Guy

VR6 rescue

Hi, long time lurker, one time owner of Aqua 2.0 16v (many moons ago at the tender age of 19)...

Since my first C, I've been promising myself I'd own a VR one day, and today was my day! First came across this twilight violet example this time last year, but despite striking up a conversation about re-homing, I ultimately walked away due to being 6 weeks away from being a dad for the first time... Fast forward a year, and the car's still where I left it looking just as sorry for itself and I could take it no more! So today the little'n and I drove out and did a deal! Happy as a sand boy!

The car looks basically pretty solid, and despite an immobiliser gremlin, jump starts and runs well. 101k. Black leather interior damp, as are roof lining and carpet, but mostly recoverable. Sunroof and spoiler working. AC. Non-standard parts: Spax adjustable damping kit (circa 40mm drop), a shouty air intake, and a carbon reg plate plinth (which couldn't really be less to my taste. No offence if you own one).

The plan now is to get her clean, solid and drivable. I'm no purist, and there are a few things I'd like to change/upgrade, but I want to keep the car looking as OEM as possible. Although on a long enough time line I guess anything is possible.

My time, money, and talents all have limits, so this will be a tinkerer rather than a race to get sorted, but wanted to say hello. I know there are some seriously knowledgeable folks on here, and I suspect I'm going to need some new friends on this adventure!

The seller also has VW's own wiring manual he's throwing in with the sale. I know there are manuals on here, but possibly not this one(?) it's fairly enormous, but if anyone needs anything looking up (post me going to collect) id be more than happy to oblige, and if it's not already available to the forum, will endeavour to arrange getting it all scanned and uploaded at some point. I hope I don't regret saying that...

Cheers, G

Welcome along Guy, I'm sure you'll find all the help you need here :)

Carbon number plate trim ?? :wave:

Welcome along Guy, I'm sure you'll find all the help you need here :)

Carbon number plate trim ?? :wave:

Thanks, mate.

You have one?! Oh dear, I'm off to a good start here aren't I haha!

Oh well, it'd be a boring world if we all agreed on everything, wouldn't it!

Ha ha, no, I don't have one , but I have thought about it before, so if you fancy getting rid, I may well be the guy, could swap a standard one if you like? Or buy it if you decide to sell :)

Where are you in the country anyway?

You're on. Let me confirm it's carbon, and not 'great-value carbon-like' as I only looked at it for a second before deciding it'd be coming off... I'd swap it for a standard in a second if you wanted it. I'll drop you a line either way once I've got the car trailed back to mine...

I'm in Northampton (or a few miles outside of)

You're on. Let me confirm it's carbon, and not 'great-value carbon-like' as I only looked at it for a second before deciding it'd be coming off... I'd swap it for a standard in a second if you wanted it. I'll drop you a line either way once I've got the car trailed back to mine...

I'm in Northampton (or a few miles outside of)

Nice one, I'll try and remove one(I have a couple of spare tailgates) in good order, the clips at the back never survive removal so you(and I) might find it's stuck on

She's home!

Easypops, I'll drop you a PM, but the reg plate plinth IS carbon. The hole for the lock isn't finished particularly beautifully, but easily made good. If you're still up for a trade for an original...

So far, before I get the bucket and sponge out, the only thing I've noticed that I wasn't already aware of is a couple of holes someone has seen fit to drill in the dash which I am a bit annoyed about, but I'm sure it won't end there!

Immediate priority is to clear the sunroof drains as I'm fairly confident that's where the puddle in the rear passenger footwell originated. Planned on taking the whole damp, mildewy interior out anyway to dry/clean/restore, then replace various missing or damaged pieces of trim as I put back. Once I've got it to a point where it's not getting any worse, I'll give the rest of the car a more thorough going over (and under) and see how quickly the to-do list lengthens...

This is never going to be of the same calibre as of some of the build/restoration threads I've read on here, but I'll post the odd update as I tinker away...

Been waiting for the day I had a VR on the drive since my teens, so holes in the dash not withstanding; today was a good day!

