tonedef

Steering Rack Refurbished

Had my steering rack refurbished by http://www.powerracksdirect.co.uk/

Excellent service, called them Monday, rack collected from my work by their courier on the Tuesday and back in our stores by the following Monday. Rack refurbished, new steering arms and lock nuts, new clips on the gaiters and a fresh coat of paint. Chris kept me informed of progress all along. £205 +VAT all in.

Fitted today and feeling so much better than the clunky thing I sent away!

Great information, I can see me doing this, certainly saves me searching around for someone to do the job, or even worse, me trying it myself:lol:

Do they do anything to the insides of the rack or just the replace seals? I've been wanting to do something with my steering rack for ages now as its covered 230,000miles

Can't find new genuine ones for sale, i did start to wonder if a rack from another car may fit

Do they do anything to the insides of the rack or just the replace seals? I've been wanting to do something with my steering rack for ages now as its covered 230,000miles

Can't find new genuine ones for sale, i did start to wonder if a rack from another car may fit

I think they do whatever needs doing. Mine wasn’t leaking, it felt lumpy when you turned the wheel, almost like there was a damaged tooth on the pinion. Feels smooth now, only done about forty miles so time will tell but it’s a world different so far.

Forgot to write in the original post, guy I spoke to there was called Chris, couldn’t have been more helpful.

I got one off them last week after mine dropped it's kegs all over the floor.

They dropped it off the next day and sent mine in exchange. You probably have my refurbished one :D

I got one off them last week after mine dropped it's kegs all over the floor.

They dropped it off the next day and sent mine in exchange. You probably have my refurbished one :D

Possibly the other way round as mine was sitting in our stores at work a couple of weeks as I was offshore. Although when I phoned they said they were waiting on an exchange one coming back in so I might get my own back. Spot on, whatever!

I think they do whatever needs doing. Mine wasn’t leaking, it felt lumpy when you turned the wheel, almost like there was a damaged tooth on the pinion. Feels smooth now, only done about forty miles so time will tell but it’s a world different so far.

Forgot to write in the original post, guy I spoke to there was called Chris, couldn’t have been more helpful.

Nice to hear, mine is rather clunky and must be the only part i haven't changed yet.

Possibly the other way round as mine was sitting in our stores at work a couple of weeks as I was offshore. Although when I phoned they said they were waiting on an exchange one coming back in so I might get my own back. Spot on, whatever!

Not sure why I wrote last week... last YEAR!

I've bought a spare, so hoping to send mine off next week or so. Just hope i don't get someone else's clonky one back :lol:

I've bought a spare, so hoping to send mine off next week or so. Just hope i don't get someone else's clonky one back :lol:

Fingers crossed eh, mine's still feeling good after a month a five hundred miles. :thumbleft:

Fingers crossed eh, mine's still feeling good after a month a five hundred miles. :thumbleft:

Still going strong?

I’ve sent them an email today to arrange sending mine down.

Did you send it complete with the rubber boots and track rod arms?

Send it down with the arms/boots. They know what to replace them with then in terms of size etc. It comes back with the arms and boots fitted as they won't put any warranties on the rack unless they fit these (that's what they told us at work when we had a VW T25 rack overhauled by them)

Yet to try out the Corrado rack I had done by them as it's for the project car that's currently on hold until my camper project is finished(or at least mobile under it's own steam)

Edited by SteveM

Send it down with the arms/boots. They know what to replace them with then in terms of size etc. It comes back with the arms and boots fitted as they won't put any warranties on the rack unless they fit these (that's what they told us at work when we had a VW T25 rack overhauled by them)

Yet to try out the Corrado rack I had done by them as it's for the project car that's currently on hold until my camper project is finished(or at least mobile under it's own steam)

The thing is, I’ve already bought the new arms and boots. I’ve explained that in the email to them. I’m happy for them to supply them though or use the ones I have. Time will tell what suits them best

I would imagine they wouldn't put any warranty on customer supplied parts. You could always sell what you already have and recoup some money back towards the new rack.

I would imagine they wouldn't put any warranty on customer supplied parts. You could always sell what you already have and recoup some money back towards the new rack.

I know mate, I don’t expect them to use my bits but not to worry, I have more than one Corrado:lol:

Still going strong?

I’ve sent them an email today to arrange sending mine down.

Did you send it complete with the rubber boots and track rod arms?

Yes I sent the whole thing as they asked, just kept the track rod ends as they were brand new OEM. They replaced the rods as one had been cut down at some time, some clown must have been struggling to set the tracking......always wondered why it seemed to have more lock one way than the other!

Bit of a strange one from the above guys. I phoned them as I had no reply to my email. The guy Dean wouldn’t help at all. He insisted I go through a garage and that he would not deal directly with me?

I can easily enough get the MOT station garage I use to do the deed but it seems a bit of a palaver.

What did you other guys do?

I just walked in off the street(admittedly in work branded clothes) and dealt with Chris, didn't have any problems... 🤔

I just walked in off the street(admittedly in work branded clothes) and dealt with Chris, didn't have any problems...

Certainly seems a bit of a poor show. You’d think they would be happy to be getting business. I did mention that they had been recommended a couple of times on a Club Forum but the guy couldn’t care less.

I would rather not use them now but it’s obvious they do a good job and that is more important than my feelings:lol:

If you get any problems, you can always mail the rack down to me at work and I'll take it in for you.

Mate that is a very generous offer, and it’s one I’d quite like to take you up on if that’s ok?

I’ll happily give you something for your trouble as I’m keen to get this done fairly soon and the thought of grovelling to my local garage doesn’t really appeal.

I’m out just now but will fire you a PM later on if that’s ok? :)