vr6paul

Nearly got heater matrix out! Help!

Folks - if anyone can help?

I have now replaced (with some family help) timing belt/plugs/water pump , thermostat, rad fan switch , blue coolant sensor etc to try and make sure the g60 keeps cool. I wanted to do the final part and replace heater matrix so that whole (effectively ) cooling system was sorted. I have all dash components out. But now at the stage of looking for (as described in wiki) 3 nuts inside the engine bay - I can only see 2 really? I assume they hold heater box on and perhaps a "heater arm". Can anyone help with any description of where to look? Then it's just the matrix pipes to try and remove - the clamps are difficult to get at. Any help please?

When I do get it out (and hopefully replaced) should I refill at radiator top hose? Any process to follow in refilling ?

Many thanks again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought there was only two ?. They are under the wiper arm linkage area, just reach in and you will find them. As for refilling, pour the coolant in to the header tank .

The third one is near the abs pump. The first two are on the heatshield behind the exhaust manifold which I'm assuming are the ones you've found. Rob, I think you mean the nuts holding the dash in.

Ok cheers - I can see 2 nuts. Car running when refilling ? Heaters on hot?

I could see one near abs pump and one to the side of the heat shield / that was it.?? Is the other integrated into heat shield or behind it?

There is one above the other on the heatshield. The lower one may be hidden behind it, I can't remember exactly sorry

No bother -

Many thanks for the help.

Will take a closer look tomorrow

Yep, 2 centred on the face of the heatshield (didn't need to remove any shield) and the other kinda behind the header tank or the front of the blower motor . I did this 2 weeks ago. 2 came out 1 needed a dose of me Fein oscillator. Git of a job hey

Not sure how you've fdone it but I did it with the semi-dash removal method. Also, as I say, 1 of the bolts securing the heater box in was totally goosed for me. Had to buzz it out. Not sure what everyone else used to replace that bolt but 1 of these (which I had in the waggon was absolutely perfect http://www.screwfix.com/p/rawlplug-r-s1-kpu120-washbasin-fixing-kit-2-pcs/5866f 15 seconds of heat with a blow torch on the screw end, 10mm sliced off the thread end. Got me out a jam for sure to be sure.

Also there are the cables attached to bottom of heater box I think . Can I lift it out and they will come ok ? Or should I be disconnecting them,? Many thanks

yep - the box, cables, dials, arm all come out as one. Watch out for a couple of cable ties though. Also worth cable tying the eyes of the cables onto their perches.

All back together now thank god! My cousin did help (when I wasn't at the car) and he removed the cables for fan control . Can anyone help confirms which one goes where? I put them on where I think they go but he fans are so crap it's difficult to tell if all the "doors" are working as they should ?

On That topic can the fans be souped up?

Ps matrix was leaking so well worth it!

All back together now thank god! My cousin did help (when I wasn't at the car) and he removed the cables for fan control . Can anyone help confirms which one goes where? I put them on where I think they go but he fans are so crap it's difficult to tell if all the "doors" are working as they should ?

On That topic can the fans be souped up?

Ps matrix was leaking so well worth it!

Chances are the doors/flaps have lost their foam and are fairly useless, given the fact that they are full of holes. I refurbished a box going on what someone else on here did. Not had a chance to try it out yet but I'm hoping for an improvement

A1C7CE36-6107-4ECA-9F4C-912FF7A949CA.jpg

BE7B368D-665C-40D5-BA08-722D0EEF6DA9.jpg

845BCB66-6C98-4F2E-B7A3-666A154612C6.jpg