Guest petercabrio

Which tyres on vr6 ????

Guest petercabrio

I need to get a pair of tyres, any recomendations , i dont want too soft or too hard a compund

it curreently has Toyo 205 50 R15 Proxes T1R

they dont seem a bad price and have good water disperal tread

thanks

peter

I put a set of 4 Toyo's on my valver and the fronts only lasted 3000 miles whilst the rears are still going strong. Toyo's have good cost/grip but not for me with that amount of wear.

Replaced the Toyo's with some Continentals which are OK but next time I'll try Uniroyal as I heard they're good in the wet.

personally I would always go with bridgestone

I am currently on just over 15000 miles on the RE002's I have on the front, they are about to need replacing

I get mine from event tyres online as they are priced extremely well & fit at your desired location. Currently at £71.10 all in if you buy 2

the bridgestones not only wear extremely well, they perform fantastically & throughout all of the wear cycle, are superb in the dry & virtually as good in the wet

any other tyre I have tried is just poor in comparison really

I have a strong dislike for Toyo Proxes - no doubt they're a good price, and work great in the dry... but their wet weather performance borders on dangerous.

My go to tyre for the Corrado is the Uniroyal Rainsport 3's. Great all rounder in all aspects and fairly priced.

personally I would always go with bridgestone

I am currently on just over 15000 miles on the RE002's I have on the front, they are about to need replacing

I get mine from event tyres online as they are priced extremely well & fit at your desired location. Currently at £71.10 all in if you buy 2

the bridgestones not only wear extremely well, they perform fantastically & throughout all of the wear cycle, are superb in the dry & virtually as good in the wet

any other tyre I have tried is just poor in comparison really

Agree strongly with this!

Re002 handle much better than soggy rain sports. I think they are dual compound so they get grippier as they wear.

Currently £55 delivered (not fitted)

From

http://www.tyres-pneus-online.co.uk/car-tyres-205-50-15.html

It's also worth going through topcasbback if you have it for an extra 3.15%.

Guest petercabrio

Thanks for the replies , the toyos are going then. Just Bridgestone or uniroyal

Agree. And I've rarely got more than 8000 miles out of a pair of tyres on the front of the car no matter what brand ...

Agree. And I've rarely got more than 8000 miles out of a pair of tyres on the front of the car no matter what brand ...

I too found tyres to not last very long until bridgestone decided to reintroduce the 15" tyre

they withdrew tyres in a 15", or at least some of them, for a number of months at the time I had recently purchased my VR

thus I used avons for a year or so - utter poop, crap in dry, awful in wet & only got about 5-6K miles out of a front set

I had always used bridgestones on my valver, the first time I owned it, & my nova SR - the SO2's & SO3's

thus I was over the moon when bridgestone reintroduced the RE002 in a 15"

the current set, as mentioned, has just tipped the 15K miles & the previous set around 13K

Rain sports are good alround tyres that excell in the wet on the Vr6

Bridgestones RE002 better in the dry with awesome wear on the 2.8 golf mk4

Goodyear F1 assymetrical. Excellent in the dry, predictable in the wet on the 3.2 Audi but are not lasting.

I always put Toyo proxes on and find them spot on but they are always on my Saturday cars which don't really get wet :-)

Another vote from me for Uniroyal, although I don't think the Rainsport 3 is quite as grippy in the dry as the previous Rainsport 2. I hasten to add that I don't generally corner harshly, but for example when getting away from traffic lights they seem to come unstuck more easily.Generally though a very good compromise between long life, good grip and a fair price.

Best wishes

RB

I put RE002's on last time, but whilst performance was pretty good, they were rock hard and really affected the comfort - and I run standard springs. They were 87W loading, but I noticed the tyres I'd had before were 83, so maybe that was the issue?

Evenin' All,

Many Thanks to the OP & subsequent thread contributors here, as I'm going through the same considerations as regards what I put on a set of 17" RX228's on my VR6 in the New Year, in either a 205 or a 215 / 40 / R17 profile : it's interesting that the narrowing-down of opinion [on this thread] is pointing towards a considered, focal recommendation of :

• tried&tested&proven Bridgestone RE002's... and Thank You, as ever, Goldfinger... very helpful viz mileage etc

vs

• Rainsport 2's [or 3's, albeit I'm already dissuaded from the 3's] ...

