Cressa

Crackpipe/transfer pipe drain ideas?

I'm going to be changing the above pipe and was wondering what people have done in altering the drain valve part. Has anyone achieved a drain off point like the ones on the posh metal versions. Perhaps I should have just bought a Gruvenparts item but the VW one wasn't too expensive and has lasted a very long time.

I'm sure as I'm tinkering I'll be draining it a few times more. Just a Sunday thought !!

What's wrong with the VW drain plug? Worked fine for me for years - although I did eventually change the pipe to a metal one. The drain plug on that is a tiny allen head one that can seize due to corrosion though - so not sure which one is better.

Most important is to thoroughly clean out and sand down the mating surfaces at the water pump end so that you get a proper fit and don't ruin the seals when fitting.

I can only agree with the above. Obviously your pushing a plastic pipe with a rubber ‘o’ ring seal into a metal hole . It’s a tight fit too because it has to be.so make sure the hole into the block is free of metal burrs , before pushing the pipe in .

I Was looking at the idea of removing the drain plug, then fitting something that shuts off that I can fit a pipe to, to assist in draining. Was just a thought.... if I find something I'll post it up. Obviously I still miss TAPATALK for the ease of posting pictures.

Good suggestion. I have the gruvenparts one which has a reverse thread drain which is not ideal. Preferable would be a 90 degree ball valve drain point with a nozzle to attach a hose. The only risk here is if it were to get knocked accidentally...