culshaw

Rad elbow seal

Evening folks,

I recently got a new rad elbow flange from the Greek eBay bloke and snapped my old seal trying to get the old one off in one piece (it had become solid plastic).

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Volkswagen-535121647/652579365?iid=272761703784&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D48786%26meid%3D1d92e9f982b348a98a8680041d423c6a%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D112628166042&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

I ordered what I thought was a like-for-like from vw heritage but the rad elbow is still leaking when pressurised.

https://www.vwheritage.com/535121687-seal-for-water-take-off-535-121-647-mk2-golf

Is this a common issue?

Do I need to get the proper rad seal from the Greek ebay bloke?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Original-VW-Radiator-Top-Flange-Seal-O-Ring-G60-VR6-Nos-535121687-/272761705577

If not what have you guys done, have you used gasket sealant?

It’s definitely not the rad that has cracked? I’ve seen it before where it looks like the elbow has failed but the plastic part of the radiator it seats into has micro fractures in it.

I replaced mine without sealant and it leaks too . Only a tiny bit , but it still needs sorting. I got the elbow and O ring from Heritage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This seems to be a common issue. I had the same thing and did use a sealant bought from Halfords and it did do the trick. When my rad failed at the bottom though I replaced it for an all aluminium one with the elbow welded in place.

This seems to be a common issue. I had the same thing and did use a sealant bought from Halfords and it did do the trick. When my rad failed at the bottom though I replaced it for an all aluminium one with the elbow welded in place.

Obviously I didn’t over tighten it because of the plastic captive nuts in the rad , but when I removed it to put some sealant in , I found I had indeed still broken the thread . New rad for me then

Nightmare! Bad design definitely! I recommend getting an aftermarket one with the elbow integral unless you like to keep it OEM??

I may well do . Do you have a link for it ?. It’s the same design in the spoiler fitting isn’t it , metal thread going into plastic. School boy error

It should definitely seal with just the gasket and correct torque, but a bit of sealant does no harm. The real problem is that when a car overheats the plastic can warp and distort, hence it will only mate properly when bother the elbow piece and the radiator are new. It doesn't make sense as a design.

Does anyone have any links for the aluminium rads with integral elbow?

Better off with a new o ring, seal

Vw heritage worh a try

Unfortunately this was the o-ring from vwheritage

It’s definitely not the rad that has cracked? I’ve seen it before where it looks like the elbow has failed but the plastic part of the radiator it seats into has micro fractures in it.

Hmm i'll take a look, but I don't think so.

It should definitely seal with just the gasket and correct torque, but a bit of sealant does no harm. The real problem is that when a car overheats the plastic can warp and distort, hence it will only mate properly when bother the elbow piece and the radiator are new. It doesn't make sense as a design.

Does anyone have any links for the aluminium rads with integral elbow?

I was looking at new rads but I was really hesitant after reading they don't last as long as the HELLA ones.

I got a new elbow and gasket from vw heritage when mine cracked worked a treat torqued up to 10nm no leaks.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I got a new Hella one from Advanced Radiators, adrad.co,uk, part# VW328 a while back and haven't had any issues. Cost was about £100.

I just use an O-ring from one of those big boxes you buy, about 300 o-rings for under £10. I do put a bit of the blue sealant on as well, but only on the flat areas of the elbow flange (i have the gruvenparts elbow, so can't remember how the plastic one looks from underneath).

On the reviews for the Greek elbow someone has said that it's a topran elbow not a vw one. Check if your elbow has a vw part on it

On the reviews for the Greek elbow someone has said that it's a topran elbow not a vw one. Check if your elbow has a vw part on it

Yeah definitely has a VW number, I'd have sent it straight back if it wasn't :)

I think I need to double check for micro fractures

Yeah definitely has a VW number, I'd have sent it straight back if it wasn't :)

I think I need to double check for micro fractures

Yeah definitely.