VRTrickster

Cheap Post 92 Bonnet needed after high speed total destruction!

Something very scary happened today, whilst out on road test. My bonnet flipped up at high speed in the fast lane of the A27! Luckily I wasn't rear ended and managed to limp back home with a shattered screen.

I need a cheap replacement just to get it road worthy again.

If anyone can help, preferably in the south east please? Will also be needing a pair of hinges too, as they have sheared off!

Edited by VRTrickster

lilfuzzer, thanks for the offer but it is quite far. Would travel 2 hours or so...

marks2 I'll take those hinges off you though please. How do you want paying? Are they in reasonable order? Minimal rust etc, cheers.

Ouch. Just seen the picture mate. Nothing a few parts paint and the dent man can't sort out. With patience and perseverance. Good luck in sorting it and well done in surving it.

Cressa

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Nightmare.. something I was always terrified could happen on my Corrado! Hope you get it sorted with the minimum of fuss.

Thanks, Cressa and Jim. The thing is I knew the bonnet latch was stiff. I will always pull up on bonnets to check every time I close them now!

Ok cool, marks2. I'm sure they'll be great. Even better if they're Sherry pearl ;)

Tempest had the same happen on his MK1 Scirocco. Kinda harder to find parts for those cars too... so since then, as a preventative measure, actually had an extra latching safety "chain" installed on the bonnet, kinda like the chain you have on your front door. So in the event the latch fails, the safety chain should just about hold the bonnet if it flies open.

I've come close to having it happen on a couple of cars including my current E39, almost always because I just gently latched the bonnet prior to moving the car after doing some work, then forgetting to push it down and latch it. Then driving down local A road at about 60 I notice the bonnet moving up and down and hastily slow down and pull over to push it shut, and thank my lucky stars!

I think modern cars may have secondary safety systems perhaps. I think if I would of just bought a new latch for £20 a couple of weeks ago it wouldn't of happened, eh. I certainly don't want it to happen again. I may not be as lucky!

VAG-hag, I was thinking of getting a carbon bonnet and roof skin at a later date, but have recently found out that LWS has folded. So the chance of getting a carbon replacement is slimmer.

VR6 South, sorry I didn't see your reply. Maybe we were writing at the same time. No I haven't found anything yet mate. Have you got one? cheers.

I know someone who has a late bonnet. It's in Aqua Blue though. There are some age related marks which wouldn't be an issue if you are getting it repainted.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ok cool. Can you find out how much he would want for it please? As long as it's not really dented. A few marks and scuffs, scratches etc is fine. I may just rattle can the top matt black for now. It's just to get it rolling again...

marks2 I'll take those hinges off you though please. How do you want paying? Are they in reasonable order? Minimal rust etc, cheers.

Here you go. Let me know via PM if you want them.

Ok cool. Can you find out how much he would want for it please? As long as it's not really dented. A few marks and scuffs, scratches etc is fine. I may just rattle can the top matt black for now. It's just to get it rolling again...

It's very presentable, just the wrong colour for you. PM sent.