Sakers

Sakers' 92 G60

Hi, i joined the site in March so thought it was about time i made a build thread ! I have a 1992 Blue metallic pearl G60. i bought the car early in March this year after wanting one since i was 16.

Engine: Its had the stage 4 charger mod done, chip, 68mm pulley, gas flowed head and intake kit, stainless miltek decat exhaust system all done by Jabbasport in its past.

Suspension: lowered koni shocks/springs

Wheels: Azev A 17" alloys

Interior: Factory fitted cloth interior has been re-trimmed in half leather. a very tidy job.

By chance i also found out yesterday that this car was previously owned by Tjninny, and he was the owner that got all the engine work i listed above done, also the suspension and wheels.

Few pics here, taken the weekend after i picked it up:

2hhnd6a.jpg

2q1rwqe.jpg

fk1d2a.jpg

126cr4i.jpg

o03337.jpg

2upwks0.jpg

I didn't do a great deal of work to the car after buying it, as my daily driver is a 1994 audi 80 tdi which required alot of tlc ! and im also trying to restore my mk2 golf. Not one of my greatest ideas owning 3 cars that are all 20+ years old haha.

Basically i tinted the front fogs/indicators with lamin-x, fit my personal reg and painted up the front calipers. Gave it a full service including plugs, coolant, power steering fluid, oil/filter etc and kept it well polished. i also modded some old doorspeakers my dad gave me, they were alot smaller than the corrados but more than twice the sound quality. It has a stealth shelf fitted that massively overpowered the original fronts. (il get a pic of the stealth shelf when i remember)

Pics:

30a1.jpg

wgs409.jpg

34ybvcn.jpg

106ilhk.jpg

2v7v3u0.jpg

24xkmqu.jpg

67mvdv.jpg

312ioud.jpg

e9swg3.jpg

fbibro.jpg

Basically that was it. i ran it for the next 6 months while i got the work done on my audi. The rado never let me down once, considering i used it as a daily driver to work and back at 45 miles each way and an hour per trip. sadly toward the end of this period all of its niggles and faults becam present. The suspension over the years has gone soft and bouncy, the rear exhaust silencer weld split, the top mounts collapsed, washers stopped working etc the list goes on. I also found out that the ABS had been bypassed, the coolant hoses felt like the insides were in pieces, the thermostat was stuck open and after having it on my ramp at work found that the alloys had the most egg shaped inner rims iv ever seen before lol. Its MOT was then due but i decided to take it off the road rather than going for some cheap fixes and rushing it back out.

Im Half way through the work now and not far off getting it back out. Im fitting a front mount intercooler kit from Pro Alloy motorsport, Mocal air/oil cooler, KW v2 coilovers, Silicone coolant hose kit, brembo brake discs/pads all round and replacing all the other important bits such as blue coolant sensor, ecu vac line etc (would be here for days if i listed all parts iv fitted lol) Im also downsizing to 16" 6j porsche D90s, i love the Azevs but i need to get them straightened and the power steering pump is feeling the strain of 17x7.5j alloys and id rather it not fail after spending what i already have ! haha

The parts pile:

2wdwz86.jpg

Sorry to double post. couldnt fit it all in 1 !

Basically as you can see i had a mega amount of work to do. took a Sneak preview of the new FMIC as i was stripping the front end down.

2e4vh36.jpg

Removed, primed and painted all the mounts / crossmembers / supports etc. was very disappointed in having to refit the disgusting Rad support section. but il hopefully have a custom made stainless steel replacement coming when i can contact the guy selling them.

so359g.jpg

v8f0ug.jpg

5f0ykj.jpg

52yo9e.jpg

I then deleted the factory water/oil cooler and fit the mocal air/oil cooler. i temp fitted the cooler unit where the original intercooler was sat but im possibly going to change that depending on how much rooms left at the front after the FMIC is fitted. I really dont like how the pipes will run to where its sat now

kf2tya.jpg

2mfi5c7.jpg

2ywh6bd.jpg

29xgaw5.jpg

Next i did a few of the smaller bits as i was waiting for a few more parts to arrive.

New voltage regulator:

nl4bxf.jpg

New distributor cap, rotor and uprated silicone HT leads. Also new Black/Blue coolant sensors:

k33f9c.jpg

2qcr1nb.jpg

11iif81.jpg

15qyn4g.jpg

Then i fit the new slimline rad fan ready for when i mount the intercooler in the next few days.

2r6mkhh.jpg

6sb24x.jpg

Basically this is where im upto now. stuck until some of the incorrect parts i was sent have been corrected but that should only be a couple of days, will update more then. Sorry its been such a huge 1st post to read through but i should have started this months ago haha.

