Bfstrachan

Dash removal...

Biting the bullet and doing my heater matrix! Got a bunch done this morning, but hit a snag. The lower of the two bolts that's in the engin bay beside the heat shield. The nut has rusted on the bolt and both are turning when the socket is on it! What's the options for getting it out?

Keep turning the lot. It will come loose when it's out of your heater box. Then when your heater box is out of the way you will see the stud in the fire wall and be able to hold it with an 18mm spanner (I think) from the inside while you get a mate to undo the 10mm nut in the engine bay. Once free, clean it up and screw it back into the heater box ready for replacing. I used a bit of thread lock too.

Thanks! Wasn't sure what sort of connection it had on the heater side and if I would be doing damage when turning the bolt.

Can you advise if there are more than those 2 bolts - engine side - in order to get the dash out?

Thanks!

Did you get the sneaky two from below the windscreen area. ..10mm spanner and in line with the joints on the lower plastic trim

There are 2 nuts that need undoing with a 10mm spanner or socket. Difficult to gain access but it is do-able. A ratchet ring spanner is really useful.

With the bonnet lifted, look at the windscreen lower plastic trim.it is in 3 pieces. Where it joins each piece (about 1/3 way) get your hand under that scuttle area feeling upwards. You will find one nut fixing on each side. Good luck.

And there's still more inside the vehicle

Ha ha. One on each end of the dashboard. Should be behind a circular cover trim. There is also a nut low down at the back of the centre console at floor level.

As well as removing all of your switches, wiring clips, speedo, surrounds and trim.

It does come out relatively easy. Sounds worse than it is. ..But there are some good right ups with pictures about.

Thanks again! Got most of the inside trim done this morning. Knowing this forum is so active was the only reason I began to tackle the job...

It will all be out, repaired and back in tomorrow. Unfortunately I've learnt there always another bloody problem.

Sorry. I'm still learning about the highs and lows of corrado ownership. I took my door off yesterday and found lots of problems (low)but got my front bumper back from the painters today and on its powder coated mountings its put a smile on my face (high point).

If you get the time refurb your heater box flaps whilst you've got it out, as they will be perished. Won't take long and you won't need to take the dash out again. Plus it's stops you getting those little black pieces of foam blown out into your face. Just a thought, but highly recommended by others too

I found that the bolts in the scutle are easier to get to if the wiper motor and assembly are removed cos it gives more room to get your hand in. Goldfinger has got a good guide for dash removal with pics that show where all the screws go.

Thanks for the silver lining...

hi m8

as SR_Neale mentioned, drop me a PM with your email addy if you want a guide with lots of pics. it shows the majority of the screws etc & locations

having done one in my valver last year I would definitely agree with cressa recommendation & refurb the heater box flap linings. I didn't do mine & though I get nice hot air out of the windscreen vents it is quite a bit cooler when exiting the side vents

hi m8

as SR_Neale mentioned, drop me a PM with your email addy if you want a guide with lots of pics. it shows the majority of the screws etc & locations

having done one in my valver last year I would definitely agree with cressa recommendation & refurb the heater box flap linings. I didn't do mine & though I get nice hot air out of the windscreen vents it is quite a bit cooler when exiting the side vents

Thanks for all the help. I eventually came across you how to with the photos and got it all printed out - so ready to do battle again later tonight. Where can you get the foam gaskets? Noticed the one behind the centre console has disintegrated and there is about 40% missing! Is there a kit with all the gaskets, so I can replace all?

Thanks again!

Your best bet would be sticky back felt which can be bought from any hobby shop. It will do the same as the foam which is to create a seal but allow for movement without causing rattle noise.

[ATTACH]83067[/ATTACH] I sourced replacements from a 95 plate polo. Is better material fits perfect and does not disintegrate. The polo centre vent foam Fits a corrado outer vents and all the box flaps were the same. I've yet to find an oe part for the corrado centre vent. Going to look at a mk3 golf one.