Roger Chatfield

Headliner material

Hi Rog,

When I did mine I sort of cheated...

I took the headliner out, gave it a good clean with snow foam then when it had dried out I sprayed it with some fabric spray that I got from Amazon.

Took a few coats to get it an even shade of Black but now its on the car you cant tell (did the interior sunroof surround whilst I was at it)

just another option to think about...

Mine is sagging in a few places so I've managed to source an old complete head liner, I'm going to strip and recover that but I want the get the colour as OE as possible.

Rog.

Have a talk to someone in a fabric shop Rog , there must be one in Plymouth. If you take a sample of the old one , they will hopefully be able to match it .

Got mine from here:

http://www.as-trim.co.uk/

Used the black foam backed stuff and went on a treat, had never attempted to trim something before but it all went pretty much perfect on the first go.

http://www.as-trim.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=5_200_201&products_id=387

I actually have loads of the material left, enough to do another 2 headlinings.

Jim, did you recover the sunroof trim with this as well? I looked into it in the past, and the 3mm foam backing put me off a bit as I thought it may snag when retracting or going forward due to the thickness of it.

Nah, i didn't want to remove it and thought the same, that it might catch and pull the lining off, so i used a black dye and brushed it on. Didn't come out great as i didn't clean it well enough. Think i even brushed on some black leather paint as it came out a little greyer than the new lining.

Looks ok though with a difference in colour.

20150815_143927.jpg

20150913_123338.jpg

20151004_151608.jpg

Changed the visors for audi ones.

20150917_205536.jpg

Just realised you can't really see the sunroof in my pics.

Got mine from here:

http://www.as-trim.co.uk/

Used the black foam backed stuff and went on a treat, had never attempted to trim something before but it all went pretty much perfect on the first go.

http://www.as-trim.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=5_200_201&products_id=387

I actually have loads of the material left, enough to do another 2 headlinings.

Nice. That's ex Audioscape btw, in case you didn't know. They of the Corrado door pod fame :)

Great link there Jim, a lot more cost effective than buying new, which is out of stock at vwheritage now anyways..

I take it lifting the old fabric, spraying the adhesive and laying back down isn't an option? Has anyone had a go at this? Suppose the foam won't be in the best of states underneath perhaps..

How did it go removing the old fabric / foam? Did you use any special tools/liquids?

Also how did you go about trimming? Trace the shape on the fabric / measure and mark up or glue down in one piece and trim from the other side?

Can anyone comment on colour match of the light grey colour?

I've done this job earlier this year. Fabric came from AS Trims and I chose light grey which was a perfect match to the oem sunroof material.

Once removed from the car I manually scraped the glue residue off.

Then cut the new fabric to shape, glued it starting from the back end of the liner to the front. Once all glued I then cut out the sunroof and around the sun visor mounts. I used a glue gun the glue back the sides.

Once all of that was done I turned it over and left it rest overnight and installed in the car the next day.

Originally I thought it would be a difficult job but actually it was really easy, including the removal and refitting.