I've had very positive experience of Rainsport 2's [205/50/R15] on mi Mk3 8v Daily, which [for the most part] I drive in the style of a James May 'Captain Slow' manner, so as to maximise the day-to-day MPG, and I've managed 40k miles out of a set [including swapping fronts-to-back]

That said, three things stick in my mind :

1] the VR gets driven more aggressively, and will also go onto coilovers at the same 17" RX228 wheel & tyre-fitting time in January

2] whilst I've always felt very assured in the wet with the Rainsport 2's on my Mk3 [and psychologically I like the tread's 'V' pattern, as it "
just looks logical...
" for maximum displacement], I've always had a 'nagging feeling' that the V-rated sidewalls seem a bit soft / 'baloon-ey', and that slightly puts me off going with them again on a VR6.... albeit the 17" 215 / 40 / R17 option does come in the
XL-rated spec

3] what I'm wanting for my VR6 is a
'square'
40-profile sidewall, which is why I'm fancying a move to the Bridgestone RE002's with its XL spec [or possibly considering Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2's ??]...

... with the RX228 being a 7.5J width I'm fancying that a
width with a firm, XL sidewall [ie, the Bridgestone RE002's XL characteristic, or perhaps the Rainsport 2 in an
XL spec
] would achieve that 'square sidewall' aspiration
[i don't like the 'stretch' effect [u]
at al
[/u]
l, which is what persuades me towards a
215 width
]

So, for what I'm trying to achieve, what would be the considered recommendation between :

• Bridgestone RE002 XL

• Rainsport 2 XL **

• Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 XL

I guess if the Rainsport
XL spec would
solve my "
a bit soft / 'baloon-ey'
" sidewall reticence in the shallower
40 profile
then maybe that's psychologically the one for me viz both tread pattern/assurance in the wet & the longevity experience [but I've read in one qualified Review that even the Rainsport's
XL
credential is still a bit soft on the sidewall ] ...

... the VR won't be getting 'ragged around', but it does get driven in a much more spirited fashion than mi Mk3 !

ie, even if I get 60% less life on a more spirited VR driving style then I'd still be very happy with a 15,000-a-set outcome

And am I down the right lines with fancying a 215 width over a 205 width on a 7.5J rim ?

Many Thanks for any opinions & assistance, and I hope this can be of help to the OP too in his deliberations ?

I allways go for the best mpg rating.

Often, a tyre with a good rating on the fuel side are a good tyre in general.

My latest was Goodyear Efficent Grip.

Silent and good for the milage!

I feel well qualified to answer this as mine absolutely eats tyres on front, 4000 miles longest lasting so far, though there are a lot of c9orners round here and I do go round them with enthusiasm you might say, I've had Yoko's, Toyo's, Continentals, Pirelli's, Dunlop Sport Max, Falkens, Bridgeestones, and think I've forgot ohne, and that's in about 3 or 4 years. Yoko's are excellent and for money best option, do wear out quickly, Toyo's not far behind, very stiff, have 1 advantage in that got puncture once and it didn't even deform, like runflats, drove couple of miles home quite easily, wear out even quicker, Falkens are abysmal literally took them off and threw them away, Dunlop Sport Max. prob. best, shade the Yoko's just but fair bit more, last a little longer, Conti's, Bridgestones, bout same, good but not as good as Dunlop's, Pirelli's maybe a notch below them

I feel well qualified to answer this as mine absolutely eats tyres on front, 4000 miles longest lasting so far, though there are a lot of c9orners round here and I do go round them with enthusiasm you might say, I've had Yoko's, Toyo's, Continentals, Pirelli's, Dunlop Sport Max, Falkens, Bridgeestones, and think I've forgot ohne, and that's in about 3 or 4 years. Yoko's are excellent and for money best option, do wear out quickly, Toyo's not far behind, very stiff, have 1 advantage in that got puncture once and it didn't even deform, like runflats, drove couple of miles home quite easily, wear out even quicker, Falkens are abysmal literally took them off and threw them away, Dunlop Sport Max. prob. best, shade the Yoko's just but fair bit more, last a little longer, Conti's, Bridgestones, bout same, good but not as good as Dunlop's, Pirelli's maybe a notch below them

4000 miles - that is a short life span! even a crappy avon lasted longer but the performance was awful

ive just changed my RE002's for a new set & they did over 15000

4000 miles - that is a short life span! even a crappy avon lasted longer but the performance was awful

ive just changed my RE002's for a new set & they did over 15000

Clearly your not trying hard enough, lol. It does have bigger uprated brakes, very stiff Koni's, uprated engine (though not massively not turbo'd or anything) and mine are 205/40/17's not 15's, don't know how much diff. all that makes, but coming in or out of Shields there's a dual carriageway with small roundabouts every few hundred yards which you can fly over at a 100 if you put your mind to it and it's quiet, and it's mainly that, you think of your 2 or 3 mile journey home, on a straightish road, and think of putting 15 high speed "racing chicanes" on it you fancy doing flat, do that on a regular basis and your tyres are'nt lasting too long.

