culshaw

Culshaw's VR6

Car has just got a new MOT, at the cost of a new CAT and a steering rack (got one from powerracksdirect for £145).

Should be getting it back next week. I was really worried about how low it would sit at the back on 17's but it seems not too bad right now.

It might have helped that I have taken everything but the spare wheel out though!

Got her back after what seems like an eternity!a29160c0e511ccdb45a26308c502d9e0.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

So tonight I thought I would see if I could slide the sunroof backwards with the allen key. It was a little tough at first but I managed to get the sunroof halfway slid back with a wind unwind rocking motion. The guides are completely caked in what I think is dried up lubricant. I'm happy it slid back at all tbh, I thought it was shot.

I'm going to try to order some lubricant in the morning to free up the mechanism.

One problem I did have though was that the trim seemed to be further back than the actual roof panel. It only happens on slide back though. Pics for 1000 words if anyone can confirm if this is the expected position upon opening?

bfc51aa7f964dba0bd5af6d8bde399a4.jpg

Spruced up the engine bay a little bit today, meant to get the old foam off but ran out of time.

b0cdfcdfed22150553bb1b2011a031e0.jpgbc80fb3f052dabb16c54d87cbc814847.jpg

Normally a small impact would have cracked the paint.
Yea but that definitely hasn't happened car has been on my drive for months

And in other news I'm so dumb I was operating the sunroof switch completely wrong and I now have a working sunroof!!!

My two remaining electrical niggles are no stereo and electric mirrors.

Stripped the front-end, replaced all the coolant hoses with Samcos.

Treated the rad support, it wasn't in terrible condition but a layer or two of hammerite will help it

qq9joST.jpg

Also dug out my ambitious next step but am nervous about strapping it on and blowing up the engine given it's done 150k after 3000rpm.

AVMofuZ.jpg

There's a metal prong welded on (you can see on far-right). I'm unsure what this is for, it doesn't seem to fit anywhere on first glance.

Nice motor :) that'll certainly liven up the VR! Get it on there

Absolutely pappin' about it going on! :)

Today I rounded off a whole series of work I've been doing on the car

I've fitted samcos, a metal crack pipe, an oil cooler and started the plan for supercharging

I used a setrab cooler bracket to house the mocal (the mocal needed a bit of help to fit) and then drilled two holes in the slam panel centre pillar to mount it.

hfXjEVJ.jpg

I'd previously measured this up and planned it but didn't allow for pressure under the slam panel when it is tightened to the chassis. This means it's a very very tight fit against the rad on the bottom left. Tighter than I'm happy with.

Here's how it looks fitted

Wn9nkO1.png

After this photo I looped some broken plastic around the upper pipe as a makeshift sheathing to stop the razor sharp metal on the slam panel cutting into the pipe. (Temp bodge)

Earlier on in the day i'd had the bright idea of turning the engine on while the oil cooler was disconnected but pipes were dangling. It could have been an expensive mess given I'm in rented housing, but I had a tiny spark to put the pipes into a bucket. It ended up with 1.5ltrs of oil in so I got super lucky.

I was under the impression the thermostat wouldn't open until 80deg so was really surprised to see any oil!

Nice fitment.

Is your filter take off thermostatically controlled ? you may find the oil runs quite cold with it there.

Nice fitment.

Is your filter take off thermostatically controlled ? you may find the oil runs quite cold with it there.

Yes, it's supposed to open at 80 degrees, I was mystified to see a bucket full of oil

Looking good - what are the plans with the super charging? I was always tempted to fit a small oil cooler myself on the N/A car to keep the temperatures down to more acceptable levels (88-100 would be nice!) - I wonder if renewing the heat exchanger would improve things...

Yes, it's supposed to open at 80 degrees, I was mystified to see a bucket full of oil

Nice tidy install.

As for your bucket of oil test... unless its specifically stated by the manufacturer.. 80 degrees means its fully open at 80 degrees, so some oil will flow when cold.

I've been mulling over in my head whether there would be more clearance on the opposite side of the slam panel to give a better fit. I tested it out and I estimated there was about 3cm more depth so got to drilling and mounting.

tYzKws0.jpg

Here's after a test mount, before I laid down some new shiny pipes.

cZJ5GZz.jpg

Pipes going out sandwich routed to base of crossmember.

vDBd2bh.jpg

They sit nicely to the edge of the rad.

SNgNX4J.jpg

Mounted and piped, quite happy with the length, I think the lower pipe is around 5-6cm too long but it's no big deal.

jorRka4.jpg

Sits nicely behind bumper

Ran the car up to temp to try and get the thermostat to open after reassurance from the bloke who sold me the mocal, realised too late I hadn't put a retaining clip back on a thermostat sensor, cue coolant acid rain.

Hopefully will get it back together and topped up tonight

Car is back together, seems to be working all fine.

I have replaced a faulty ABS sensor, fixed a broken bonnet cable clip, and also fitted the Kurzy loom I've had since 2015.

Car is almost ready for MOT. Then supercharging.

Also picked up some used Eibach springs for a mk2 golf that stand higher than the supposedly "correct fitment for a corrado b12 kit springs".

I'm not buying it but whatever. It's over now.

New wheels, no more spacers!

This is the first picture of the ride height sorted with the mk2 eibach springs (on a bilstein b12 setup)

T8T4fVk.jpg

Looking good. I've got the B12 kit too (with the revised rear springs). Did you fit the original rears? I didn't bother as new they'd be wrong looking the size of the spring.

Edit - now seen your previous pics and see you did have it fitted. New setup is much better imo - gaps looks consistent front and back. I reckon the original springs in the eibach kit were really for the -50mm sportline kit.

Edited by pfnsht