Bfstrachan

Dash removal...

Only thing that threw me a little was the details listed the part as "with A/C" Guessing that is not an issue as I don't have it?

hmmm I didn't notice that - Im not sure

that part number is definitely the one I used though as I copied it off the order confirmation email from the one I brought & used

No worries - it's ordered and will be glad to get it in and start getting the dash back together - thanks for helping!

pleasure m8

Ok, so got the heater box and all ducting re-fitted. Got the heater matrix hooked up - that was a bit awkward getting the coolant hoses connected! Question, do I fit the dash and route the wires or do you have to position the wires before setting the dash in, or do you fit the dash partially and then route the wiring before fixing the dash?

Many thanks! 7cac7d28b6a20c448f76bc931a8fb1a9.jpg

I found it was a bit of both. As the dashboard goes into position the wires want lifting up and around the glovebox and centre console area. Good luck

I'd run the wires as much as possible, especially the ones from fusebox that go over to passenger side, also quite a lot of the wiring runs over the top of the heater box so would position that before fitting the dash.

I thought about mine before refitting and still ending up having to take dash off about 3 times :lol:

Wow, I can't believe how stupid I have been!! For 1/2 an hour I wrestled with the dash and I was trying to get the steering rack through the speedo binnacle hole!!! It then dawned on me that the dash fits over it - what a numpty!

I did chuckle a bit , but we've all done stupid things on our cars , in our time . Last week I was in a rush and ended up refitting my rear wheels in the dark and the wrong way round . It was pointed out to me at a little meet we were having . I felt a right plum !.

I took a car for MOT with the wheels on the wrong side, don't worry Rob! I console myself that its because I rarely buy directional tyres! :iamwithstupid:

I've also done this with the dash.......... Managed to figure it out after a few minutes though but it was a bit of a facepalm moment! :lol:

Thanks for the consolation stories - glad I'm not alone! I think I just overdosed on doing too many jobs at the same time. You all know the score, as long as the access is there I might as well replace...

Thanks for the consolation stories - glad I'm not alone! I think I just overdosed on doing too many jobs at the same time. You all know the score, as long as the access is there I might as well replace...

ha ha ha brilliant & yes we have all done similar

nice to see you are getting on well though :)

Should be ready to fill with coolant tonight. I have renewed all the heater matrix, all coolant pipes, thermostat and housing, water pump and the radiator. What is the best way to proceed with filling the system?

I just fill mine slowly through the header tank, run engine with cap off (also told to turn heaters on, but i can't see how that changes anything), then put cap on when the coolant level starts rising up. Then check it after each of a few journeys.

I just fill mine slowly through the header tank, run engine with cap off (also told to turn heaters on, but i can't see how that changes anything), then put cap on when the coolant level starts rising up. Then check it after each of a few journeys.

Lovely, that sounds like a simple job! Was dreading it being a lot more complex. In light of my patience running thin and my brain frazzled putting all back together, I'm just glad it's that straight forward :)5631b19f1599ad33d46bfa99c780e630.jpg

What coolant should I use? Went to VW dealer and they gave me G13, is that the right stuff? Also the steering fluid - I fitted a new pump and the fluid that came out was punk/red, but the dealer gave me green stuff - again is this ok to use?

Thanks!

The g13 is correct. As for the power steering fluid I'm sure I've read on here about having to use the same coloured fluid so as not to have problems. Try having a search on the threads but there is definitely something about it. Good luck

Apparently chassis number dependant for which oil, so advised to check with vw for confirmation