Cheers, Craig.

Few more bits done on the car over the last 2 weeks. Finally sourced a solid rad support panel and my coolant hoses arrived so got them all fitted. Also replaced my expansion tank and washer bottle as my old ones were scummy and wouldnt clean up well enough.

Rad Panel:

3449jpl.jpg

Hoses and bottles:

2nukuus.jpg

fndd9j.jpg

2eph8gl.jpg

180odw.jpg

Then i could get the intercooler fitted. Wasnt too bad to put together but the pipework in the bottom right corner was an absolute nightmare. had pipes chafing on each other, kinking or rubbing against the body but after a lot of messing about i managed to get it all right.

2bwaib.jpg

2z3ypo7.jpg

a1ua9y.jpg

Had to do a bit of trimming to the slam panel to get it on but i expected to have to cut away more than i actually needed. so that went alot quicker than i expected.

rh7omf.jpg

28tkoqp.jpg

2i7mo00.jpg

263vwnd.jpg

Just need to replace a few more water flanges and sensors and should have the full front end back on next week and possibly its first fire up for over 2 months.

Excellent work :) Nice to see a G60 getting a bit of TLC - you really don't see many of them around these days :(

Just to let you know the abs bypass wasn't me!! I did fit the stealth shelf though, but the door cards were still cloth as were the seats when I had it.Not surprised the suspension was past its best, I remember it being very firm though when new.

Excellent work :) Nice to see a G60 getting a bit of TLC - you really don't see many of them around these days :(

Thanks :) and your right there definitely isnt many g60s about these days that havnt been engine swapped or charger swapped.

Just to let you know the abs bypass wasn't me!! I did fit the stealth shelf though, but the door cards were still cloth as were the seats when I had it.Not surprised the suspension was past its best, I remember it being very firm though when new.

Haha dont worry i know it wasnt you! it was quite recently done, and still cant believe the weight of that rear shelf lol.

Ok so this isnt a dead project ! been a long while since iv had time on the rado because of having to sort my daily out. running 2 20+ year old cars is not a good idea, but its an audi 80 thats just too good to sell.

Finally made some progress over the last few months though. The engine work is completely finished, intercooler installed, air/oil cooler bled up and working, low temp fan switch fitted etc. replaced the ecu vac line and read almost everywhere that being 1m in length is critical, found my old one to be about 20 cm too short lol. Fitted the front end and new bumper. Old bumper iron and mounts were seriously rotten which is strange as the rest of the car is completely solid. no fogs now as i added vents for extra cooling to the relocated oil cooler.

14j3vp2.jpg

nfm9ed.jpg

iqzy2r.jpg

2ilhuz5.jpg

After 8 months sat i cranked it over with the king lead removed a few times then it fired up first turn of the key. ran perfect apart from the power steering pump and alternator both rattling to death after a few mins lol. have got refurbed replacements ready to fit though when it goes to Jabba for its Charger rebuild and timing belt. ran it upto temp bled it all up and that was that.

21jrnmc.jpg

Next was to start the suspension. Replaced everything at the front, new wishbones and ball joints, track rod ends, ARB links, fitted kw v2 coilovers, brembo discs and pads and while it was all apart i took my arch liners out wire brushed it all and undersealed it. no rust atall in the inner wings :)

24fivr4.jpg

29z6h6w.jpg

znka4i.jpg

2vsf5e8.jpg

Thats as far as i got for now. drove the car earlier tonight to give it a quick shake down after the engine work, and it feels incredible. had the smaller D90s on the front aswell which helped it feel alot more sharp. just need to do the rear suspension next weekend and its ready for mot.

Couple of pics of the 80 for anyone interested:

30w45lx.jpg

2i9qdjq.jpg

Edited by Sakers

Looking good - nice to see the effort you're putting in on it. I remember it being pretty quick when I owned it. In hindsight I think it would have been better with 16" wheels but those Azevs are the dogs b*llocks in my opinion!!

Looking good - nice to see the effort you're putting in on it. I remember it being pretty quick when I owned it. In hindsight I think it would have been better with 16" wheels but those Azevs are the dogs b*llocks in my opinion!!

Thanks :) and trust me i love the azevs too, there not going anywhere! il fit them again at some point now iv got a new steering pump and i get them straightened out. i like D90s but there a bit common.

The Corrado is back on the road ! :D Taxed, MOT'd and insured for the first time in 9 months. Not getting much driving due to needing an exhaust section making, charger rebuild and timing belt. But iv put miles on it again and im loving it.

