Cressa

Vr6 clutch Master &Slave cylinder recommendations

Ok everyone, what did you swap yours to and what did you pay please.

I would prefer to consider people's recommendations before I guess at what I ought to fit as a replacement.

I tried to drive the car out of the garage today, noticed the the brake warning light was on !! Pressed the clutch and it stayed at the floor. Reservoir is low so I've lost it somewhere. Going to change both for peace of mind

Cressa

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Slave is widely available as an ATE part. The master is very hard to find and there are two types, one with a ball joint at the pedal and one with a plastic loop. Brembo make the second type still, and I can get the part number for you.

You can fit a later part from VW, but this seems to require changing the pedal and some brackets.

32a50b06b5a2ec82e43df4c378e8c522.jpg

195ba97efbf1bc0a01bdd7912ad3457f.jpg

Oh, and there's also the line between them - a lot of people replace that with a braided part. The fabric covered one that feeds the master from the reservoir can also get damaged and leak.

In most cases what you describe is a classic sign of a failed slave, provided there is no fluid around the pedal and floor inside the cabin at the bulkhead. So I'd say replace that first as it's cheaper and easier to source and less labour to fit. Although inevitably the master will also go eventually so a good idea to do both, but it might buy you some time while you try to source one.

There is also a company (past parts I think) that can refurbish your old one if you can wait for the turnaround. They clean it, bore it out, fit a stainless sleeve and new seals and paint it.

I find it quite annoying that a part that's so safety critical is so hard to come by. Dear VW....

A Corrado is for life, not just for the MOT.

Yeah, I agree. I've mentioned it to our dealer a couple of times - Classic Parts should really be onto this and the brake master - I think the problem is that they are both RHS specific.

I haven't fitted the Brembo one to mine yet - on the long to do list. I willing to sell on the first one with the plastic clip and ball end if it's of any use to anyone on here - but you need to check carefully that it will fit.

Fendervg, how much do you want for the ball and loop one. Got mine off today and it is the same part. Just let me know.

Cheers

Cressa

Cressa - not sure which one you mean, is it the first or the second photo? The Brembo one is not for sale unfortunately as it will be going on my car (however I sourced it from GSF here in Ireland about 6 months ago, so they might still have some in stock).

The first one is - it's an ATE/VW part. Let me know.

Fendervg, how much do you want for the ball and loop one. Got mine off today and it is the same part. Just let me know.

Cheers

Cressa

I meant to say the ball and clip one. .

Going to replace my master again, i did fit one from an audi or similar and although it looks pretty much the same and works fine, i find the rod that connects to the clutch is too long, so my clutch sits really high and i had to adjust the brake to suit that, but the accelerator isn't adjustable so sits about 2 inches lower than the other two pedals

Can you not just fit a packing piece between the master and bulkhead to drop the pedal to a sensible level?

Good idea, going to look into that now, do you think old cereal box will do it? :lol: Might just get away with some washers

You need to seal off the bulkhead to prevent water ingress into the cabin, so a piece of plate the same thickness as the difference in length on the rod, 3 holes to suit the master and longer bolts? Or are they studs on the master itself?

Hmm. More to consider than i thought. The one i fitted says its for a vr6 golf synchro. Not sure why it would be longer. The same place is now listing one for corrado but looks exactly the same part too me, although could just be generic photo.