Andystewart

Is it dead?

Evening all. 96 vr6, 130000 mls. I think my headgasket has gone. Let me explain. The lower tax hose blew off today (new hoses so just assumed I hadn't fully tightened a clip) I reconnected and refilled, started up and sounds like a bag of s**t, sounds like its only running on 3 cylinders. So I'm thinking, gaskets gone, pressurised the coolant, blew the pipe off, engine turned off allows the cylinder to fill up and now partially hydro locked? Any other ideas? Thanks

Did the coilpack get wet? Might just be a misfire from some coolant on elecs maybe?

Will get lots of steam from exhaust if the cylinder has water in it.

Well it was bottom hose that blew so I don't think any thing got wet, and it won't run well/ long enough to see anything from exhaust. It's runs as if the timing chain has skipped a tooth (don't think this is the case and no reasons why this would happen. Car was running fine until turned off)

Any other symptoms, oil in water, water in oil? Remove spark plugs shine a light down to see if you can see any evidence of water in the cylinders.

No other symptoms so far. Just ordered a HT lead tool, so I can take a look inside. I've done head gaskets before on 8 valve, and pretty hand with a tool set, is this something to leave to the professionals or shall I at least pull it apart and investigate? People make it sound so scary but the write ups seem pretty straight forward. Appreciate your reply's guys.

Its not too difficult, worth reading the timing chain replacement guide just so it gives you an idea with chain related item (tensioner bolt mainly), but its relatively straight forward to remove/replace the head. Just bear in mind that the valve chamber is pretty shallow if you get it skimmed so you don't want to be doing it too often.

Ok gents. So I took the plugs out today, and all cylinders appear to be dry. I refitted the plugs and leads and tried to start her, she tried firing on 2 or 3 cylinders then went quiet, still turning over but sounds like I'm turning it over with no plugs in (they are in obviously) is if there is no compression in any of the cylinders. Now I am confused!

Ok gents. So I took the plugs out today, and all cylinders appear to be dry. I refitted the plugs and leads and tried to start her, she tried firing on 2 or 3 cylinders then went quiet, still turning over but sounds like I'm turning it over with no plugs in (they are in obviously) is if there is no compression in end cylinder. No I am confused!

Crank it without the plugs to clear it out. Clean up the plugs and try again. Is it still firing but sounding lumpy? Pull each lead in turn and see if there's any change in engine note. If not then that lead or plug is faulty. Let us know how it goes and we'll take it from there.

Edited by fla

It was trying to fire on 2 or three cylinders, but now none! I turns over but no signs of starting,it's turning over so freely and quietly that it sound like there is no compression in any cylinder. I have spark as I've pulled each plug and tested, a crank is turning as each piston is in different place each time. And there is fuel to the injectors. It's really strange.

Are the plugs clean? Take out a lead with a plug and earth it against the block whilst someone cranks the engine to confirm a spark.

Is the ecu relay ok? This will shut down the injectors and coilpack but still allow the engine to turn over. Same with the crank sensor if its faulty or weak.

The sound you describe is a bit confusing though

Yep, I have check spark and all good. Plugs were a bit black but I can address that later as I'm suspecting a knackered head gasket anyway.but the symptoms of late just don't add up. It's as if the chain has come off and by some strange coincidence every cylinder has a valve open slightly!? Let's hope for dry weather over Xmas/ new year as I know what I'll be doing!

Ok take the sparks out and rocker cover off and turn the engine over manually from the crank pulley. Look down the right hand side of the engine where you will see the lower portion of the chain. Confirm that the camshafts and the chains are both turning when you turn manually.

Might help to remove the belt tensioner too to get clearer access for the spanner or ratchet.

Ok will do, do you think the head has gone based from the first problems I posted? Cause I'd obviously rather not remove the head of something else is evident.

had a friend that had a wierd running problem in his mk2 vr , turned out the crank sensor on the front of the engine was loose , maybe waters got into the sensor from when the hose blew off, i know it should all be water tight but wire casing might be split/cracked??? , im guesing your motor was fine before the hose blew off???