Sign in to follow this  
olly elworthy

Best Cam for G60

i have a piper 285 fast road cam is this a lower duration? also does anyone else run this cam and do they have any opinions on whether its good or not compared to standard as ive only ever driven with this cam! thanks andy

its a 268 cam :wink: with similar lift to my kent cam,,

thats why i bought the kent,, as it has a duration in between the two to keep the powerband within the revs i`m using but lots of valve lift to ensure my big valve head is working nicely,, may upgrade to a 268-276 oneday though,,

I've got a 1800 8v G60 engine from a Corrado and have transplanted it into my golf mkII.

The head has been ported, it has a cone filter and a front mount intercooler form a Merc ML something. Currently I have my old golf exhaust, which is a 4-1 branch & 50mm exhaust.

Would it be worth me fitting a 268 duration cam and vernier pulley that I had in my old 1.6 8V carb engine...?

Sweet, yeah that's what i was thinking.

Do you know if the standard G60 cam would be a higher lifting cam than my 268 8v cam...?

how would i go about measuring the lift of the cam, is it from the top to bottom of the lobe...?

Thanks

Sorry guys, i have asked this question on other posts...

But here in South Africa there's not much info on the G60.

Is it a special / different type of cam for the forced induction motor, or can a cam from a naturally aspirated motor be used... coz I've got a 268 reprofiled cam that i had in my old 1600 golf motor, and was wondering if it would work...? If do change the cam it go will a 68mm pulley and a dyno tune to remap my gotech fuel management system...

Thanks

sorry guys i just did another search on the forum about cams... read the first few posts, and posted my reply... almost the same as i posted a while ago, sorry.

OK but is there a major difference between a naturally aspirated 8V cam and a G60 cam...?

Thanks

OK but is there a major difference between a naturally aspirated 8V cam and a G60 cam...?

Thanks

no, its all the same

best cam for G60 i think is the schrick 288° :D

MS-G60, that's not right matey...

the cam on a charged car tends to have no overlap - ie the exhaust and inlet valves are never open at the same time.... on a N/A car this overlap can be used to increase power, where on a F/I car this will decrease power...

Ressurection!

Guys...Im considering camming mine, i don't mind a slightly lumpy idle and id like more umph mid range/all round really. Everyone seems to say that people always suggest the shrick 268/272? but i don't actually see that many people running them and then actually suggesting them. Just as many voters for this cam as the newmans really from reading quite a few threads.

My current power graph is here> http://www.awesome-gti.co.uk/rollingroad/graph/rr.gti_070608/riley.jpg so what would people suggest?

Current spec is:

full blend charger making 14/15psi.

sierra cosworth fmic

68mm pully and sns stage 5 chip

ported/polished t/body

decat with standard exhaust system

rsr outlet

I will be going for red top injectors, 4 branch zaust manifold and full system and then a remap so any thoughts appreciated. :)

Neil.

I've tried the Schrick and the Piper 285. Both are good, and both made good power (the Piper made 212bhp in my 1.8 and 233bhp in 1.9). I am now runnign a Schrick assymmetric one - I've just had it mapped at Stealth and am now making 246bhp. Although to be honest it looks from the description that you're running a standard head (can't see any mention of head work) so I'd probably suggest sticking with a stock cam (dons flame suit).

Cheers mate, standard head aye...It had new stem seals etc etc a while ago so ill be sticking with it for a bit.

I have seen the standard cam mentioned, but surely a little extra lift/duration with minimal overlap will see good use of boost thats built up in the inlet side of things?

Bit of an update Riley. Just had an interesting session at Surrey Rolling Road. Given that's where all my work has been done in the past I wanted to see how their numbers compared to the old values I got the the Piper cam (note the 246 in my post above was measured at Stealth after the ampping was done). Scarily I got the same values for the new Schrick cam (run on a nice cold day today) that I got for the Piper cam in the middle of summer, when compared on the same dyno.

Cheers for the update mate 8) Seems the piper is a good bet then for your set up...

Does anyone have the standard values of the standard cam? And anyone any experience with the newmans 264?

Neil.

Im looking at these three and wondering if its gonna be more beneficial to have more degree's on the inlet side?

Schrick - 268/276

Dbillas - 270/264

L+sCartec? - 284/272

What do people think that the l+scartec one would be like?

Anyone know the lift etc for the above cams, and the standard g60 cam?

Neil.

Im looking at these three and wondering if its gonna be more beneficial to have more degree's on the inlet side?

Schrick - 268/276

Dbillas - 270/264

L+sCartec? - 284/272

What do people think that the l+scartec one would be like?

Anyone know the lift etc for the above cams, and the standard g60 cam?

Neil.

Ok, apparently the standard cam is 256/252?

The l+s cartec above is:

valve lift 11,8 / 11,6mm

duration = 114°

Any thoughts guys?

Edit: Another one in the mix.

Newman volgs/264

264/278

Lift - 11.75/11.00

duration = 112°

Heres some more info on the Shrick and Piper ones I used Riley..

Piper 285 is a symmetric 268/268, lobe centre 114, timing 20-68/68-20, lift 11.13/11.13mm. Why it's called a 285 I don't know. Product code is G60BP285H

And the schrick an asymmetric 265/278, lobe centre 112, timing 22-66/70-26, lift 11.2/11.5.

Rough guess, the L+S Cartec will be a wild and lumpy cam, more suited to a heavily flowed head and race conditions. However, anybody who's used one feel free to come and contradict :lol:

Cheers for the info mate, spot on 8)

I wouldn't mind sommet a bit lumpy/wild overall, but im really interested in the distribution of the split duration cams mentioned too...The dbillas and the l+s cartec both have more umph on the inlet side which i like the idea of.

You don't know what the overlaps of any of the above work out at by any chance mate?

Im considering a cam that i could use for a good while, while also porting another head meself and fitting tougher valve springs etc.

Neil.

Afraid the only info I've got is that which was given above mate. I ran the Piper in mine for ages (but with a flowed head) and that was fine. I think the problem you'll come up against, is when you are running it one your standard head, the flow is not sufficient to make good use of the cam. Therefore you'll see little if any benefit, and it'll feel like a dog.

Aye, i know what ya saying mate 8) The g60 head must be massively restricted, especially looking at the extra flow that cncheads.co.uk can get from them! Unbeleivable tbh!

But the whole flow is obviously split between the ports,finish and valve sizes/lift/duration etc too, so there has to be some benefit from fitting a cam that will lift the valves a little more, and for a little longer. I have 15psi trying to get through the head at the minute so id be happy if i could drop that a little 8)

Probably best to wait till i sort a head but id like to get it on the rollers again to see the difference!

Have got a 3.5bar fpr/new red tops coming, and the 4 branch and new system will be going on along with a remap...Would just be nice to throw a new cam in there too for the hell of it :lol:

Guys, anyone know the overlaps of any of the cams mentioned in this thread?

Think im decided on one pending this final bit of spec. How does 44 degrees sound???

Cheers, Neil.

I have a 268/260 cam from BBM in the States. anyone running a cam like this? what should this do performance wise in the rev range?