robrado974

Childhood cars , which would you go for now , if you had the dough ?.

As a kid growing up in the early seventies i loved my cars .

The first i remember would be the Dodge charger , obviously from the dukes of hazzard. Personaly i would not want the General Lee , its been done to death now , a standard car would be great for me , But it must be the Hemi 440 .

My second car i remember would be the 1977 Lotus Esprit . Yes its only got 160 BHP, but oh those looks !, the design is lovely .

My third would have to be the 69 Mustang . The looks , the sound of that V8 are to die for .

My fourth is the 1980's Porsche 911 . When i was sixteen , my girlfriends dad had one , being picked up in this was amazing , a true Porka in my eyes .

And how can i forget the 77-89 Aston Martin ?, that similar Mustang shape ,the best shape Aston ever !.

Although i have numbered them ,its only as i remember them , i would have any of these cars in a flash .

Edited by robrado974

First car I can ever remember is the McLaren F1

As a child it was definitely the yank cars that appealed, Mustangs, Trans Ams and Camero's. Until the Lambo Countach and Ferrari Boxer came along. Stuff of dreams 8)

In no particular order;

Diablo SE, Esprit S4, McClaren F1, Ferrari F40, Dodge Viper.

All adorned my bedroom wall!

Gotta be the Mad Max Interceptor! The Aussie XB Falcon! LOL!

Mad-max-1.jpg

And how can i forget the 77-89 Aston Martin ?, that similar Mustang shape ,the best shape Aston ever !.

Same love that car, has the muscle car look, reminds me of a corrado as well. think it was keith floyd driving about in one on his chef show.

The only car I've really ever wanted to own more than anything, is something American with a V8 from the late 60's.. something like a Charger or Challenger. And then as an optional extra, preferably with a Weiand supercharger poking through the bonnet. Problem is prices just continue to go one way for these old muscle cars so short of a lottery win, it'll have to remain a pipedream for now!

8d54449244bc690b1754b35fcd0a7cc7.jpg

Strangely I never really had poster cars when I was younger. It wasn't until the guy across the road got a brand new Mk2 oak green big bumper Oeetinger that I started properly noticing cars. 911 or Lancia Intergrale Evo have always been my aspirational cars.

Had a 911 so may as well get a Lancia, lol I wish.

The only car I've really ever wanted to own more than anything, is something American with a V8 from the late 60's.. something like a Charger or Challenger. And then as an optional extra, preferably with a Weiand supercharger poking through the bonnet. Problem is prices just continue to go one way for these old muscle cars so short of a lottery win, it'll have to remain a pipedream for now!

8d54449244bc690b1754b35fcd0a7cc7.jpg

I don't mind this sort of car, but i can't imagine driving it to anything other than an american car meet.

I don't mind this sort of car, but i can't imagine driving it to anything other than an american car meet.

Knowing that they get legendarily bad fuel economy, then would probably only be able to afford to drive it a couple of times a year anyway!

Loving the great car lists chaps . Like Jim said though ,short of a lotto win , I've got no chance either lol.

My first memory of sportscars are of my childhood babysitter. She owned a black Lotus Éclat and I thought it was a spaceship! Evenings when the parents wanted a night out were the most exciting of my young life!

But for me my current cars are kind of what I aspired to when growing up. I used to lust after Corrado VR6s when I was a teenage driver and my big regret is that I never owned one from new (too much of a stretch for a Uni student even before the days of tuition fees!). I used to window shop in all the local VWDealers (the one that used to vaguely tolerate my dreaming had previously sold me a very nice low miles Alpine White Mk2 Golf Driver). As soon as I could afford the insurance costs on a Corrado I took the plunge.

Almost straight after Uni my best mate had bought himself a brand new Porsche Boxster 2.7. I swore to myself that I would also own one someday. It took me a few years, but currently on my third Boxster.

The cars I really lusted after have always been the 90s cars though. Porsche 993 Carrera/Turbo, Ferrari F355 Manual, BMW E30/36 M3, Maserat Shamal, Porsche 968, Lancia Delta Integrale, classic Range Rover and of course the legendary McLaren F1.

I didn't go for VWs in my early life Bill. I suppose I was influenced by my two cousins. They always had 50s and 60s fords , one cousins favourite was the sunbeam Alpine. So my first cars were MK2 cortinas , MK1 Zodiacs and Zephyr 6s . When we used to go out the local lads laughed at them, while driving their XR2s . Till i roasted them at the lights . The old Zodiac went like a rocket .

well in no particular order.

34090498313_1b71b2f96a.jpg

34901252235_03549e3c81_o.jpg

34861187356_ede900c9e2_o.jpg

34090579493_d1c750fca0_z.jpg

34090575343_709dd75818_z.jpg

Edited by ozowen

This was my first car.. in that exact colour! BLMC Java Green, promptly nicknamed 'Kermit' by my mates. bought after I was told I wasn't allowed it... rebellion!!

tr.jpg

I know they're pretty terrible.. but I only really have good memories, I had it resprayed and fitted a stero with the 80's must have seperate Graphic Equilizer!

Drove it for miles and it emptied my wallet in fuel over the time I owned it... sold it to someone in the same village as me and he promptly parked it up and let it rust away in his garden....

Then a few other sheds before moving to MK2 Golf GTI's ;)

ozowen you would have loved the car I was parked up next to on a run west coast with the other week. He actually has a nogaro blue one as well as 4 Ur quattros!! One a proper pukka rally car.

well in no particular order.

34090498313_1b71b2f96a.jpg

34901252235_03549e3c81_o.jpg

34861187356_ede900c9e2_o.jpg

34090579493_d1c750fca0_z.jpg

34090575343_709dd75818_z.jpg

There are not many of those Vauxhalls left I know . I was lucky enough to be parked next to one at a show last year .

Although I had the standard Lambo poster on the wall what I really wanted were:

Mk1 Capri 3000GXL

Mini 1275GT

Ford Model A coupe (American Graffiti style)