Sign in to follow this  
leew

Autometer gauge group buy

I'm thinking of trying to set up a group buy for Autometer gauges from the states.

Before i start i thought i check who would be interested. The gauges i'm thinking of are shown below.

So...whos up for it.

you sure you don't want vacuum on your boost gauge as well?

i'd be up for it.. but not the cobalt series. i like phantom better.

The phatom series are white which don't look as good with the standard dials. IMHO

Here is a vacuum one.

The boost gauge is back lite. The AF one doesn't need lighting as it lights up anyway :D

ya they have backlights julesz. top of the line gauges.. i have a boost gauge in the car already.. no complaints at all.

i'm switching my gauges over to white face... i'm not doing too many other 'racey' interior mods other than some metal bits.. i think the white gauges give the car a bit sharper look, but are still in good taste. :thumb right:

Just realised the ones i have shown are seriously expensive :shock: the boost one is about $200

I'll found some that are alot cheaper. About 60-70 dollars each.

I'll post piccies later as i am about to get the sack :wink:

i wouldbe in on the gauges too as im bored with the usal vdo ones! :lol:

peeps

Try VWspeedshop.co.uk

i spoke to this guy a while back. He's based in manchester and is a air cooled man.

He's a autometer blokey.

These are the ones i'm looking at now. Much cheaper and will still look the dogs danglies :D

dubboy, as GazzaG60, says 52mm equiv, 2 1/6 inches.

Chris VR6nos, I was in the process of speaking to a bloke in the States who calls himself the 'Gaugeman' but it might turn out that 'vwspeedshop' is cheaper.

How much can you supply them for???

id have boost if you are going for thew sport comp.

running a summit AF n quite happy with that.

Not only that the vortex uses um mostly so can help with running problems too.

The autometer cycle is a bit distracting too.

I like the ultralite,they give a better view,can you get some info on the lights of the sport comp and ultralite series,ill have a boost gauge for the moment,for what sort of price do you recon you could get them?,£39.38 from vwspeed for sport comp 20 psi. :)

Again I lay my head on the chopping block with my lack of knowledge about the G60 :oops: but as its is always "charging" if you like. Would you ever create a vacuum reading? I think I understand how a Turbo does this but not so clear on the G60.

If it does create a vac reading what does this then tell us?

How much do you think he will give you off the list price? and the other question is how much for delivery? I would guess whoever will want to ship to the Group Buy organiser and then they will have to be sent special delivery to us. Depending on the saving it may not be worth while (for the organiser that is).

Theis is the info from Autometers site:-

Are you going the distance? Pack a set of Sport Comp mechanical gauges in your race machine! Whether your car resembles one of the great legends of drag racing or a world-class stock car, Auto Meter puts the power of performance in your dash. Professional racers prefer the bold 270deg “full sweep” for maximum visibility under the most demanding conditions.

£39.38 is a good price. I'm just waiting for a price from across the pond!!!

the reading from the gauge is not from the charger its the inlet manifold vacum.

the gauge will sit in vac on tickover n until booooooost is introduced

hey, sportcomp boost.. thats the one i have :D

..well pleased with it. i blew the co pot out of the IC tube shortly after i got the car... noticed the lack of power, looked at the gauge, and knew within 2 seconds of noticing a problem that it was lack of boost. very handy to have.

fat tony: the G60 does produce vacuum.. i have an idea of why but i'm not the resident physics guy.. so won't touch that. its beneficial to display vacuum on the gauge since the vacuum raises and lowers based on rpm... so if you know that at a certain rpm the gauge always reads a certain number, and all the sudden that number is off.. you know there is something wrong.

i think i may just go with the summit a/f for now and save the phantoms for when i have a little more BLIIINGG 8) :lol:

I see :shock: Thanks for that.

I thought that is was always charging even on idle as they charger is being turned as the engine turns over. I guess there must be some bypass then for the air. Hmmm lots to think about

Where is everyone going to mount these gauges?

Also would there ever be a situation where you would lose VAC pressure but not boost?

I see :shock: Thanks for that.

I thought that is was always charging even on idle as they charger is being turned as the engine turns over. I guess there must be some bypass then for the air. Hmmm lots to think about

Where is everyone going to mount these gauges?

Also would there ever be a situation where you would lose VAC pressure but not boost?

I will mount it on the side pillar,much easier to look at than on the console panel. I dont know what you mean by lossing vac pressure,if you press pedal slightly you would come to a point where presssure is 0

mine's mounted on the pillar.. perfect spot for it. i have some pics but they are on my home computer.. ill try to post em tonight so you can see. its also nice to have there since its in such plain view.. new passengers in my car are always asking about it... "what's that thing do??" and i tell em "it gauges how hard i'm given er... so if you see it go to 12, you know i'm goin balls out!" hah! :lol:

i think you're on the right track fat tony.. the boost is bled off, and i think there is vacuum because the engine is sucking in the air......anyone else care to elaborate?

I will mount it on the side pillar,much easier to look at than on the console panel. I dont know what you mean by lossing vac pressure,if you press pedal slightly you would come to a point where presssure is 0

What I meant was if your doing some hard driving and your not producing much boost you would think I have a leak somewhere better get this looked at. So if you are idling and there is a change in the Vac pressure from the norm this would indicate a problem of some sort. The question is what sort of a problem would this indicate. One of the reasons for having the guage in the first place.

Where are you planning on getting the pillar holder from?

Cheers