Westie

Sunroof advice please

Hello all,

Just a quick one, my VR's sunroof felt strip around the outside of the metal outer roof panel has deteriorated and now the white rubber seal underneath is trying to escape. :(

Does anyone know if there's a way of repairing it or am I looking at a new/replacement roof??

Be a shame to have to replace the whole roof unit as it works fine other than this.

Cheers.

Ah brilliant, thanks for the info.

Do I ask the Stealers for it, or is there somewhere else I can get it from??

Cheers.

Apologies for the slow reply.

I bought one from EBay in the end, there are a few sellers on there and I went with a seller who's based in Germany and I believe produces them.

I'll give a report on fitment and quality when I receive it.

Hope that helps.

Good man. I got one from the dealers years ago and when I came to fit it I had to cut it to length and it was a complete pig to fit, especially around the corners. It’s easier to fit with the roof out but not much, I wouldn’t try fitting it with the roof in again though.

When the wrestling was over the finish was pretty good though so I’m curious how you get on.

Good luck matey.

Well I know this reply is awefully slow but I was asked to give an update to the roof seal issue when done and finally here we are 😊.

So after being messed about by couriers with a sunroof seal I had bought from eBay that never arrived and had to get a refund for, I purchased a genuine seal from VW Heritage for many pennies.

Today I finally got around to fitting the seal and at first tried to fit it with the roof in, took me ages to get it close but not right. After a quick scan in here there was a very helpful post by VAG-hag saying there's four wee bolts holding the roof in.

So I followed the advise and removed the roof and the new seal (after a quick trim) now sits nicely it position 👍.

I fitted the seal with the ends meeting at one of the sides of the sunroof, this is how it was when removed so I put it back as was before. (Apparently this is how VW do it).

I will say that although not the most complexe of jobs to do, it is a bit fiddly, especially trying to get the ends to meet nicely and ensuring the felt thats glued on doesnt come apart from the rubber. Why the 'genuine seals can't be cut to exact length I don't know...?? 😖

So there ya go, hope this info helps or at least wraps this thread up nicely.

Cheers all,

Westie 😎