Finished the rear suspension, ****ty job as the bolt for the last shock snapped into the axle, took hours to drill out and had no form of heat at home with me. A mate sprayed the front bumper black temporarily (beats red) and its not lowered yet, will be going on a fair few ramps in the next few weeks so i didnt see the point. Also fit my new alternator, uprated it from the 65 to the 90.

Here are some pics

acycua.jpg

hsq7og.jpg

4t0qva.jpg

The most recent pics :D

sl5pvq.jpg

dh3lx.jpg

Still a very long way to go !

The Corrado is back on the road ! :D Taxed, MOT'd and insured for the first time in 9 months. Not getting much driving due to needing an exhaust section making, charger rebuild and timing belt. But iv put miles on it again and im loving it.

Finished the rear suspension, ****ty job as the bolt for the last shock snapped into the axle, took hours to drill out and had no form of heat at home with me. A mate sprayed the front bumper black temporarily (beats red) and its not lowered yet, will be going on a fair few ramps in the next few weeks so i didnt see the point. Also fit my new alternator, uprated it from the 65 to the 90.

Here are some pics

acycua.jpg

hsq7og.jpg

4t0qva.jpg

The most recent pics :D

sl5pvq.jpg

dh3lx.jpg

Still a very long way to go !

Sweet!! Nice to see it back with someone who cares - will be worth all the effort in the end!!

Yeah this car is definitely worth it!

Nice work.

What do you use for the inner arch, is that just cleaned up or painted again?

Thanks, cleaned it up and gave it a few coats of hycote spray on underseal. Turned out alot better than i expected

Superb work & fabulous pictures, I have a mildly modded 92 G60 that has been an absolute rock & has never let me down in 24years, these really are great cars, good fun to drive with superb driver feedback thro chassis/steering & with a little TLC utterly reliable.

Hope you get real joy from it after all your hard work.

Cheers for the replies / feedback everyone. heres an 18 month update :o The Corrado is still alive!

Not a big one as too much has gone on in that time, but il post what i can remember. Forgot about this site!

I finally lowered it, and got almost a full exhaust system - the manifold made by PP tuning in louth. did a stunning job and the car sounds great. My orgininal miltek blew the packing out and not long later split clean open after a backfire on the way to work one morning haha!

2lxghsk.jpg

Car was then taken to Jabbasport. It had a Charger rebuild, Timing belt, Waterpump, Power steering pump, aux belts changed, Redtop injectors, injector loom, carbon cannister delete and stage 2 map. Unsure of BHP as i lowered it too much initially and when it settled completely it ended up being too low for dynos (Not proud).

1411o44.jpg

Annoyingly before i even ran the charger in the rad started weeping. so front end off yet again, new rad and filled with new coolant yet again lol. Good job i Uprated to the 90 amp alternator as i also fitted uprated speakers to the stealth shelf and an amp. sadly the original speaker cones disitegrated and obviously sounded gash!

Ran the car on and off from July 17 - October 17, when my Audi needed work again. So the Corrado did a full 4 month winter stint until Feb 18. 94 miles 6 days a week. What a car, didnt let me down once when i needed it. despite not treating it as it deserved.

9gc7sw.jpg

Sods law though i get the Audi done, and on the last day of Corrado use this happens

34doism.jpg

Inner CV fell apart. replaced it a week later with a full SKF driveshaft and on day 3 the inner on that shaft failed!! It was getting its revenge on me as both times i was 1 hour + from home. i replaced it with an original Lobro/GKN and its been ok since.

Used it On and off over summer 2018, usual maintenance required with servicing, tyres etc, replacing the odd sensor / interior trim but nothing major.

rjl6ww.jpg

Was extremely silly and got caught doing a 3 figure top speed run by a sly speed camera, annoyingly the first time id ever spanked the car since its remap and major work aswell.. long story short i survived a ban by the skin of my teeth due to being a completely empty road in clear conditions etc so they deemed me only 95% a ****head. Lesson learned and iv layed the corrado up for the full winter this year until i learn not to do that again!

Some of the nicer pictures from this summer to end off :

PS if anyone could reccomend an active Audi 80 forum/group it would be massively appreciated. iv got a couple of TDi's now and parts and info for them is a nightmare to find

2625hs1.jpg

p0vmf.jpg

f4fhh.jpg

Thought you’d disappeared Good to see it still running and running well - must be down to how I looked after it all those years ago!! LOL Think I’ll have to get some info and pictures up for my VR6 that i’ve been improving over the last few years.

Lovely Corrado :)

That Audi 80 pictured in the thread has the 1.9 AHU engine I presume? Same as Mk3 Golfs, so loads of info on the web about them

Hello,

Can I ask what intercooler you used? It appears to be a good fit and a good upgrade from the standard intercooler.

Thanks Andy