thamouse1981

Help...couple of issues

Hi so my car gets used very little. The other day I drove it to work (5 miles) and it performed as advertised, went to start it to leave and there was a pop on turn over and the car felt like it had dropped a cylinder spluttering and banging and the engine had clearly more movement in it. I decided to drive around work a bit (military camp) every so often the cat burst into life but then spluttered at low revs. When I went to use the brakes there was next to none just a very stiff pedal! I parked up and there it has stayed....so oooo anyone got any ideas?? All welcome!! Thanks in advance

Engine or gearbox mount failed? With maybe a few other items joining in on the party? I wouldn't drive it like that - get it checked over by a qualified mechanic on a lift or set of ramps. Once you have all the info come back here for some advice.

When the damper goes it doesn't pop n crackle , it goes off like a gun shot . I've been next to a VR when one has exploded , I s&&t my self lol .

I have solved it yet I went to have a look bit the battery had died! I think (hopefully) coil gone causing misfire. Brake wise it looked like the pipe on the inlet manifold was almost off I assume the increased engine movement has caused this. Unfortunately I need to charge the battery to find out.

If the pipe for the servo was off then there's a good chance that was why it was misfiring/running rough. I would fix that and see how it goes before replacing the coil pack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You would have had a vacuum leak and that would lead to all sorts of fueling and ignition issues as the ECU would not have been able to obtain accurate airflow metering data.

You can test the intake pressure with a cheap mechanical boost gauge and some tubing and a t-piece. The normal values are in the Bentley factory repair manual.

Most of the vacuum system is hidden, so you need to strip the covers and trim off the engine to check the hoses and connectors for cracks and splits.

Sounds like you would also have lost brake servo assist as the servo is linked to the intake vacuum system.

Hope this helps.

Edited by fendervg

I can confirm she is fixed!!! I changed the coil pack with no luck, had a look at the throttle body and a hose had come off put it back on and back in business...I'll leave the new coil pack on any way...thanks for all the input though

Thanks, if anyone has similar symptoms in future vacuum pipe on the inlet manifold caused the brake fail I think due to excessive engine movement caused by a pipe off from throttle body to pcv breather making the engine very lumpy