16vMatt

Considering a MK2 Golf GTi

Currently looking at buying a 3 door 16v GTi for a bit of fun in addition to my Corrado. Something I can modify with a bit less worry as I worry too much about taking the engine out of the C and it never going back in or just doing something stupid which would wreck the car.

It's a 1.8 16v which has been fettled with to the tune of 150bhp. Just wondering how the driving experience compares to a Corrado?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Posted in off-topic chat instead of general car chat doh!

Edited by 16vMatt

I've had 3 GTIs and absolutely love them. They are fairly similar to drive to the Corrado but the Corrado is another level. You will notice the difference on the Golf with the cable clutch and rod gear change. The thing I liked about them is that parts are generally cheaper and easier to find

I've had 3 GTIs and absolutely love them. They are fairly similar to drive to the Corrado but the Corrado is another level. You will notice the difference on the Golf with the cable clutch and rod gear change. The thing I liked about them is that parts are generally cheaper and easier to find
How did you find the handling compared to a Corrado? I think my first modification will be a wide track conversion for both looks and handling as others have said the Corrado handles better.

Oak Green to compliment the Classic Green VR?
I'd like a nice tornado red, though on a five door would prefer oak green. Corrado is currently primer grey also until I get my arse into gear and paint it haha

How did you find the handling compared to a Corrado? I think my first modification will be a wide track conversion for both looks and handling as others have said the Corrado handles better.

Handling is similar but the Corrado feels sharper and livelier.

This was a runout 8v with a few tweeks. I wish I hadn't sold it now but at the time I wanted a Corrado c2ca3dc125250d0584956a291c84eee0.jpg

Sent from my SM-G388F using Tapatalk

This was a runout 8v with a few tweeks. I wish I hadn't sold it now but at the time I wanted a Corrado c2ca3dc125250d0584956a291c84eee0.jpg

Sent from my SM-G388F using Tapatalk

Best colour for a 3 door IMHO looks bloody smart

Would love another mk2 but apparently 3 vw's is enough or so she says.
Can never have enough this will be my third though I do plan to sell my T25

Can never have enough this will be my third though I do plan to sell my T25

That's what I keep telling her but computer says NO! Can't complain to much as looking to add either a 3.2 a3 or S3 to the fleet just cant decide which. What a hard life.

That's what I keep telling her but computer says NO! Can't complain to much as looking to add either a 3.2 a3 or S3 to the fleet just cant decide which. What a hard life.
Sounds like a terrible decision to have to make, not sure I could cope with it, I'd probably have to flip a coin

Well a few hours ago I was contemplating it and now I've arranged to view a MK2 with a 1.8t AUM swap tomorrow afternoon, only 20 miles away aswell things I normally want are in Scotland or down south. Feeling pretty chuffed

Do it. Do it
Believe me I don't need any encouragement haha, won't be able to sleep tonight like a kid on Christmas eve

I went to a Mk2 after a big break and couldn't get on with it, it just felt so old. Cool to look at but became a pain especially as mine was non PAS. Fine for a little hoof about though. That was a small bumper helios 16v. I prefer small bumper models.

I went to a Mk2 after a big break and couldn't get on with it, it just felt so old. Cool to look at but became a pain especially as mine was non PAS. Fine for a little hoof about though. That was a small bumper helios 16v. I prefer small bumper models.
I've heard similar comments about it feeling dated when compared to a corrado but my T25 is years behind my corrado and I enjoy driving it so hopefully a MK2 has the same enjoyment factor.

Of course they are old, that's the point. Go back to a car where you have to operate controls that move things, instead of making a polite request to the computer to open the throttle, or turn the steering wheel and hoping it agrees with you.. :)

A Corrado is for life, not just for the MOT.

I run a Mk 2 8v with a TSR motor as a daily alongside my Storm and I'd say it's quite different to a VR6. Feels rougher around the edges than the Corrado, a bit more visceral, a bit more primitive in a good way. I'm properly fond of the Mk2, but partly because I'd say it is quite a different driving experience and doesn't feel as special as the C, but it does have a bit of 'the same but different' going on.

Stuff to look out for includes the panel around the fuel filler rusting from the inside out - it collects mud and gunk - ditto the blank for the passenger side wiper. The gear change often deteriorates and gets sloppy as the linkage bushes wear, but there's also a ball pivot directly under the gear lever that needs to be accessed from the underside of the car, rear calipers seize up, but you can replace them with Mk4 Golf ones.

Mostly straightforward to work on and parts are a lot more affordable than Corrado bits with lots of pattern options.

I don't know how a valver would compare btw. I've only had the one VR6, so that probably colours my take on it. HTH.

I run a Mk 2 8v with a TSR motor as a daily alongside my Storm and I'd say it's quite different to a VR6. Feels rougher around the edges than the Corrado, a bit more visceral, a bit more primitive in a good way. I'm properly fond of the Mk2, but partly because I'd say it is quite a different driving experience and doesn't feel as special as the C, but it does have a bit of 'the same but different' going on.

Stuff to look out for includes the panel around the fuel filler rusting from the inside out - it collects mud and gunk - ditto the blank for the passenger side wiper. The gear change often deteriorates and gets sloppy as the linkage bushes wear, but there's also a ball pivot directly under the gear lever that needs to be accessed from the underside of the car, rear calipers seize up, but you can replace them with Mk4 Golf ones.

Mostly straightforward to work on and parts are a lot more affordable than Corrado bits with lots of pattern options.

I don't know how a valver would compare btw. I've only had the one VR6, so that probably colours my take on it. HTH.

Cheers I'll make sure I look round those areas

Make sure when viewing one with a 1.8t that it's been fitted by a professional and certified. Last thing you want is to be sorting out someone else's mess if it goes wrong. Especially more so with the cheaper AUM options instead of the more sought after BAM or AMK as you can pick AUM conversions up for next to nothing these days.

Just been to view it, rust on driver's door but that was mentioned in the advert. Few dents and dings here and there, body is in good condition other than drivers door.

It bloody flew, I'm about to ring him back and make an offer. Will update with any news

Well I'm happy to say I've just bought a MK2 golf. Will put a post in the gallery with some pictures