culshaw

Culshaw's VR6

i have 323 discs, time will tell. A job i'm saving for winter when i've had a summer out of it.

Thx for the tip on the tyres 205/40 is the plan

So when I bought the car I had a broken broken bonnet cable, broken in 3 ****ing places. Broken at the handle (the S had snapped). Broken on the spring clip (hence the search and group buy). Broken on the nylon trumpet.

On lunch today I stripped out the old bonnet cable and retain one of the original sheathings (the other had gone walkies too). Threaded it through the bulkhead and put it all back together with the metal trumpets from VW heritage. (top tip, if you have the first sheathing that sits along the rim you can use the metal trumpets from heritage without a screw)

Had a nervous moment putting the bonnet retaining spring back in place and wrapped the puller in string to make sure it worked, and POP! Pops like a dream. Super productive couple of days.

Then to the sour point.

BILCOR informed me to my delight that my calipers might not sit in the wheel correctly and might need spacers. Turns out they do. Here we are for a look.

y160B7d.jpg?1

Sorry chap, there's not a huge amount of room behind RC's and better knowing before you try and fit it all, worse still if you were paying someone to do it.

Edited by BILLCOR

Sorry chap, there's not a huge amount of room behind RC's and better knowing before you try and fit it all, worse still if you were paying someone to do it.

No problem! Thanks for the advice, I wasn't planning on running spacers, but I will do now. Hoping to only have run 10mm but also that's a bit optimistic! :)

• Like 1

In the end I got rid of the RC's for a set of OZ rims 17x8's those just cleared without the spacers

In the end I got rid of the RC's for a set of OZ rims 17x8's those just cleared without the spacers

I'm going to stick with the RC's and run spacers. I made some scientific measurements and they clear a monty python dvd case with 60 pages of a maxi cosi isobase instruction manual clearance between caliper and wheel

Also picked up some new centre caps

dd7dfc37f2cbe64ec1130836945c55c8.jpg

Addressinng my original list of problems, the leak is fixed.

the temp sensor is back in the bumper.

The bonnet cable is fixed

Gearknob is gone

Steering wheel is back to original

Replaced the headlight surround

Replaced the lock mechanism on the passenger door, next is to replace door handle.

I also need to takeoff the wings and find the side repeaters!

Test fitted one RC to see how much clearance I have... 16db4102a5a28cf4153f32c1884b71d2.jpg8349477067f4e22fd40e81f4e2e5006f.jpg

then got her washed

9aeb18ad5b6cb234471eddefbbe613f2.jpg

Remove the arch liners and you'll be able to reach up and push the side repeater out. Much easier than removing the wing! :thumbleft:

Had a look at why my wing mirrors aren't working, wiring looks ok but i found this which looks a little worrying and out of place. Does anyone have an idea what it is? Next step is voltmeter 701000b18e9c242a13fd06308e9f4b08.jpg

86aeb7896f6685bcc8d5ed047d338077.jpg

Only just read this post. Have you sorted it yet? I've got a door off at the moment so I can see all my wiring. Wondered if you could peel back and see the cable colours and I'll check against what I have

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Only just read this post. Have you sorted it yet? I've got a door off at the moment so I can see all my wiring. Wondered if you could peel back and see the cable colours and I'll check against what I have

Not yet, still not got any further with it, it's blue and brown from what i can see in the pics

I'll have a better look in the daylight tomorrow

[ATTACH]84364[/ATTACH]this is on my loom. The only blue and brown/blue cable of 2 cores.

Racking my brain trying to work out where it came from. I knew I should have labelled them all as I disconnected. Damn school boy error

[ATTACH]84364[/ATTACH]this is on my loom. The only blue and brown/blue cable of 2 cores.

Racking my brain trying to work out where it came from. I knew I should have labelled them all as I disconnected. Damn school boy error

Thanks, did you find out where it goes?

Is that not for the speaker?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I have no idea mate!

Found some more chopped up cables behind passenger side under-dash.

Empty plug in the middle (brown, red).

Cut cable on left (black, red).

Crimped (black/red) seems to be going up to a tweeter.

GfZdFGg.jpg?1

Anyone have a clue where that plug should plug into?

Finished putting the rear seats into what will be my half/half interior.

Also finished doing some soundproofing and wired in the heated seat loom, with the exception of the damn fusebox.

vLkCA0h.jpg

and found this little badboy behind the dash (spoiler, not a badboy)

CmJKYu3.jpg

I don't think it is connected anymore as i've never heard it go off, so wondering if it could be causing my stereo not to work.

I've got the brakes on now and began the bleeding process. Noticed this lovely oil slick on the floor of the garage and sourced it to a steering rack boot split 7dbb4dd099b47ac95cd4e2d997075b1b.jpg

As the front is jacked up its ran backwards along the car and has now wet the underseal and floorpan!

7abeb68c4cb6fbdcb3df671292886076.jpg

The problem is right now I can't move the car, and the question is, how worried should I be? Any advice??

I thought they only had grease in, not oil !!

Yeah, I have no idea what's going on. I checked my power steering fluid bottle and it's about empty, something is not right.

The rack boot is just a dust seal, fluid shouldn't be in there, the rack seal itself must be leaking?