JimmyC92

Windscreen won't demist

Just been out for a drive and the windscreen would not demist no matter what I did, I ended up having the missus wipe it with a microfibre every two minutes! Has anyone had the same issue and fixed it?

Yep, the dreaded heater matrix.

Relatively easy job if you're prepared to get stuck in, and the matrix itself is affordable.

Thank you both for your replies, the blowers only work on 4, nothing else, so when it's next dry ish and I have time I will try and repair those, does anyone have any idea on pricing etc? It still blows hot and cold in the right areas on the dial?

Likely heater matrix leaking :(

Is your coolant level dropping, carpet wet ?

I've just topped it up so I'll wait and see if it drops. Amy idea how I can confirm it?

You'll find that it'll start to mist up all the time, no matter what speed fan etc. Passenger footwell may start to feel damp if the leak is bad enough. If you remove the undertray below the glove box you may be able to feel a bit of moisture on the bottom of the air direction box.

I caught mine early, before my carpets got wet etc and so glad I did otherwise it can ruin the carpets and underlay.

Edited by mic_VR

Heater only working on 4 is also a sign of a failed blower resistor. If you have a search in the wiki I think there is a guide on replacing it, and its pretty cheap too.

Some people just use gaffer tape, quite a few have used heat resistant table protector. I have just used some off cuts vinyl flooring to repair mine.

Got the heater matrix and those foam bits replaced today as well as a cv boot which had split, she's like a different car! Very very happy - thank you to everyone who pointed me in the right direction. The blowers only work on 4, which is apparently due to something which I can get to under the shelf under the glove box...some sort of heater motor?

Had to do the heater motor fix on my golf I had years ago and my corrado, inside the heater motor behind where the wires plug into it the metal bit unclips & inside this there is a thermal fuse which is soldered to the back of the metal bit (shinny metal round with a wire out of each ends of it), you can buy these from somewhere like Maplins for less than a quid.