Sign in to follow this  
Joe M

Brake Bleeding

My brakes have been bled twice now since having mk4 calipers and new hoses/pipes fitted on tuesday.

Problem is, the pedals still a bit spongey and it sounds like there is air being pushed through the pipes near the bias valve when the pedal is pressed.

Whats the proper way to bleed the brakes on a C?

The master cylinder has also been bled, as well as the 2 valves on top of the abs, though no air came out of them.

Did you have the ignition turned on while you bled 'em? The ABS needs to be powered while bleeding the brakes else you'll get a spongey pedal... :?

I didn't know this so wasn't too impressed with my new Brembos until I found out about it and then nearly put myself through my windscreen! :lol: :oops: :mrgreen:

The ignition was on though it didnt seem to make any difference to the pump, it doesnt kick in till the engines running. Maybe worth bleeding them with the engine on?

They were also bled in the following order:

Master cylinder

abs pump

front right

front left

back left

back right

sounds like how I did mine... I have no idea then... :?

Could it be anything to do with the brake bias valve? The car was jacked up at the back at the time so id imagine it would restrict the flow? Though fluid was coming out the rear calipers so I doubt this would affect it. :?

could do to be fair... like I say, you've got me stumped there... :?

Had to change bias valve a while ago and was told to tip the rear calipers to get all the air out (make sure the pistons dont come out cos they are a b.... to get back in)

cant answer your question i'm affraid but just doing a bit more research before getting my mechanic to change my abs pump. is it easy to bleed it?

ta , any advice...hope you get yours sorted soon!

I actually bled the master cylinder again and got a bit more air out. The pedal was still a bit soft at first but improved hugely after the pads bedded in. There great now. 8)

jedi-knight83, abs pump has 2 bleed nipples on the top of it. We never got any air out of mine but it was very easy to do.

i always thought you should bleed the brakes starting with the brake the furthest away from the master cylinder :?

Don´t say anything related with brake bleeding to me! :oops:

Today i changed the front discs and pads.

After that i felt the brake pedal very spongey!

But how could that be?

I haven´t touched anything else.

Is it possible to have air in the system even that way?

The bad news...

I decided to bleed the system, and the front left bleeding pipe was sized...

IT IS BROKEN NOW! :shock: :mad: :cry:

when you change discs and pads they need to bed in for a few hundred miles so they wont feel to good for a while,it should say on the box to avoid heay breaking if possible