Good to see you getting stuck in :)

Yes, still up for a trade mate, although I've still to remove one but should get to it at the weekend

You beat me to it! Can't figure out how to send a picture in PM so here it is (it seems to be trying to remove itself!). No rush whatsoever, just let me know when you're ready

Fingers crossed it'll be off at the weekend, I'm just hoping it'll come off in one piece. The last one I removed was siliconed on and it split along the bottom edge. I'll be far more careful this time :)

Thanks, mate. Yeah he's a good boy - he's 10st of drool, clumsiness and year-round shedding, but I love the bones of him

Looking good! sounds like you're in a similar boat to me... my VR had stood for 3+ years (since found out it could be nearer 4+ :( ) with a trashed gearbox, didn't run when I got it back ether, full of water, mould and mildew but like you I couldn't watch it rot away, so have pressed on with it cleaning and repairing it... hopefully will have it somewhere near the road by the summer... one word of advice.. leave the sunroof well alone! :D

Sounds like you've bitten off way more than me, to be fair! Mine's been off road since the end of '13,but it was laid up in favour of doing up an old Porsche rather than because it went wrong... Don't want to sound too confident in it's integrity though - I'll pay for it later! Whereabouts in Bucks are you?

Sounds like you've bitten off way more than me, to be fair! Mine's been off road since the end of '13,but it was laid up in favour of doing up an old Porsche rather than because it went wrong... Don't want to sound too confident in it's integrity though - I'll pay for it later! Whereabouts in Bucks are you?

Yep I have thought that on a few occasions... it's fighting me all the way, the sunroof has driven me close to crazy.. the thought of dancing round the car wailing like a mad man with an empty petrol can and a box of matches did cross my mind.. :D

Yep I can see the attraction of the Porsche... anything with a Stuttgart badge seems to be going up in value faster than houses.

Be prepared for bits to ping off, snap and disintegrate in your hands, but other than that its all good! and people here are really helpful.

I'm about 7 miles from Aylesbury on the Oxfordshire border.

I've got to remove my plinth soon as it's hanging off one end. What's the best way to remove it? Got to go in from the boot?

There are some small nut fixings inside the boot and the very bottom part is stuck on with a tape that runs across the whole length. I poured boiling hot water down the back which eventually softened it. Very gently it came away but this bottom part breaks easily so Dont rush it

Cressa

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Thought I'd share the little progress my time has allowed since getting the car home.

The exterior has been freed of its moss and mould to reveal totally shot paintwork. There's not a panel on the car that could be saved without paint. I'd always banked on a full respray at some stage, but it's going to look a little rougher than I thought until I get there. She's had a p-poor blow-over at some stage, so plenty of overspray in shuts too. Hey-ho...

Other than that, I've removed the seats and carpet (which is in surprisingly good nick and will clean up like new) to dry out the car and replace sound deadening/underlay, and to do a thorough job of cleaning up and conditioning the dry/mildewey leather of the seats. I cleared the sunroof drains with a bit of welding wire and a lung full of air, which has sorted the leak out there, but today's rain has revealed another, lesser leak in the passenger footwell. I understand the first place I should check is the foliage seal in the scuttle(?) it's not pouring in - just a little drip, but I'm not going to even consider moving forward until it's 100%.

So far so good then. The only other thing I've found is a hole the size of my little fingernail under the plastic strips on the door sills. I took a deep breath and gave it hell with an old screwdriver, but it got no bigger, so I think this will remain a minor job.

This all seems insignificant compared to the scale of some folk's projects, but it's all relative!

Cheers all!

You look at a similar stage to me... ;) I've just got my car dry... I did the sunroof and scuttle drains and it was still leaking in heavy rain.. turned out to be the windscreen, the bonding had come away from the body, so I had to have a new screen, I've just redone all my felt sound deadening too, just about ready to get the carpet back in.

Shame about the paint, a 1500 grit wet flat and a mop wont recover it?

You look at a similar stage to me... ;) I've just got my car dry... I did the sunroof and scuttle drains and it was still leaking in heavy rain.. turned out to be the windscreen, the bonding had come away from the body, so I had to have a new screen, I've just redone all my felt sound deadening too, just about ready to get the carpet back in.

Shame about the paint, a 1500 grit wet flat and a mop wont recover it?

To be honest, the bad bits are SO bad, I don't think I've got it in me to put all the time and effort to see how good I could get the better parts. I've got plenty of other stuff to keep me busy in the meantime and I plan on hanging onto this car for the foreseeable future, so it's all good!

Just realised who you are - I read your rescue some time ago. Great stuff! I find good resto threads really inspiring.

Edited by Guy