Jim Bowen

Rear Wheel Bearing Upgrade

Hi everybody!

Am looking into the polo rear bearing upgrade and as usual i get confused by what parts i need to order, anyone here able to help?

Firstly i've found this thread on here:

http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?91682-VW-Polo-sealed-bearing-upgrade-rear-stub-axles-hubs-and-powdercoated-disc-shields-SOLD

and Yan via Facebook linked me to this thread:

https://clubgti.com/forums/index.php?threads%2Fpolo-ibiza-stub-axle-on-a-golf-mk1-to-mk3-guide.177988%2F

One mentions a polo 9N, the other a polo 6N.

What i have:

Corrado VR6 5x100

Mk4 Golf rear calipers

Teves20 ABS

Quite like the idea of having vented calipers,

Figured i need:

Stub axle

ABS ring

Brake discs

Bearings

Do i need different brake dust shields?

I noticed they sell a polo 9n disc with bearing already fitted to it.

Its quite an interesting upgrade, I've just changed an ABS sensor last week and did think how daft it was that the whole bearing needed to be taken apart to change to disc. Although this method would make changing an ABS sensor somewhat more difficult.

I've just had a skim read and by the sounds of it, polo 6N onto none VR6's is just a bolt on upgrade, fit everything and you are done.

VR6's cause the problem & confusion, this is how I understand it, :

-option 1 if you bolt 6N stuff straight on you'll need 4x100 - 5x100 wheel adapters

-option 2 you can use polo 6N stub, with polo 9N hubs and some work to fit the ABS ring (not sure what that is)

-not sure on this part, think this is option 2 + fitting 256mm discs which you really want to do but not 100% sure on this.

I'll have a look later and see if I can figure it out

Cheers Swifty

I've gone through parts catalouge and think these are parts i need (i'll go to vw and get a price as i've rather fit new genuine parts if not too expensive.

Polo 6N Stub axles = 6N0501118 & 6N0501117

Polo 9N hubs = 6Q0598611 (not sure if these include bearings or not)

Lupo Gti Spacers = 6E0501465A & 6E0501466A (not 100% sure i need these yet)

8x Bolts = N90759801 These are M10x1.25 x 40 Figured if i get the longest ones i could always trim them down if req.

Then its just the 256mm vented discs, unsure which model these come from.

If you wanted to go vented 256 you would need an adapter plate but you could then use the setup from a lean cupraR, have seen people cut the plate from the ends of the cupraR rear axle and use that

I just want the easiest bolt on option, what size are standard rado discs? 256?

If i just wanted solid discs what could i use, plus i need to buy new abs pick up rings (think my last lot of rado discs the rings came pre-fitted to disc

Is this really worth it unless you have a track car and are burning through discs, or fancy the cosmetics of bigger and vented rears?

Having the bearing integral to the disc is admittedly an outdated and awkward way of doing it,but how often do you need to change them? If you fit good discs and pads you'll get plenty of miles out of them, the discs will last for a few pad changes, and the VAG OE bearing lasts for a very long time once properly adjusted. If there is play in them they cam be tightened within tolerances.

Besides, the rear brakes do very little unless the car is loaded up, or as above you are on a track.

I think it was my fitting of them that has lead to them getting damaged, they have only done about 2000miles. I just prefer the idea of something i can just bolt on and not have to worry about them being fitted correctly.

I did this to my Corrado using late mk2 16v front discs and polo axles and hubs on the rear http://www.the-corrado.net/showthread.php?98054-My-Inca-Blue-91-G60-by-Bauhaus I tried to describe it with some detail but Not sure if the photos are still visible as I cant see them since photophukit went to a paid subscription.

Cheers, pics are helpful, whats involved in modifying the hub to fit the abs ring?

Cheers, pics are helpful, whats involved in modifying the hub to fit the abs ring?

I just measured the pcd of the ABS ring mounting holes, put the hub in a lathe and scored the same pcd onto the hub, then placed the ABS ring on hub and marked out the hole positions around the pcd before drilling and tapping the mounting holes.

The std VW ABS rings was only put on for the racelogic traction control system I had at the time.

Am starting to think Fendervg may be right, might just fit standard stuff and try adjusting it properly :lol: Will be much cheaper and faster to source the parts

Is this really worth it unless you have a track car and are burning through discs, or fancy the cosmetics of bigger and vented rears?

I must admit I've only gone bigger for cosmetic reasons behind the 17's

But the bearings are better and I have heard of MOT testers who dont have experience of older cars failing the rears for the play they have

Fixed it today with standard stuff. I used Meyle stub axles and bearings as they were easy to order online from vw heritage. Will report back on how they last as people seem to have mixed opinions on aftermarket stuff.