrio

Location Is north rast

I haven't figured uploading pics from my phone yet

Gumtree, £2500 for a late vr6 with leather and air con. In Cambridgeshire. Could be worth a look

Guest petercabrio

Viewed one last week, was very nice but tooo much money, going to view another today that looks good and price is ok, taking my buyers guide and hpi check sheet

Guest petercabrio

It's a nice one, I ended up going for a lighter blue body and back leather. That midnight blue is awesome, is it black, is it blue? The car is on eBay.

I will post pictures of my new purchase tomorrow