skid

Where to purchase Roof aerial?

I think my roof aerial is knackered so I need to replace it.

My car is a 95 vr6, and am presuming it's an amplified one, but if anyone could clarify for me.

there are no power lead running into it, but from what I have read the power runs through the inside of the Co ax is this true?

Phoned VW dealers today and stated they now removed from available parts so wondering where I can source one.

Sure I read on here a Fiat 500 one is the same, can anyone confirm?

I don't think the amplifier is very effective at all anyway. Have a look in the wiki section as there is a guide on how to bypass it, but you'll be able to tell if yours is amplified by comparing it to the pics.

Hi Skid,

Yeah I fitted one off a Fiat 500 when I had my car re-painted in the summer as Fiat like VW of this age use the same connectors off their aerials to the aerial lead that runs through the car to the stereo.

It was a straight swap!

I got it off e-bay after a lot of searching.. I don't know it it's a proper genuine one from Fiat but it looks the part. I've got the receipt at work so I'll dig it out tomorrow and let you know where I had it from and the price.

If you PM me your e-mail I'll send you a picture of what it looks like.

Regards the amplifier if I remember right it's fitted to the rear of the radio so changing the aerial won't cause you an issue.

John speaketh the truth! Just searched "fiat 500 aerial" and the first thing that popped up was a Base. Looks exactly the same and as mentioned, has the correct connector too. Well done JB! :thumbleft:

John I have sent you a message, don't know if it went to your inbox or your profile.

I am confused with these aerials as I have read the later corrado had its amplifier in the aerial?

I didn't know that it was built into the base?

I know when I swapped the stereo out in mine I found where the aerial plugs into the rear of the stereo there is a connector (like a short fat pencil) that connects in between the cars stereo and the aerial wiring to the back of the car which I presumed was the amplifier as it has a blue cable that connects into one of the multi plugs that plug into the rear of the stereo.

Is this a suppressor then as I thought that this was the applifyer?

John I have sent you a message, don't know if it went to your inbox or your profile.

I am confused with these aerials as I have read the later corrado had its amplifier in the aerial?

Got your PM, I'll take a photo tomorrow and e-mail it to you. I'm confused about the amplifier then my self but if it helps the one I got works fine in my car so I would think it would be fine in yours as mines a 95 VR also.

If you look an the ever useful e-bay and type in "car aerial amplifier" you will see what I'm talking about above and these are listed as amplifiers so I wonder if there are different sorts for different ages of cars?? Pull your stereo out and see what's on the back of yours?

Edited by John Blount

Couple of pics of my aerial at the rear of the car

IMAG2573.jpg

IMAG2572.jpg

Edited by skid
extra pic

When I took the stereo out, I never seen an booster in the back, but to be honest that was just behind the stereo, I never chased the cable down further as my tray/glove box is a nightmare to take out and replace due to all the air con pipework in that area 😧

The Fiat one and the new one I fitted is exactly the same as the picture you have posted with regards the connectors as I believe although thousands of them look the same there not as your original aerial has a female connector and most others are male connectors so I found it quite hard to come across one.

The amplifier if fitted behind the sterio will be within inches of where the aerial lead plugs into the rear of the sterio so you shouldn't have to go tracing the aerial cable back as it should be pretty obvious if it's there our not.

If it's not then I don't know to be honest as it must be in the base of the aerial as Sean says but I wonder how that works as like mine yours has no wiring for an electrical feed to it so I don't know how that would work.

Edited by John Blount
Spelling of name incorrect