Miikeyboy

Subframe renovation

What's people's opions on the best way to DIY refurb the subframe,crossmember etc. I can't afford to blast/powder coat so is a wire attachment on a drill and a bit of hammorite best way or are there other options?. Also is Eastwood Chassis Black a better paint option?. Cheers

Really? I phone company today who said 200ish. that's more what I was thinking....better have another look around. Anyone know a place Berkshire/London way?

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

I de greased mine three times . Then I used a wire brush on a drill . I also used a heavy grade sandpaper. I then applied four coats of hammerite . Considering the condition of a couple of crossmembers I've seen they don't get a lot of damage . Hammerite will last a long time .

Really? I phone company today who said 200ish. that's more what I was thinking....better have another look around. Anyone know a place Berkshire/London way?

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Jesus!!! Il do it for half what they quoted :lol:

Joking apart get it posted to LSN up here....

http://www.lsn-coatings.co.uk

They did a few for me. Carriage either way will be ~£10

Redditch ShotBlasting are very good. Dave is the man. I had various subframe(s), rad supports, bits and bobs blasted and Powder coated. was just over £100 IIRC. I have a rear axle with them at the moment bent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tried the eastwood chassis black and the other one, chassis black pro? Bought the primer and top coat and it kept reacting and coming out crap. Still got three cans of the stuff, didn't like it.

I think I'm going to paint mine too. Had lots of stuff powdercoated about 2 years ago, but noticed a small patch of rust on my rad support a few months back. It was a nylon coat too so supposed to last a bit longer and be harder wearing, but I've had to touch up the areas with hammerite. Bearing in mind its only done 3k miles since it was done, I didn't think it was particularly robust! All the engine brackets were done at the same time and they're all good, but if its exposed I wouldn't bother. So yeah, my plan for the X-member, rear beam and tank straps etc this winter (which may extend into the whole of next year due to bloody work) is to just paint them now.

I'd recommend POR15, make sure you use their 'metal ready' stuff before painting. It's also good as a tattoo substitute if you get it on your skin so wear gloves and long sleeves.

16v subframes tend to rot from the inside due to their design. I ended up buying a new one from VW Classic Parts.

Neil

Be careful if using Hammerite. Make sure you never get brake fluid on it or it will bubble and come off!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk