SR_Neale

Best engine for towing

Afternoon all. Looking for some advise on what engine to go for in the wife's mk1 cab? I'm looking for an all rounder. It has to be strong enough to tow a caravan but also fun to drive when not towing. I've got a 1.8 8v in the garage which was in the car. Or is it more down to the gear ratios. Any ideas?

The one that immediately springs to mind and probably the only likely lump to comfortably fit is the 1.8 20vT. Go for the 225bhp out of the S3/TT/LCR and you'll be well. I'd be more concerned about weight though, not sure it'd be adviseable or even legal to tow a caravan with a mk1, especially a cab.

From what I can work out the un braked tow weight for a gti is 1200kg don't know what it is for a cab but think it's the same. So anything under 1000kg would be well within legal limits. Not sure a turbo'd engine would be the way to go. Looking more at naturally aspirated possibly vr6.

I'm sure its been done, but I'd guess its a huge amount of hassle getting a vr6 into such a small bay. Its the torque you'll need to pull a caravan, so turbo would be perfectly fine. Turbo diesel would be better though............

If it was just towing I probably would go for the diesel. The vr6 into mk1/2 has been done loads of times so no probs there. Only prob with turbo is they don't generally kick in till about 2-3k which is fine when moving but not so great getting moving from a stop.

VR6 into a mk2 has been done to death I agree, but I'm pretty sure its far less common in a mk1. I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure you'd be seriously restricted for space in there.

Where's the fun in straight forward? There are even companies that do engine mount conversion brackets and shortened drive shafts etc for the mk1. The bay as far as I know is the same size as mk2.

Step 1: get a heavier car.

No matter how much torque you have in the engine you can't tow much more weight unless you weigh the mk1 down a whole lot to stop it tipping over or just spinning its wheels.

Well that's ****ed on my Bon fire. What sort of towing weight could I get away with as buying another car is not an option and the point of it was to have a nice car to drive around in while on holiday.

Towing a caravan with a Mk1 cab? hmmm... I wanted to put the 2.7Bi-turbo from my old S4 into my T25. The chap I had in mind to do it wouldn't entertain it - said you can't go around fitting engines like that into old cars or vans without a full strip and ensuring it's not got hidden structural issues, and that's before you take into account every single drivetrain item that would need to be renewed. Plus that fact that it would probably be undrivable...si I never did it.

Not quite the same as your predicament, but towing a caravan with a floppy old Mk1 cab? It may somehow be legal, but is it actually safe? If you shunted into the back of someone, where would the caravan towhook end up? It you had to swerve, would it just ping off the road? Don't mean to be a misery, but your safety has to come first.

It is currently going through bare metal re build so the car will be 100% or I wouldn't even entertain the thought. Obviously the brakes will be getting upgraded along with better suspension etc. as for swerving that could be said of any car really.

It is currently going through bare metal re build so the car will be 100% or I wouldn't even entertain the thought. Obviously the brakes will be getting upgraded along with better suspension etc. as for swerving that could be said of any car really.

I know, I'm probably just being a bit of a misery guts. Make sure you get the right gearbox - it'll make all the difference and hopefully help your clutch last a bit longer.

Don't know what type of van you have but from what I can see the absolute lightest in the UK is still nearly one metric ton. That's actually heavier than a typical mk1 golf... :)

Not sure if the cabrio is heavier or lighter than the standard car. They are often a little heavier..

Starting to wonder if it's such a great idea as I will have the kids in the car so defo don't want to put them at risk. Might still do the vr6 swap all the same.

I would suggest the ultra-mobile home alternative: "hotels" .. Much safer, and warmer too. :)

A VR6 mk1 cab would likely scare the willies out of you with or without a caravan on the back..

If it were up to me it would be hotels all the way but the wife and kids love camping. So as they say happy wife happy life. As for doing the vr6 it's an itch I've got to scratch and probably used the towing as a way of convincing the wife.

vr6 would not be top of my list for a mk1,only driven 1 a friend had ok in a straight line but no faster than my old abf mk1 which would kill it on a twisty road, think 4 cyl suits the light mk1 better.

Jamie you talked to the wrong bloke about a 2.7 bi turbo into a t3 mine is the only 1 I know of in this country remapped s4 340hp

If it were up to me it would be hotels all the way but the wife and kids love camping. So as they say happy wife happy life. As for doing the vr6 it's an itch I've got to scratch and probably used the towing as a way of convincing the wife.

Tent! - much lighter than caravan! and doesn't need towing! - Although I would still rather the hotel lol!

If a tow bar is available for a MK1 cab, then there are no issues in it's structural strength. It's down to tow hook and car makers to determine that. So long as you're not trying to tow an 8 birth caravan with 3 en suite bathrooms, you'll be fine!

Yep, the MK1 cab is a fair bit heavier than the tin top. Yes it scuttle shakes for fun, but plenty of structural bracing added by Karmann where it was needed. I've seen Nissan Micras towing caravans, I don't see what the biggie is here!

Engine choices:

VR6 - OBD2 2.8 from a Highline. Improves front end weight for traction and is way torquier than the Corrado's engine. It does fit into a MK1 but nowhere near as easily as.......

......1.8T - Choose the K03 flavour. Maps to 200hp with 240ish torque and kicks in low enough for towing, hence why you see so many Passats with tow bars ;)

Edited by Kevin Bacon

Tent! - much lighter than caravan! and doesn't need towing! - Although I would still rather the hotel lol!

Got tents 2 in fact. Small one for shows and big one for the family holiday. So either way will have to tow something as the big tent won't fit in the rado let alone a mk1 cab. The idea of the van is that the inlaws are buying one that we can borrow anytime and I could borrow the car to go with it but then I'll have all the great roads of Cornwall to drive round but in a boring diesel.

The 1.8t may be an option as I've looked at vr6's as donner cars and they either look to good to pull apart or to far gone engine wise but there are plenty of turbos kicking about. Would another option be to turbo/charge the current engine 1.8 8v?

don't think turboing the 8v would be very cost effective the 20v can be had for so little my mates was free after he sold off the rest of the a3.

you could go g60 or super charge a 20 8v,im fancying a merc blower on an abf 16v for my corrado.but again a lot more than 20vt.

as kevin said k03 is the least laggy, the s4 motor in my van runs a pair of k03 and that has no lag I can idle that in 6 gear and just pull away.