Rado87

VR6 engine noise

Just wondering if anyone is willing/think it's a good idea to post a video of their engine running to compare (mainly) tappet/cam noise? As some of you might know, I have recently rebuilt my VR lump but did not change the cams and although had the head reskimmed, pressure tested and new valve stem oil seals, I did not have the tappets done. I personally think my engine is a tad loud and I'd be interested to gather some opinions and hopefully hear some more videos. I'm running 10W 40 Shell Helix and as I'm approaching 500 miles since rebuild I'll be doing an oil and filter change soon, I'm thinking of putting in a slightly thicker oil in an attempt to quieten her down when hot. So, hear is my engine at full operating temp, roughly 92 water temp and 104 oil temp....https://vimeo.com/180432780

Fair enough! Lol! Any opinions on my one? I've heard a lot worse but would like it quieter!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does sound tappetty yours has a metal valve cover which may amplify the sound a bit though.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Sounds about the same as mine... 1993 engine with 90k on the clock. Actually glad you posted as wasn't sure what a VR6 engine was supposed to sound like (other than listening to various youtube videos) so be good to understand whether ours is 'normal'.

Yea, definitely! I'm not overly worried about it, like you say, good to get some feedback on what others are like!

Interesting what you say about a metal rocker cover mate. Is there a plastic replacement then?

Sounds about right they're not the quietest of engine tbh. Ive just added some 10w60 oil to mine on the last change which has made it a bit quieter. Mine has about 73000 miles.

There must be some core reason why it happens. I've been through just about everything on my car, and am now a mere 750 miles into a completely rebuilt engine by Stealth racing including rebored block and new oversized Mahle pistons and even a replacement head... and piston slap is back first time you fire it up for a couple of minutes, and the valve train ticks as badly as it ever has especially between 2000-3000RPM.

It's gone back for them to have a look at, but I'm trying to come to terms with it just being a VR6 trait. As infuriating as it is.

I do think that there is some silver bullet answer / solution to it.. it must relate to oil pressure or something but.. I just don't know.

I feel for you Jim, mines in the same sort of rev range too. I've had the head refurbed as above but using existing tappets, springs and buckets/lifters. I have been told it could be down to the cam wear but I didn't think of this at the time, plus my budget didn't allow for new cams!

Been through several sets of cams.. doesn't seem to matter :( Would love to know if new OE cams are available from VW though.

*edit*

Listed at £240/each from VW.. wonder if they're actually still available and actually still that price :)

Mines a late one with a plastic cover. 122k but sounds the bloomin same. Although I don't believe mines had any work done, yet.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Starting to think maybe I should of replaced all the tappets and associated parts. Jim, you say you had a replacement head, was it fully rebuilt, all new parts??