edd

correct Nuts and Bolts suppliers

Hi All

Tried search but nothing definitive on forum or elsewhere

I will have all my subframe,crossmember,rad support parts back from powder coaters soon so I have had a poke around under the car and determined that I need to ideally replace the following nuts and bolts,

where is the best place to source will VW dealers still stock, and/or can I get better ones that won't corrode so readily

parts needed are shown below quantities (in brackets)and part numbers taken from VAG CAT ETKA

(4 of)

5 N 90305901

hexagonal head bolt

M10X73 /

(2 of)

6 N 0195461

hexagonal head bolt

BM8X52 /

(2 of)

7 N 10141701

hexagon head bolt c/w shoulder

M10X25 /

(3 of)

11 N 90074401

hexagon nut, self-locking

M8 /

(1 of)

13 N 10241603

AM10X45-SW16 /

(1 of)

15 N 90489701

hexagon socket head bolt with collar

M10X60 / manual gearbox

(4 of)

18 N 0195334

M8X20 /

(2 of)

20 N 10209603

M12X1,5X65 /

(2 of)

21 N 10257501

M10X24 /

(2 of)

22 N 10207803

hexagonal head bolt

M12X1,5X78 /

(1 of)

26 N 90553202

double stud with hexagon drive

BM10X58/M8X12 /

(1 of)

32 N 10241603

AM10X45-SW16 /

so apparent an "0x" equals a little alien - unhelpfully amusing

VW still stock them, and you could get them zinc plated to prolong their life. Its relatively cheap I believe. My plan is to use stainless items on all fixings that aren't load bearing, and get either the existing ones plated if they're in reasonable condition, or get new from VW.

Its quite surprising how much the bigger bolts and nuts cost. Can spend a fortune at VW.

But then trying to source all the correct spec bolts online can be a bit of a faff about. And then you don't really get much discount unless you're buying bags of 59 etc

I think for common little fixing you could be best buying an assortment box online, might cost a bit but its a handy thing to have.

For the subframe and suspension bolts I'd probably just go the VW with the part numbers.

Just go to VW. Whilst trim pieces and stuff are a real nightmare in terms of availability, things like nuts and bolts generally seem to remain very widely available so you should be able to get everything. But as Jim said, certainly the bigger bolts can be surprisingly expensive for what they are so your bill could well add up!

some of the vw bolts are bespoke and very pricey. I bought one for the gear selector - cost about £15 iirc. Lost it, had to buy another....and then promptly found the old one. So its a spare that i'll never likely need again

They do add up . I bought all new when I did the rear underside , you think it's only a few nuts n bolts , but they ain't cheap .