Guest sam1990rhodes

16v to Mk4 brake callipers

Guest sam1990rhodes

Hi,

Was looking at doing the brake calliper upgrade on my rado at some point, was comparing the mk4 calliper to the 16v hub and noticed it appears like the calliper/brake pad would foul the brake disc? do i need anything to modify the front calliper to fit or do the below pictures look ok and im being stupid?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]84027[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]84028[/ATTACH]

Fronts?

Originally using 288mm discs on the MK4?

4 stud hubs?

If yes I believe you need 284mm Fiat coupe non turbo front discs, I've not done this myself, but it has been mentioned a few times on CGTi so may be worth asking on there for a definitive answer?

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Fiat_Coupe_2.0_1999/p/car-parts/regular-service/car-service-parts/brake-discs/?10458007A&1&8d4ca3bb4afa565087942a5d6346b004dbce4c13&000027

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Volkswagen_Corrado_1.8_1992/p/car-parts/regular-service/car-service-parts/brake-discs/?10444030A&1&2a9a235a83bc06046f05c7acb6dc2f29debe947d&000027

Looks like its not a straight fit, PCD and centre bore of the discs are both different and would need some machining (presuming I've searched the correct disc?).

The usual upgrade is VR6 callipers and carriers (early MK3 golf or Corrado) and use a G60 front 280mm 4 stud disc which is a bolt on fit

Edited by Dox

Guest sam1990rhodes

yeah they are 288m 5stud, so ill need 288m 4 stud for rado.

I recall it being mentioned that you can get some polo brake discs that fit?

I've never heard of a 288mm 4 stud polo disc.

You could try both MK4 or MK3 discs as there offset is different, both would have to be drilled 4 x 100 should the offset be correct

Guest sam1990rhodes

Hmm, looking at that its probably going to be easier for me to pick up some VR6 front callipers then, save having to get the discs machined each time i need to swap them!.

Whats the correct offset if i was going to go down the mk4 288 route?

I've fitted 312mm to a 4 Stud and machined the carriers (by around 3mm) and discs but these need 6mm spacing adding to them to fit a VR6 so in theory the 288's would need nearly 10mm removing to correct the offset (I think - could be completely wrong)

Info here but pics have disappeared due to forum upgrades unfortunately.

http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?45434-312mm-Brakes-on-a-4-Stud

You maybe best off looking at the 305mm Brembo conversion that was designed for 4 stud

Guest sam1990rhodes

all sounds very involved, suspect i may just go down the G60 brake calliper route if the 288mm mk4 caliper is a no go.

Guest sam1990rhodes
The usual upgrade is VR6 callipers and carriers (early MK3 golf or Corrado) and use a G60 front 280mm 4 stud disc which is a bolt on fit

is there any reason not to use the g60 front setup? so just use G60 calliper/carrier and disk?

is there any reason not to use the g60 front setup? so just use G60 calliper/carrier and disk?

It's the same stuff...

If you're looking at second hand then the Seat Ibiza was the last model to use that setup (Lucas / Girling 54)

Guest sam1990rhodes

Just checked the caliper again, noticed the caliper was stamped with 54, does this mean they are the 280mm version?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]84031[/ATTACH]

54 is the piston size but both the Lucas / Girling setup and the ATE setup are marked 54

This is why you can interchange these and not have to upgrade the master cylinder to keep the pedal feel.

The one above is an ATE caliper from the MK4 style 288 / 312mm setup.

Guest sam1990rhodes

oh ok, dam, thought id dropped lucky!.

so does that mean im best picking up something like these from ebay they 54 but 280mm:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]84032[/ATTACH]

Guest sam1990rhodes

yeah agreed they dont look the best!. If they look like 288 too this may be whats leading to my confusion!.

How do i tell the difference?

Guest sam1990rhodes

will drop him a message, cheers dox.

yeah agreed they dont look the best!. If they look like 288 too this may be whats leading to my confusion!.

How do i tell the difference?

I can't see the links so apologies if its been covered, but the 288mm calipers will have a triangular cut out at the top. The 280mm have a rectangular cut out, of sorts. Thats the best way to identify between the two.

Guest sam1990rhodes

Alright ive picked some up from a mk4 tdi. What brake lines should I use? Looking braided.

You need conversion hoses. Mk2 - Mk4 is what its commonly advertised as. If you look on C&R enterprises they do the sets, or there are HEL ones on ebay iirc, as well as some others that are competitively priced. Or, you could just use standard mk3/4 Golf rubber hoses. They all have the same fitting to the copper pipe.

Guest sam1990rhodes

I may have messed up.... brakes arrived other day, got round to opening them and the carriers appear to be part of the hub! argh!!.

looks like ill be able to take the caliper off of the hub and theyll look like this: [ATTACH=CONFIG]84091[/ATTACH]

Can i just pick up some G60 carriers or do i need a different calipers too?

I have an old thread on here with all the part#s for MkIV rears (same on all cars) and 288s on the front for my VR.

I may have messed up.... brakes arrived other day, got round to opening them and the carriers appear to be part of the hub! argh!!.

looks like ill be able to take the caliper off of the hub and theyll look like this: [ATTACH=CONFIG]84091[/ATTACH]

Can i just pick up some G60 carriers or do i need a different calipers too?

Nothing will fit your corrado.

The good news is if the calliper slider threads in the hubs are OK (many are stripped) they're very sought after so you should be able to sell them on (NSF are like gold dust) to get your money back