Bfstrachan

Dash removal...

I bought loads as while doing that job I'm lining stuff with felt to stop rattles. If you are doing the flaps only then 1 or 2 a4 sheets from hobbycraft will do you fine.

One quick question - everything is disconnected and ready for the dash to come out, the clocks... Can't get them out enough to see how to remove the speedo cable. Got the electrical one out, but not the speedo one. Any pointers as will be working blind behind the clocks?

Its vacuum operated so connected by a rubber connector, so should just pull out with a small amount of force mate.

One quick question - everything is disconnected and ready for the dash to come out, the clocks... Can't get them out enough to see how to remove the speedo cable. Got the electrical one out, but not the speedo one. Any pointers as will be working blind behind the clocks?

I too struggled with this. you cant quite get your hand in if I recall correctly

I think I ended up removing the brackets that hold the clocks in place.

let me go check my build thread.....checked...

I have a feeling I unscrewed the 2 brackets the clocks attach to & then slid the dash out with the clocks still attached to the speedo cable

I cant quite tell from my own pictures but it makes sense why the clocks are there resting but no dash is present lol

http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?44751-g0ldf1ng3r-s-VR-amp-1-8-16V-headlight-woe-s/page18&highlight=g0ldf1ng3r

Edited by g0ldf1ng3r

Thanks for the quick help. Sean - I felt the vacuum hose, but there's another cable connected to the speedo - that's the one I'm struggling with.

Turn it slightly so the right hand side comes toward you then move over as far to the left as pos will give you a little more room. Not much but enough to see the tube.

I too struggled with this. you cant quite get your hand in if I recall correctly

I think I ended up removing the brackets that hold the clocks in place.

let me go check my build thread.....checked...

I have a feeling I unscrewed the 2 brackets the clocks attach to & then slid the dash out with the clocks still attached to the speedo cable

I cant quite tell from my own pictures but it makes sense why the clocks are there resting but no dash is present lol

http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?44751-g0ldf1ng3r-s-VR-amp-1-8-16V-headlight-woe-s/page18&highlight=g0ldf1ng3r

Thanks, so just take out the brackets and leave the clocks attached? Then the dash should clear them...

Thanks, so just take out the brackets and leave the clocks attached? Then the dash should clear them...

yes I think that is what I did. takes a bit of a wiggle but once the brackets holding the clocks in have been removed it gives room for the clocks to twist & there is a tiny amount of slack in the speedo cable to allow the movement

Just need to get a write up about how to refurb the foam bits. Literally, there is nothing left anywhere and the venting was full of the disintegrated bits.

Vaghag has just done his on here. My polo way is only good if you can get hold of that part. But I liked it

ef3fafbb0a6833aa2ddd8a5877a58d23.jpg

So, a little freaked out, but it's out!

morning.

good work

& yes I recall feeling that exact way when in a similar position lol

softly softly catchy monkey & you will be fine m8

here is a linky to a heater box felt refub fella, it is from a golf but the principle is the same http://www.clubgti.com/showthread.php?261279-Heater-blowing-cold-not-hot-matrix-cleanse-and-air-flaps-foam-refurb-guide

Thanks for the link! Just had a quick look and looks spot on. Do you cut the foam a little bit bigger than the flaps or to size?

no danger

I have lots of links to various guides etc & document them when I can

unfortunately I didn't do the felt refurb when I did my valver matrix so not sure :(

I would guess at a tiny bit over size so as it creates a good seal - maybe lol

it is a job for this spring I think

Is the adhesive strong enough or do you have to use something in addition to ensure strong contact?

Its fine as is mate.