So for my 4000 I'm sure ya can double that or more in most cases. Rear one's last longer.

ha ha ha though i don't drive at full beans all the time any longer i certainly have my fair share

im on KW V1's with a breathed on NA VR too, just shy of 210 horses

ive worked at the same place quite a while now & my 14 mile each way journey consists of pretty much all fairly quiet traffic twisty country lanes. a lovely drive it is in the summer too

plus i have the cloverleaf in my back yard http://s37.photobucket.com/user/NastyEvilNinja/media/Cloverleaf.jpg.html which is all 70mph dual carriageway, even the loops & S bends

a notorious biker magnet it is & i can say i have turned the heads of many a surprised biker standing on the bridge watching as i exit one of the loops :D

great fun & worth a visit if you are in the local vicinity on a dry day. the uphill S's are a corker for enter corner fast, brake hard, get your line right & hammer it in 3rd gear lol

i guess my more pottering driving nature lately is rewarding me in miles per tyre

Interesting looking junction, few too many miles from me, Redditch is it? Bought a Broadspeed Capri from Worcester few years back, nice part of country, and lovely car, I'd thought stayed in a hotel in Bromsgrove, but remember having night out in Worcester and strolling back to it and looking on map this doesn't sound feasible, maybe Bromsgrove was another one, did have loads of Capri's and all came from the south. That would have been a nice drive back in the Broadspeed had I not been following my wifes little Seat all the way.

Camber makes a diff. when think bout it, was running bout 3.5 degrees on front at one point, handled like a go-kart, unbelievable turn in but eats the front tyres, more for tight sharp corners. Running bout 2 now from memory, might be 1.75 but a decent compromise, and tyres prob. last longer

Interesting looking junction, few too many miles from me, Redditch is it? Bought a Broadspeed Capri from Worcester few years back, nice part of country, and lovely car, I'd thought stayed in a hotel in Bromsgrove, but remember having night out in Worcester and strolling back to it and looking on map this doesn't sound feasible, maybe Bromsgrove was another one, did have loads of Capri's and all came from the south. That would have been a nice drive back in the Broadspeed had I not been following my wifes little Seat all the way.

Camber makes a diff. when think bout it, was running bout 3.5 degrees on front at one point, handled like a go-kart, unbelievable turn in but eats the front tyres, more for tight sharp corners. Running bout 2 now from memory, might be 1.75 but a decent compromise, and tyres prob. last longer

morning jekel

interesting it is m8! & yes that's the location. there is a nice selection of sweeping S bends, both up & downhill, & then the 270 degree loops, again both up & downhill, & all of them dual carriageway.

bikers come from miles away for the loops as they like getting their knee down. it is awesome for a play around on as there are lots of variations of combo's you can do

Worcester is a very long walk from Bromsgrove, it takes a good 20 odd mins to drive it if there is no traffic, but that cloverleaf is in the middle of the highway which goes from Redditch to Bromsgrove so you have been only a few miles away from it on previous occasions

lol yup that high level of camber would eat tyres!

When I think about it I'm not even sure I've had Bridgestones, I'm sure I had Continentals twice, I always confuse those two, so apologies I appear to be talking bollocks there, well bout Bridgestones at least, in fact think I'll try them next, they sound pretty good, lol

When I think about it I'm not even sure I've had Bridgestones, I'm sure I had Continentals twice, I always confuse those two, so apologies I appear to be talking bollocks there, well bout Bridgestones at least, in fact think I'll try them next, they sound pretty good, lol

ha ha ha brilliant post Jekel!!

give them a go - I am pretty sure you will be impressed

I put RE002's on last time, but whilst performance was pretty good, they were rock hard and really affected the comfort - and I run standard springs. They were 87W loading, but I noticed the tyres I'd had before were 83, so maybe that was the issue?

Could be that but Bridgestone like to use stiff side walls. Great for cornering but not so good for ride comfort!